The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

Does this m14 load sound alright to you guys?

About to cook up my first batch ever for the m14. (norinco 18.5")

I hear the 4895's are good but I have a 4 lb of IMR-4064 and I want to finish that before I buy more.

Hodgdon's 4th edition has a load that Im thinking about- Ill start off loading 100 rounds of this and when my rifle gets back from the smith Ill try em out.

- 39.7 gr IMR 4064
- C.O.L- 2.777
- Hornady 150 gr FMJBT

-Winchester commercial brass(cant find LC in Canada)
-CCI #34 primers
-Hornady 150 gr FMJBT

Im a bit of a reloading newb(have reloaded for 1 bolt gun).

Safety- Size, trim, n put a bullet into 1 case. Put this into my lyman 308 headspace gauge. If the projectile fits it should be safe to shoot, yes?
Old December 26, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Slamfire

That is very mild. I was using 42.5 grains H4895 with a 155 SMK, getting 2700 fps I think you could go 42.0 grains IMR 4064 and still have a mild load. I am going to estimate that 43.5 grains IMR 4064 is a max load for your gas system and that bullet.

IMR 4064 is an excellent powder in 308, but it throws so poorly I use the 4895 type powders the most.

Do make sure that you use a Wilson type case gage in setting up your reloading dies, and it is best to use a small base die in one of these mechanisms. I assume the Lyman gage is similiar to a Wilson gage.

Either push the shoulder back 0.003" or failing the knowledge of the headspace of your rifle, size to gage minimum.

You absolutely do not want long or fat cases as the bolt will be crunch fitting the case and the lugs will not be engaged. In that crunch period that free floating firing pin will be wacking the primer and you do not want the primer going off if the lugs are out of their recesses.
Old December 26, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't load up 100 of anything without trying 5 or 10 first.