The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Kalgalath

barrel change on a Raging bull

I need to know how difficult it is to change barrels on a Taurus Raging bull? I want to purchase the revolver with the 8 inch barrel, but i also want to purchase the snub nose and change the barrels out as the to what I'm going to be doing that day. How much is the snub nose barrel going to cost me and will changing the barrels out several times a year cause the revolver in general to be to loose?
Old January 9, 2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

they don't make them to take off... & getting my "raging" barrel off the gun was really difficult ( I think they use a thread locker ) in a couple times, I think the gun would be unserviceable...

but I do have a switch barrel, using a Dan Wesson barrel shroud ( the guns are really close, & only minor machining was needed ) with the Dan Wesson barrel shroud, you need to have new barrels threaded in the Taurus thread size & pitch, on the gun end, & the Dan Wesson barrel nut theads on the muzzle end... with this set up, you could in essense make a "raging" pistol pak like Dan Wesson has, with any number of barrel lengths...

mine was not a 454 Casull, but rather a Raging Hornet... I didn't like the 10" full under lug barrel ( it was very muzzle heavy ) I picked up a stainless 6" barrel shroud, & replaced the 10" slower twist Hornet barrel, with a 6" 1 in 9" chunk of 223 barrel for a fast twist 22 Hornet... love the gun in this set up...

you can do a search for Dan Wesson pistol paks, to see how versitile they can be, & here is a link to the thread of that gun build, if you need to see some pics of what I'm talking about

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360182

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Kalgalath

Can you show me a picture of what you have.... I'm really needing that 454
Old January 9, 2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

there are several pics in the link in my previous post... there would be no difference in doing 454 & 22 Hornet, other than the barrel stock, since the action is the same for both guns
Old January 10, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
buck460XVR

I dunno...maybe it's me, but unless one is a machinist/custom gunsmith and can do the work themselves, wouldn't it be cheaper and more advantageous to just buy two guns? I mean Taurus RBs are not that expensive( my LGS has .454 RBs for under $800 and .44 RBs for under $600) and other than the novelty, if one want's both barrel lengths, I'm thinkin' two guns for the same price are better than one gun with two barrels. JMHO.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:32 PM   #6
TennJed

If you could find one to do it, I would bet it would cost more than a secon gun. Also it would void Taurus lifetime warranty. I recommend 2 guns
Old January 10, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
wpsdlrg

Another small point is that Taurus will NOT sell barrels for any of their guns. (They will re-barrel a gun for a fee, if you ship it to them....but they won't even sell a barrel to a gunsmith.) So, in order to get one, you'd have to get a used one.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

In addition you'd have to have hundreds of dollars in special tooling to change the barrel.

Among the tools needed are a lathe to trim the barrel shoulder, a special frame wrench with the polymer inserts to fit the Taurus frame, a special cutter tool that works down the barrel to cut and set the barrel-cylinder gap, a special set of cutters and lapping tools to re-cut and lap the forcing cone, and a special plug gauge to gage the forcing cone.

This is why most manufacturers will not sell revolver barrels to anyone. Most people think that locking the barrel in a vice and using a hammer handle to twist off the frame and turn it back on a new barrel is about all that's needed.

Revolver barrels are not just fancy pieces of threaded pipe you can screw on and off at will.