The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 9, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

Reloading browning BLR- is it hard?

Ive only reloaded for bolt actions up till this point but Im pretty interested in picking one of these up. I hear that the action is pretty strong and can handle decent loads. Im interested in the 308 and wondering if theres any tricky things to it that I wouldnt be used to reloading for bolt guns.

Can I neck size only or will the lever action not close up like a bolt?
do I need to crimp after seatiing my bullets due to the lever action picking them up and pushing them around?
Old September 9, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
603Country

I wouldn't crimp, but I would use full length dies for resizing the cases. I don't know that you'd need small base dies, but I doubt it.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
JASmith

No difference between BLR & bolt guns

I've been reloading for my BLR for many years -- about 1500 rounds. There are no differences in loading technique for it compared to the '03-A3, Savage, and other bolt action rifles.

Part of the reason for this is that the BLR actually has a turn bolt action so the cartridge is locked in as tightly as it would be for the standard bolt.

The trigger pull is atrocious and the barrel band prevents the most precise of groups, but I have been able to get many 100 yard groups of 1.25 to 1.75 inches.

Last edited by JASmith; September 10, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Don H

Agree with JASmith regarding reloading for my .308 BLR.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #5
GeauxTide

IMHO

I would only ask that you consider the camming action, upon opening the bolt of a BLR, produces much less torque than a bolt action. I would use RCBS Small Base Dies and keep the loads under book maximum.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:36 AM   #6
blackhawk44

In loading for 4 BLRs over many years, I have never had to resort to small based dies. BLR chambers are usually cut to more minimum dimensions though. Be sure to keep brass trimmed. Carefully set your full length die so that the sized case will just enter the chamber fully with only finger pressure.

Regarding powders-for smooth operation the BLR likes powders toward the slower end of the burn rate chart for that cartridge. For example, the .308s would prefer 4064, Varget and RL15 over 3031 and 4895.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Dr. A

When using RCBS dies, I have to use small base dies. This has not been the case with Lee or Hornady dies. My favorite 30-06 load is right at max for my powder and bullet. It has worked wonderfully for years.