The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2000, 05:31 PM   #1
B9mmHP

They differ in the length and angle of the shoulder of the cartridge.
And since I have already fired a few hundred rounds of the 7.62mm nato through my M14 .308 and it has`nt come apart I guess they can be interchangeable?
I need some pro advice.
Thank you.
Old September 17, 2000, 06:55 PM   #2
Hutch

I think the external brass dimensions are identical. Military (7.62) ammo has thicker walls, leading to reduced case volume. The SAAMMI(sp?) specs for working pressure may be different, but I'd bet my mortage the cartridges have the same dimensions.

Now that I've thunk some more, you ARE taking about the 7.62x51mm NATO round, correct?

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited September 17, 2000).]
Old September 17, 2000, 07:08 PM   #3
Steve Smith

Read the info at www.fulton-armory.com and it'll help. Typically, you can shoot 7.62 NATO in a .308, but not always.
Old September 17, 2000, 10:39 PM   #4
beemerb

Same round!!!!!Brass thickness will vary but external dim are the same.Totaly interchangeable.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old September 18, 2000, 08:08 PM   #5
Patrick Graham

The internal case capacity of Lake City brass is less than commercial Winchester 308 brass. The Mil spec brass is slightly thicker. That's why "They" (reloading manuals) always say to back off the load 10% for military brass.
Old September 19, 2000, 05:59 AM   #6
Big Bunny

I think the Nato round may well be loaded "up" quite a bit(typical milspec!)and sized a bit smaller in diam and shoulder so it has no chambering problems in all conditions/dirty chambers etc. But for our purposes they should be interchangable in most SSAMI spec guns, I have 3x 7.62x51mm and have no problems interchangabitity so far.... but there is always the exception....I suppose!

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old September 19, 2000, 08:12 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For all practical purposes, there ain't no difference. Many reloaders use small-base full-length resizing dies, but that's to ensure reliable extraction in semi-autos or in MGs. When using new, "store bought" ammo, don't worry.

No mil-spec load is hotter; there ain't no magic in military steel. The hotter the load, remember, the less reliable the extraction in SAs and MGs. The idea of "hot loads" for military cartridges is due to the 9mm Para, where the full-auto guns are indeed stronger than handguns. Even there, the pressures are much, much lower than for rifle cartridges...

FWIW, Art
Old September 19, 2000, 10:07 PM   #8
Big Bunny

Art ...I beg to slightly differ -we find that the Aus 7.62mm milspec ammo(and 6.5x55mm swede too -incidentially) here IS fairly "hot" by our sporting and target reloading standards especially in hot conditions over 30 deg C, but the thicker cases can stand it and interestingly the aussie mil 7.62 mm rounds are never reloaded . Use of these rounds are now confined to the GPMG M60 - as the normal service round is now 5.56mm Nato.
The "Z" 9mm SMG round has been obsolete for 5 to 10 years, but it has also used in the Browning HP, still on issue and I agree it was 'over the top' in blast and felt recoil at around 1,350fps!
Interestingly and to further expand on my theme of some milspec ammo being variable in pressure etc, the British made .303BR Mk7 is a lot milder than the Greek Mk8, which was designed for Vickers MG and aircraft use. [So we do not recommend a steady diet of this Mk8 ammo in SMLE rifles of #1 variety for obvious reasons!]
So oils arn't always oils!
I feel it pays to be careful with "foreign" ammo in milspec of that country. A bargain may not always be so IMHO

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.