The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2012, 01:53 AM   #1
StrawDog

S&W 41 light primer strikes

Hello

I have a very high mileage S&W 41 that has grown erratic. Shoots fine for awhile then will hardly touch the rim. Local gunsmith reamed the chamber and it ran fine for about 400 rounds and then went back to erratic hits. I don't believe the ammo is an issue because I purchase bulk quantities of CCI standard velocity. I wonder if the gun may need springs etc. When light strikes happen, the slide appears fully forward. I've dry fired it and shot it a lot with very few issues for 43 years. Mostly mag problems that I can remember.

Thanks for you ideas.
Old July 20, 2012, 08:14 AM   #2
wyop

If you've dry fired it much, the firing pin might be peened or set back now. Have you taken it apart and examined the firing pin closely?
Old July 20, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
StrawDog

Good idea. I've never disassembled the slide assembly. Any ideas where I can find disassembly instructions?
Old July 20, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Remove the rear sight to find the release. It's not a big deal, When you get it clean and inspect the firing pin clean the channel and spring with a good solvent and never let grease or oil get to it. If the firing pin is peened it will be obvious and easy to replace. Whenever I clean my 41 one of the last things I do is squirt carburetor cleaner into the firing pin hole and blow out with my compressor. Since 1972 I have had to strip it 3 or 4 times and replace the pin once. That was pre compressor days and when I was doing a lot of dry firing without a snap cap.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--