The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 18, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
joeranger

Airline Mag Binoculars - Too good to be true?

On long flights the Skymall catalog is really interesting; especially after a few bloodies. I clip out a lot of items and randomly leave them around for my wife before x-mas and birthday. She just throws them away.

I can't help thinking that these binoculars would be really cool. The down side is size, weight and tunnel vision. With a tripod they could work as a budget spotting scope at the range.

Most sportsmen prefer compact wide fov. I have several of those.

Once you go to the $200 range, there are a lot more options. If i raise my budget to $200 are there better "super powerful" optics if size doesn't matter?
I only need to really see 5.56 holes at 200yds.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...id=69734653&c=
Old April 18, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Power is one thing. Clarity is another. Folks at the range couldn't see the bullet holes at 100 yds with their 40x telescope. I loaned them my Leupold and suddenly they could see. My point is that unless you're familiar with the company, test the glass first. Buying over the net denies you this decision making test.
Old April 19, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
FlyFish

I agree with 4V50 Gary. My experience with binoculars is that you pretty much get what you pay for, and I don't think that you can get a quality pair of everyday binoculars for $200, much less a pair of long-range giants where every factor that's part of delivering a good image becomes more critical. My upscale birding friends, the ones with far deeper pockets than I, use Leitz or Swarovski and they occasionally let me look through them - the difference between those top-of-the-line glasses and even good quality ones that run to several hundred dollars is breathtaking. A quality pair of giants is going to be in the range of ten times more expensive than the Skymall product.

More information here: www.giantbinoculars.com
Old April 21, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
griz

Does their specs really mean 20-140 power? That's absurd. Even in a more conventional power range, the only decent zoom binoculars that I've heard of cost many times that price.