The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
HappySig

first time loading 45 ACP

this is the first time I will be loading 45 ACP. I have a Sig P250 that I will be shooting these reloads out of. The projectiles I have are from centerfire reloading, they are 230 grain full metal jacket. I also have some red dot powder that my Sierra reloading manual says I can start with a load of 4.4 grains of red dot with this projectile.

My questions are:

1. Does that sound like a safe load to start out with?

2. The loading manual stated the COAL 1.270" with this projectile. Does this sound right? As this will be the first time that I am loading for a semi automatic, I am concerned about them cycling through the gun.

3. I am also concerned about the crimp on this shell, as the projectiles do not have a crimp groove.

4. Which primers to use? I have an assortment of large pistol primers that were included when I bought my reloading set up. I have: 350 Federal #150 large pistol primers. I also have about 50 CCI #350 large pistol magnum primers. I'm sure there is a difference between the two types of primers......

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by HappySig; April 12, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old April 12, 2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Shoney

What manual are you using?

I use Red Dot for lead 200 LSWC and for 230 gr LRN. Your load of 4.4 grains of RD is a good starting load, but maybe a little low. Be aware of the possibility of bullets sticking in the barrel.

May I suggest that you load 10 of the 4.4 gr and then 10 more with 4.7 gr and increase by 0.3 grains until you are at max. Shoot each 10 cartridges at it's own single well marked target, then evaluate.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; April 12, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:45 PM   #3
zippy13

The current Alliant Powder Reloader's Guide lists only a Speer 230 gr TMJ RN and shows a maximum charge of 5.3 gr of Red Dot at 832 fps using CCI 300 primers and a COAL of 1.260"

You may have noticed that the freebie manuals have become pretty proprietary. The Alliant Guide lists only components that are part of ATK Commercial Products.
  • My older Sierra reference recommends for their 230 gr FMJ a starting load of 4.4 (700 fps) with a maximum of 5.5 gr (875 fps) of Red Dot.
  • Speer data of the same vintage recommends for their 230 gr. FMJ RN a starting load of 4.8 (768 fps) with a maximum of 5.3 gr (843 fps) Red Dot.
  • Hornady data of the same vintage recommends for their 230 gr. FMJ FN (and RN) a starting load of 3.6 (600 fps) with a maximum of 5.4 gr (850 fps) Red Dot.
  • Nosler data of the same vintage doesn't recommend Red Dot for their 230 gr FMJ FN

Shoney's suggestion of starting with 4.4 gr Red Dot, and working up, is on the mark and follows standard reloading procedures. You didn't mention if you're after a maximum power or accuracy load. Testing will tell.

I prefer CCI primers over Federals... not for performance reasons, but because of their packaging. Federal seems to go overboard with theirs and their larger form factor makes it more difficult to load some auto primers.

As far as crimping is concerned: with heavier, non-grooved, jacked bullets you'll have to keep a watch for bullet pull. Since the .45 ACP head-spaces on its mouth, avoid over-crimping. I think of it a taking out the loading flare/bell and adding just a bit more as required.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Dave R

One tip I'll add. After you load a few rounds, try dropping them in the barrel of your .45. (This is a little easier and safer if you field strip and have the barrel loose.) The rounds should drop to the right depth easily, should not go in farther if you push on them with your finger, and should fall out easily if you tip the barrel upside down.

If they pass this test, then you can be pretty sure they'll cycle properly. This test assures they're headspacing on the rim properly, they're sized properly, OAL is not too long, etc. This test DOESN'T check check for too short OAL, so watch for that. But if your OAL is too long, you'll feel the bullet contacting the lands when you push on it.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:42 PM   #5
HappySig

thanks very much guys

thanks very much for taking time to reply to my thread. I really do appreciate it.

I will follow all the advice offered here and I will post a reply when I have loaded a few and had time to shoot them. I will definitely start at the lower end of the spectrum. I am looking for an accuracy load, I am not looking for a maximum power load.