The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 21, 2011, 08:30 PM   #126
Creek Henry

Riiiiiiight. The 44mag is my other 'dream' gun I don't need But I am more likely to get a 44 than a 353 and that's more likely than a 327.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:35 PM   #127
kenno

Every 10 years another dozen fishing lures are offered and like lures ammo,
but the demographic has changed there are fewer new hunters and with elctronic toys fewer young shooters to be blitzed by adverts
The older shooters that remain know balistics and know that dead is dead at 350 yards
The elite that shoot beyond that demand dollars beyond the cost of a new PU.
Which one gets used every day?
Without free ammo and cheap rifles the sport is done for the 'Middle Incomed',, MIddle America will switch to Russian made gear and do thier hunting withthat gear, cut-out the Big $ Big 4 altogether just like after WW1 and W2.
With Russian gear I can drop a deer for .25 a round and $99 a rifle, plus tags.
The Moisen has nearly as many after MKT parts as an AR and it will only get better in the future!
I can drop a Moose with Moisen for $100. What can the Big 4 do to top that?

Last edited by kenno; April 21, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:32 PM   #128
Technosavant

Quote:
Without free ammo and cheap rifles the sport is done for the 'Middle Incomed',, MIddle America will switch to Russian made gear and do thier hunting withthat gear, cut-out the Big $ Big 4 altogether just like after WW1 and W2.
With Russian gear I can drop a deer for .25 a round and $99 a rifle, plus tags.
The Moisen has nearly as many after MKT parts as an AR and it will only get better in the future!
I can drop a Moose with Moisen for $100. What can the Big 4 do to top that?
A little melodramatic, aren't you? You're forgetting that the Mosin isn't new production. They were bought and paid for years ago, you're just buying them at what is basically garage-sale pricing to introduce some hard cash into Russia's economy in exchange for a rifle they no longer can or will use. Ditto their ammo. If you were buying a brand new one, you'd be paying quite a bit more than $100 and probably griping about how crude the thing is.

Cheap ammo and firearms are just not going to be; with commodity prices rising, you won't find too much dirt cheap ammo unless it's made in massive quantities. Regarding firearms, they've always been pricey; you're just seeing what inflation has done to the dollar- that $80 rifle of a half century ago cost about the same amount in terms of percentage of income as today's $500 hunting rifles.

I hardly think the .327 Fed Mag is indicative of pricing people out of the firearm market. It has pushed nothing out of the marketplace, nor has it driven up prices for anything else. I find it amusing how the round (as displayed by this thread) has become a Rorschach for people's dislike of the current state of the firearms industry.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:52 PM   #129
jimbob86

Quote:
CDNN has the snubbie Taurus .327 revolvers for PEANUTS! Seriously, the price on them is unreal... $239 for the snubble DAO with bobbed hammer. $299 for the 3-inch stainless, ported.
You'll get what you pay for.

..... Me, I won't pay 300 bucks for a good chance of an incurable headache: there are far too many good guns out there for a bit more money. YMMV- Different Stokes for Different Folks. Some people like to gamble, some people like pain. .... some people juggle geese .......
Old April 21, 2011, 11:18 PM   #130
Sevens

<snicker> I wouldn't buy one, either. I was just marveling at how cheap someone can be popping .327's off right now if they really wanted to.

FWIW, I don't trust the Charter, either.
Old April 22, 2011, 08:32 AM   #131
BlueTrain

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the cartridge or the concept, the concept being hotrodding a .32 revolver cartridge. That's where all the magnums came from and is this cartridge called a magnum or not? I think it is a good thing to avoid using that word in the name.

However, I also imagine more .38 specials are fired from .357 magnums than magnum rounds are and the .38 Special itself is the longer, lower, wider development of an older cartridge. None of this is bad. However, some of this starts to sound like the proponents of the .45 ACP defending themselves from proponents of a .357 Sig (the .38 Super having been forgotten). There is mostly truth on every side of the discussion here.

It is fine if you don't mind increased muzzle blast (I am assuming). You can't get something for nothing, you know, although the .38 Super has neither a bigger kick or a bigger blast than a .45 ACP, just different. Both of them are being hotrodded these days, too. But I digress.

Tell me, how does the .327 Federal (any relation to the 9mm Federal?) compare to a .32-20? Probably that has been covered already but I skipped to the end of the book. But I will say one thing. To me, were I interested, only performance counts. Not cost, not ease of reloading and not availability. If you want performance, you aren't talking paper punching and you probably aren't going to do a great deal of shooting. But that's just the way I see things anymore.

Say, is anyone trying out anything new with the .38 S&W these days. Really a neglected and overlooked cartridge.
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:41 AM   #132
Creek Henry

I also imagine that the 327 snubby to be MUCH louder than even a short 357 and that would put me off wanting one. Cops on TV shows may touch off a magazine full of 40SW rounds while sitting in a car or small office, but pull the trigger on just ONE round and you'll realize TV is not real life.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:49 AM   #133
Darren007

Quote:
What killed the .327, or any other new caliber for that matter?
There's no mystery here. The public just had a complete lack of interest in the cartridge. End of story.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:55 AM   #134
C0untZer0

First of all I don't remember gas lines in 1981. I think that happened in the
70's during the oil embargo. I could be wrong but I personally never waited in line to get gas for my car in 1980, 81 or even 82 or 83.

And secondly, I will be introducing two new handgun calibers this year the .372 magnum and the .375 short, to go along with the .357 and the .327

Hopefully people won't be confused.

Last edited by C0untZer0; April 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old April 22, 2011, 10:47 AM   #135
Slamfire

Quote:
I love the .327 mag. I know not everyone does, and I understand the reasons why. I'd like to take a public pulse. Why not the .327?
I got to shoot one. The pistol was not lighter, the recoil was not less than my 38 Snubbies and it was loud.

Niche cartridge sold by shill Gunwriters as the next big thing and rapidly heading towards the ash heap of history.
Old April 22, 2011, 11:06 AM   #136
BlueTrain

Anyone remember the .22 Jet? Or the .256 Winchester Magnum?

If being expensive or relatively hard to find were an issue, no one would be using .45-70 either.
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 22, 2011, 11:30 AM   #137
Sevens

That's where all the magnums came from and is this cartridge called a magnum or not? I think it is a good thing to avoid using that word in the name.
I think the use of the word is fine... they NEVER should have used it for the .32 H&R round. Neither the pressure nor performance of that round deserved the term "magnum." I don't think there is anything wrong with the use of the term "magnum", but for the good of everyone, it should be used with discretion. If anything, I'd argue instead of ".327 Federal Mag" it should be the ".32 Federal Magnum" but obviously... that would have been easier to do had the .32 H&R been called what it really was-- the .32 H&R Special.

However, I also imagine more .38 specials are fired from .357 magnums than magnum rounds are and the .38 Special itself is the longer, lower, wider development of an older cartridge.
I used to think this and practice it myself, too, until I re-discovered the absolute joys of shooting .357 Magnum from a large, solid revolver. I put thousands of .38's through my 686 to hundreds of magnums over the years, but in the past couple seasons, I've done all my .38 from a model 10 and I've shot nothing but .357 from my 686. Not all of it ball-to-the-wall, some were merely medium magnum loads, but so much more enjoyable then little .38 poppers.

Tell me, how does the .327 Federal (any relation to the 9mm Federal?) compare to a .32-20? Probably that has been covered already but I skipped to the end of the book.
It's not a pseudo-bottle neck round, it's not a 120-year old round, it's much more stout in brass strength and it runs at a higher pressure. Like my earlier comparison to the .30 Carb, it's similar. But different.

But I will say one thing. To me, were I interested, only performance counts. Not cost, not ease of reloading and not availability. If you want performance, you aren't talking paper punching and you probably aren't going to do a great deal of shooting. But that's just the way I see things anymore.
All well and good, but the entire buying public may not see it the same way. For me, I don't see me getting one of the .327 Blackhawks or GP-100s, but only because I'm frugal and I'm already married to the .30 Carbine in a Blackhawk. But if someone stole my Blackhawk, I'd replace it with a .327 Federal GP-100. I probably won't own both, because they are so similar.

And when you absolutely dig handloading, like myself and at least a couple of other folks in this thread do, it does matter a lot that it's much more load bench friendly.

Say, is anyone trying out anything new with the .38 S&W these days. Really a neglected and overlooked cartridge.
It may be, but it's pretty easy to see why... not the same diameter as .38/.357. It's different enough that you need different tools and components to work with it.

I think .41 Magnum would have a lot more popularity right now if it were .400" (or even if .40 S&W and 10mm were .410", either way) But they aren't, so they are different, and require a whole separate run of bullets and loading dies. Pain in the butt, doesn't help the popularity.
Old April 22, 2011, 11:32 AM   #138
Creek Henry

Also, a bottlenecked revolver round is going to have issues!

Old April 22, 2011, 12:00 PM   #139
gak

Sevens wrote:

"I think the use of the word is fine... they NEVER should have used it for the .32 H&R round. Neither the pressure nor performance of that round deserved the term "magnum." I don't think there is anything wrong with the use of the term "magnum", but for the good of everyone, it should be used with discretion. If anything, I'd argue instead of ".327 Federal Mag" it should be the ".32 Federal Magnum" but obviously... that would have been easier to do had the .32 H&R been called what it really was-- the .32 H&R Special."

I would agree against the use of the .327 nomenclature, and that it was largely a marketing ploy to play with the .357--sounding similar and "better" than .328 or .326! However, whether they knew it or not--and my guess is they did--it was probably good that they did not call it just .32 Federal Magnum, as many folks would just shorten it in daily-speak to .32 Mag, and that's already what many folks (including myself) were shortening the H&R term to. I agree, in hindsight, the H&R should have been the .32 Special or .32 H&R Special. I've shot the H&R Mag--in Ruger Single Sixes for 25 or so years since its inception (at least in Rugers), and the Smith Airweight for six or so years. They are a hoot to shoot, definitely know you're shooting more than a .22-anything, and even in mild factory form, they are "magnum" compared to most S&W Longs...And, maybe they didn't anticipate there'd be a "true" (Federal) magnum down the line.
...Yeah, I know, giving them too much credit!

I've shot a friend's .327 SP101 and really liked it, and I'd love to also see a 3" 7 shot K frame in it and a Ruger midframe SA (flat top and New Vaquero) in a .32-20/.327 convertible. A Single Six .327 is a no-brainer, and I'd like to convert my H&R Mags if Ruger doesn't do the right thing there.

Last edited by gak; April 22, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old April 22, 2011, 01:33 PM   #140
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I also imagine that the 327 snubby to be MUCH louder than even a short 357 and that would put me off wanting one.
With comparable barrel lengths and load levels, the muzzle blast and noise levels are about the same. Depending on the situation, one cartridge may be more "punishing" than the other.

Quote:
There's no mystery here. The public just had a complete lack of interest in the cartridge. End of story.
Excellent argument.

The "complete lack of interest" must be why no dealers around here can keep anything but the Taurus .327s in stock.
S&W 632s sell like hot cakes.
SP101s move like wild fire.
Blackhawks almost match the volume of SP101s
GP100s are the slowest mover, but still sell at least 1 per day, when the BHs and SPs are sold out.
And the Taurus models? Well, people look at the Taurii, and buy something else.

I think one of the biggest issues with the Taurus revolvers (aside from quality) is the cartridge designation. With Taurus making both ".32 MAG" and ".327FEDMAG" stamped revolvers (usually found side by side), I think many buyers and ignorant salesmen get confused. Firearms enthusiasts know the difference, but the Average Joe doesn't know exactly what the difference is.

Quote:
Niche cartridge sold by shill Gunwriters as the next big thing and rapidly heading towards the ash heap of history.
Look through the hype, and determine what it really is - for yourself. If you don't want it, don't buy one.

I bought the .327 to have something different, provide the wife with something cheap to feed (I reload, if you didn't read the whole thread), and I liked how the cartridge looked on paper. In return, I discovered the most versatile chambering I have ever worked with. With .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal brass, I can load lead or jacketed projectiles from 45 grains to 125 grains, from 350 fps to 1,700 fps. I load .32 Auto and .32 S&W, as well; but I can do anything I want with just the first three cases.

The .327 may not appeal to everyone, but it works well for me.
A lot of people love the .40 S&W. I think it's a complete waste of time and resources.
A lot of people love the 10mm Auto. I am a fan, as well. But, what's the point for non-reloaders, with all the neutered factory ammo that's running a lower or similar velocity to .40 S&W?

The whole point of the .327 Federal was for ATK to make money. There is no denying that. But, from a shooter's perspective, it offers us another choice. Why go to .38/.357, when you don't need to?
Why deal with the .32-20; when a straight-wall cartridge is available, that will meet or surpass its performance in many loadings, and allows the smaller legacy cartridges to be shot?
Why deal with .30 Carbine's eccentricities, when the .327 is so easy to deal with?

It's all about personal preference.

And, for you Armchair Commandos:
Keyboard range time, and time spent daydreaming is no replacement for actually shooting something. ...Especially cartridges that are difficult to make direct comparisons for.
Get out of your basement bunkers, and actually shoot the thing.
Old April 22, 2011, 02:15 PM   #141
BlueTrain

Naw, I done quit shooting.

So for that reason, I can't tell you anything about the actual performance of the cartridge, although if I were still going by the range every week, I'd still have to buy one first.

My comment about the .38 S&W was mostly in jest but still, halfway serious. An alternative to hot shot smaller caliber cartridges, how about a bigger, heavier bullet at modest velocities. That's what the .45 ACP (not supersized) are always saying, anyway. If you wanted to go the trouble, you could even load a 200 grain bullet. Frankly, I doubt anyone would bother, since nice guns in that caliber are scarce on the shelves and some I would even shoot with a mid-range load, if there was such a thing in .38 S&W. I have seen a couple of rather nice J-frame revolvers and a few WWII K-frames, too. I can't say I'd recommend a Webley from my own experiences.

How about this: a 200 grain .38 Special (standard pressure) load. Virtually guaranteed not to be a blaster but probably a pretty respectable performer. But here I go again, being old fashioned.
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 23, 2011, 12:03 AM   #142
Sevens

Quote:
A Single Six .327 is a no-brainer, and I'd like to convert my H&R Mags if Ruger doesn't do the right thing there.
Boss... the scores of folks who know and love the .32 H&R Mag single six revolvers would have made many of them by now and you'd have heard of them... if only it were possible.

Cylinder is too short.
Most of those guys have been hot-rodding the pants off .32 H&R for 25 years, so they are nearly there already.
Old April 23, 2011, 12:14 AM   #143
gak

Sevens said
Boss... the scores of folks who know and love the .32 H&R Mag single six revolvers would have made many of them by now and you'd have heard of them... if only it were possible.Cylinder is too short. Most of those guys have been hot-rodding the pants off .32 H&R for 25 years, so they are nearly there already.

It is very possible and is being done--a lot. However, though a .327 SS conversion involves no cylinder frame modification thankfully, it does require a new cylinder (and "adjustment" of the barrel-cyl gap accordingly). Bowen sells fluted blanks now for others to use, and his shop, Clements, Gallagher, etc, have been doing conversions for awhile now. Quite popular, just not cheap because it involves more than a "simple" rechambering of an existing cylinder. Still, drool.
Old April 24, 2011, 03:08 PM   #144
Wrothgar

I held a Ruger SP-101 in .327 yesterday; I almost bought it, and I still might. I like the extra shot over the .357
Old April 24, 2011, 06:34 PM   #145
athanasor

Just had to see how this thread was doing. At the range this afternoon to test fire my new Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and took the Blackhawk in 327 just for fun. It was just as much fun as the last time I shot it. Those 3" circles never had a chance.
Old April 24, 2011, 07:17 PM   #146
tjh

327 fed. mag. sp101

After shooting my sp101 in 327 and comparing it to my gp100 ,357mag Shooting 38spl. ammo recoil and noise are very close . Don't know where these yahoos are coming up with the 327mag being so loud. I have excellant hearing and loud noise bothers me , BUT the 327 out of a 3" sp101 barrel is NOT AS LOUD AS A 357 mag OUT OF A 6" GP100!!
Old April 24, 2011, 07:34 PM   #147
Sevens

My handload for .327 Federal Mag with 85 grain XTP's are about one grain less of Alliant 2400 than my load for 158gr JSP's in .357 Mag -- in a much smaller cartridge case and a max pressure of 10,000 PSI higher than the .357 Magnum.

I don't have any sound testing equipment but I'm going to suggest that in reality, .327 Federal from a 3-inch barrel is indeed going to be louder than .357 Magnum from a 6-inch barrel. But I also have no doubt that much like felt recoil, noise and blast is a very subjective thing.
Quote:
Don't know where these yahoos are coming up with...
That would be the same place you are coming up with your opinions.

Ever heard .30 Carbine from a 7.5-inch Blackhawk? That's damn near the same thing as a .327 Federal right there... 5,000 PSI max less than .30 Carbine.

.30 Carbine from a handgun is almost universally accepted as absolutely, positively obnoxious. .327 is damn near the exact same dimensions in every direction, running 5,000 PSI more pressure.

It could be that you are shooting the weak little Federal Hydra-Shok load from your .327. That would be an answer right there. Pick up some Gold Dots or make some proper ammo for it yourself.
Old April 24, 2011, 10:23 PM   #148
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It could be that you are shooting the weak little Federal Hydra-Shok load from your .327. That would be an answer right there. Pick up some Gold Dots or make some proper ammo for it yourself.
I don't know about that.

I agree with him, that the noise level and muzzle blast are about the same as a comparably hot .357 Mag load. And I've been experiencing .357 Mag noise/blast all my life - in anything from a 2" barrel, to a 6" barrel.

I had some of the factory .327 Federal Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, and American Eagle SPs on hand for side-by-side testing. It was .327 SP101 vs .327 Blackhawk vs .357 GP100 (4"). Hot loads in the GP100 were as punishing, or more punishing than the SP101's noise level and muzzle blast. I still don't think they were worse than a .357 Mag, but the loudest/blastiest () factory ammo was the American Eagle. (I didn't bring up the Blackhawk, because noise levels and muzzle blast are much less apparent than with the SP101.)

That's just my opinion, though.
Maybe proper test instruments would show otherwise. Who knows?...
Old April 24, 2011, 10:42 PM   #149
salvadore

A .32 that can be pushed 1400fps out of modern revolvers or 1800+ out of 92 winchesters and 94 marlin sounds like a fabulous idea. I think the problem is the name, no pizzazz, no romance, just confused with a S&W model 327. I would like to suggest a more appropriate name ummmm...how bout 32/20..yeah, that's the ticket
Old April 26, 2011, 07:08 AM   #150
Hammer It

Hi
After reading most of the responses in this thread, most that shun it are NOT reloader types. They will settle for Plain Vanilla if anything else takes extra time or work to find. To those, I say the Federal .327 is not for you. For those of us who have learned to appreciate the fine accuracy of the .32 round whether it be in .32 S&W, .32 Long, .32 H&R Magnum or the new hottest Federal .327 Magnum this caliber is a welcomed one. It is everything the .32 H&R Magnum should have been. Most that hand load for the .32 H&R Magnum and have revolver's that will take the upper velocities got bored with it. I won't say I don't like the .32 H&R Magnum, but I will say it was designed for a weaker designed handgun that went Bankrupt less than a year after the Cartridge came out.

I am Glad that S&W Made a Revolver in their Medium K-Frame Platform for the .32 H&R Magnum that had a Barrel Under-lug and was called the Model 16-4 chambered in the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge. The sales of these S&W Model 16-4's got snubbed due to short consumer demand due to Poor reports of the Mild Anemic Factory loaded .32 H&R Magnum round. But for those of us inclined to load for it, we have learned it can be taken easily into the 1400 FPS area in a Heavier framed revolver with amazing accuracy, exceeding it's factory form of around 1100 FPS or Less.

You have to like the .32 round to like the Federal .327 Magnum. One thing that has bothered me is that Federal is not producing enough ammo for it to attract your Basic Walmart shoppers. You know the type that have the Old Lady watching over them when they take the Walmart trip with the Big Grocery cart and Four Kid's hanging off the sides of it, awaiting the wife's approval for them to place anything in that Cart that is not of use to the Old Lady or the Kids. I am a little different in that area as I hate Walmart and hardly ever shop there. I don't need the Old Lady's approval to pick up or buy anything. Mine happens to shoot and enjoys any gun related purchases, and I made Damn sure of that feature back when we were dating, I was looking for a Gun partner and hunting pal when I settled down and got married. I go to gun shows and Chuckle to myself when I see some Poor brow beat Guy's being followed by one of these control Freak types that flies off the Handle at him if he picks anything up off a vendors table to look , or tells him "You Don't Need that". I hear this and think to myself, he needs to respond with Well, I don't need you either, but I Guess am stuck with you... Most of The Chin Music I hear from guys running their Pie Hole knocking this caliber comes from those that either do not have a gun chambered in it, or has a wife that will not let them spend the money to get one, as they will settle for a well worn out example of a revolver of common Vanilla caliber that come's dirt cheap, so long as the Old Lady Nagging them approves of their sub standard Purchase.

Back to the Caliber here... In awaiting S&W to come out with this round in a medium K-Frame Target sightede revolver, I became anxious, then eventualy Furious to see it not happen. Being that I only have S&W's I feared it to not ever happen. I had heard that Hamilton Bowen of Friendsville, Tennessee was making guns in this caliber, along with Converting ones that were in the .32 H&R Magnum round. I decided to get some more information on it, and since his shop is less than 30 Minutes from my house, I drove down there taking with me my Beloved S&W Model 16-4 that was chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. I knew Hamilton from the past so we skipped the meet & greet when I got there. I puled out my S&W and asked him what was involved to convert it ? He said he only had to lengthen the cylinder throats in my existing cylinder, The he would match the throats polish the internal cylinder and test fire it. My next question was how much and how long does this take ? He said since I was hand delivering and picking up my gun that the total cost of his conversion was $95.00. The wait would be a couple of weeks as he was busy, but that worked with me so I left it with him for his conversion.

Two weeks later he called and said he had my gun ready for delivery. I told him when we were on the phone, that factory Loaded ammo was no existent at that time. I then asked him if he had any once fired cases to sell ? He told me he could spare 100 of them, and that worked for me so I said I would be there in 30 minutes to pick the gun and cases up. I paid him and headed right back to the house, and into my Reloading room. I had chosen some Sierra 90 Grain Sport's Master hollow point bullets for loading purposes. I resized, deprimed and placed the brass I had gotten from him in my Tumbler. I headed into the house and printed the reloading information I had found in an old Shooting Times article, the link for that article is at the bottom of this message. I settled on using Accurate Arms # 7 Powder dispensed at 10.2 Grains per their suggestion along with a CCI Small magnum pistol primer and medium crimp. I took 50 rounds of it to the range and set up my Chrono meter to see the velocity. It clocked 1420 out of my 6" Barrel Fifteen feet in front of the Muzzle.

The spent shells extracted fine, and the primers showed to have mild flattening. I headed back home to load up a Little hotter as I saw this powder and bullet was showing much accuracy and promise. I increased the Powder some, You do that at your own risk and returned to the range later that day. This increased load showed to have a velocity of 1560 FPS and actually shot tighter groups than the previous one. I then tried some more I Loaded even a little hotter and that load showed me a velocity of 1610 Out of my 6" Barrel. Primers now looked flat, but extraction was fine and the group left behind one ragged hole half the size of a dime at the 20 Yard line. I decided to make this load my hunting round and loaded 50 More for Deer season. Our Deer season opened one week later and I took the S&W afield with me along with my Rifle.

I was hunting a buddies land and he cautioned me of a Large Bobcat the week before the season opened when I drove down to walk around and check for Deer sign. He said that this Cat was acting weird as it had been in his Back yard twice within the last month both time in daylight hours and the last time it was there tried to attack one of his house cats. he feared it would bother or harm his wife who works in her flower beds in the yard, so he asked me to eliminate it should I see it, and I obliged his request. On the Opening day of Deer season I entered the woods in the early morning darkness dressed in Camouflage. I walked to my Tree where I always sit and sat down awaiting the lightness. It grew light and I did not see one deer, and grew concerned about this by 7:30 AM as previous years I had always seen a dozen or so by that time. It occurred to me that the Bobcat he spoke of had to be in the woods so I started looked closely for any movement.

About Quarter to Eight I spotted some body movement above me on the upper woods line about 100 Yards off. This woods line bordered a Soy bean field that had been harvested and was bare but there was heavy brush on the field-Woods line area. I watched intently until the large animal I saw movement from got closer. It was out about 50 Yard when it stepped out in a clearing and I could see it was the large Bobcat he had mentioned to me. I watched it move very slowly until it got about 35 Yard from me heading right at me, where I drew down on it with my S&W and fired a round. It heard me cock my action and looked straight at me and snarled, and at that moment I fired and it toppled over, Kicked a few times and laid on it's side dead. I called my son in law who was hunting that day with me, about 200 Yard's south of my spot on my cell phone and told him to get up here. He was in total awe at the size of this cat and the fact that I had piled it up with a handgun at 35 Yards using ammo I had hand loaded. We dragged it out after dressing it and later took it to be mounted. My Taxidermist told me he had to use Two Body mounts to get it all mounted on due to it's larger size.

He said it was the largest wild cat he had ever seen or mounted in his 25 Years of mounting animals. It weighted 41 Pounds dressed out and measured a true 41-1/2" In length. He fletched the hide and carcass and estiamted it's paw weight in excess of 50 #. It is currently one of the largest Bobcats to be taken in the state of Tennessee according to The Tennessee Fish & Wildlife resource agency. And so it goes, the Federal .327 Magnum more than did it's job and I have this cat looking down upon me as I type from my Computer daily. If you have no fondness for the supreme accuracy of the .32 Round, nor the urge to load your Own ammo for it, Then it more than likely will not be for you. I like it, Just like all of my .32 Caliber hand guns and will continue to load and hunt for it to shoot Targets and Take Game with... Hammer It

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...02/index2.html