The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 9, 2007, 09:37 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Dirty Bomb Scenario

Hope this is the right forum to post this. Friend of mine ran this idea by me. We live in a place that is NOT likely to be targeted by terrorists. But we are only a 3 hour drive down a major interstate from a major metroplex (DFW) that is much more likely to be the target of terrorists. He points out that a terrorist dirty bomb or similar (sarin, smallpox, anthrax) set off in DFW will cause peeps to panic & flee to any and all points outward, including perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of those deciding to evacuate headed this way (based on the number of egress routes). That's perhaps as much as a quarter or so of the 6 million people in that metroplex, so upwards of 1.5 million heading this way, all of whom will need shelter, all of whom will need food & water. That would MORE THAN DOUBLE the population of this metro area. Some will ask nicely for said food/water/shelter; some won't. Just seems that this whole jihadist age makes having a good "homeland defense rifle" or 3 lying around several dozen times more likely to be needed than 10 years ago. Still a very small chance on an absolute scale, but much, MUCH higher chance than previously. Food for thought.... On a small scale, like the 5/3/99 tornado, we didn't have a problem chipping in and handling it - but a dirty bomb could put it on a whole nuther scale of proportion. The other major point being - don't think that just because you're in a rural or semi-rural or small city area, that you're necessarily going to be immune from the effects of a terrorist attack. I know that *I* personally had always thought that in the back of my mind - "oh, the big cities will be hit, but not us".

Attn: This is NOT a "SHTF thread" - not officially anyway.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:05 PM   #2
garryc

You should have the ability to defend your stores and property. What would be better, if it could be done, is to have a plan to lock the town down and not let non-residents enter. This would be a true application of the militia concept, maintaining law and order with the citizenry rather than just relying on police and national guard (who answer to the feds first). The question becomes, whould you and your fellow citizens be able and willing to act in the local best interest.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3
RedneckFur

Lock the town and offer no help to those infected (harsh, but its the best option) or bug out early and get further away. Its a hard thing to prepare for, but i society is falling apart, you dont want to expose yourself to disease or radiation. You may have to fight you way through it.
Old April 10, 2007, 06:19 AM   #4
BlueTrain

Beware! It's the masque of the red death!

With friends like you people, who needs enemies?
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 10, 2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Nigelcorn

I understand that with that many people needing food and shelter, it would be impossible, but that does seem a bit harsh and over-reacting to lock the town down. I have a decent amount of food and water stored up, with the thinking that if ever there is a natural disaster, I will have friends/neighbors/family who won't be as prepared and I will be able to help them out. Seems more than a bit selfish to just lock the entire town down and not even try to help some of those passing through.

Granted, if the numbers are too big, you would have to have a way of deciding who got help and who had to keep on moving, which wouldn't be a fun job, but at least try and help your fellow Americans.
Old April 10, 2007, 07:37 AM   #6
lockedcj7

There were a few communities that survived the flu epidemic of 1918 with very few casualties. The CDC has gone back and studied those towns and communities to see what they did right in case we are hit with a natural (bird flu) or man-made pandemic.

One of the things they did was quarantine their towns and military schools. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out. The quarantine lasted for several months and it was hard on the locals but there were drastically fewer flu cases than in surrounding areas.

Harsh it may be, but it works. It would be difficult these days to accomplish with whole towns but certain sectors of society could manage it such as colleges, military bases and boarding schools since they already have living quarters, food and water on site.

Like in TAPS though, they better have an armory to enforce the quarantine.
Old April 10, 2007, 08:06 AM   #7
garryc

In other than a Bio warfare situation you can go to the people and help them. That way you can control the number of resources you expend. It is not necessary to allow them into the confines of the community in order to give aid.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:38 AM   #8
DesertShooter

From all that I've read/heard about "dirty bombs", it seems to have been blown out of proportion!

True, a "dirty bomb" will kill and injure hundreds, perhaps even thousands, but the "devastation" area will be quite limited. Most of the injured persons will suffer from radiation burns AND the conventional explosives involved in the making of a "dirty bomb". A large percentage of the injured persons can be effectively treated to FULL recovery.

While a "lock-down" of your community might seem the "thing to do", most of the "trespassers" will NOT need medical care, and will NOT present any danger to your community....other than, perhaps, in their vast numbers. It might be better to NOT "lock-down" your community, and to actually WELCOME the strangers....and put them to work with helping the arrivals that ARE injured and suffer from radiation sickness.

SHOOT your fellow man down as if they are mad dogs? Well, you will have to live with that carnage, if you decide to do so! To me, that would be a "sin", especially since it may not be a necessity!

For all intents and purposes, there will be "sheeple" that will panic and run at a moments notice. No food, no water, and no other gear for surviving....and probably not many with GUNS! They just wanted to get the heck out of town, and figured that YOUR community might be a safe haven to reach!
Old April 10, 2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Alba gu brach

Why not Cow Town?

I live near downtown Dallas - I'm banking on them hitting Ft Worth

Maybe we should build a huge arrow visible from above pointing to the West.

If they hit us I'm headed to Big Bend, I could use some good chili.

AGB
Old April 10, 2007, 11:18 AM   #10
TwoXForr

First Freedom I think your numbers might be a little flawed, I would say half the population would stay in place. It happens time and time again, people too stubborn, too stupid, or maybe even incapable of leaving.

Also if a "dirty" bomb, or even a small nuke is used, people would be told to stay away from the downwind area, so that is one vector most people would not travel toward, giving you only three major vectors to travel.

Me, I live near Philadelphia, PA, that would mean the prevailing winds would take fallout and the like toward NJ. Not that I think many people would flee that way anyways. I have already laid out a route for me and my wife to take towards the relatives in western PA.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

C'mon FF; officially or not, it's still a SHTF scenario, and you know how much we just love those .

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread