The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 16, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1
cochise

It pays to listen to your instinct

I wanted to post my experience the other day. It may ring a bell of warning to some.

I left the job and in a hurry to get home so I did not retrieve my gun buried in the pick up. All the way home I had a nagging feeling I should dig out my gun. I had to stop to get gas, so before pumping, I took out my S&W model 60 and put it in my pockect, inside the holster. No sooner did I start filling up, I noticed a car off to the side, not getting gas. One fellow was out, wearing gold rings, gold necklaces, mouth full of gold teeth, pants hanging down, and his hat cocked to one side like his buddies in the car. Not trying to sterotype just describing the situation.

He came swaggering up to me saying something about how many murders and robberies there been in this neighborhood. I casually reached into my pocket and he stopped dead in his tracks. I politely said I don't do drugs, he mumbled something about NASCAR, and left.

I think my sixth sense was working yesterday.
Old February 16, 2007, 08:28 AM   #2
fixboot

Quality.
Nothing is more satisfying than a brick of .22, a few empty soda cans and all day to shoot at them..........nothing other than......Hmm...maybe my AK-47 and a bag of apples? DAMMIT who has 7.62x39 on sale right now?
Old February 16, 2007, 08:47 AM   #3
sanson

similar brief story: I was unarmed sleeping 2am in a NC rest area, I awake to some rough lookin dude tappin on my window. half asleep I get out(dumb) to see if there's problems, and hear "I need some money man".. while explaining how no money will be changing hands I noticed him staring at army dogtag. figured I'ld use this to bluff him by smiling and reaching around the small of my back where USUALLY my mustang lives. he bolted and actually he should have hit me while I was reachin around back. (will be armed more often and move my carry position forward)
Old February 16, 2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Beckerich

very cool, and if he kept coming tell him you have antipersonnel grenades
Old February 16, 2007, 09:26 AM   #5
gnut

Now thats a good story! I believe every word you said. Some of the posts here at TFL are so far fetched I call a bs before I finish reading them. I grew up in a military home with my dad doing two tours in Korea and two in Vietnam. The motto around our house was, stay alert stay alive. The same motto lives in my home and has helped my daughter a couple of times. Stay safe and stay alert, or visa versa.
Old February 16, 2007, 10:27 AM   #6
slow944

Our neghborhood has seen a rash of driveway robberies on the elderly, so as of late I've been taking out the trash with my P3AT in my coat pocket. Never know what kind of 2 or 4 legged critters I might run into.
Old February 16, 2007, 04:37 PM   #7
gdvan01

I think we've all had those moments that sound something like " I just knew I should have <fill in the blank here>..."

Too many times people second guess their own good judgement or gut feelings and end up in a bad/uncomfortable situation.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old February 25, 2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Bob F.

Always, always, always, trust your instincts, cautiously!!
Old February 25, 2007, 09:37 PM   #9
NotAMonte86

Cochese...

What part of town?

Glad that worked out for you... I figured pocket carry would be inconspicuous because you could casually reach into your pocket and not many people would even know that you were holding a gun. He may have known since he probably had a pocket gun of his own!
Old February 26, 2007, 12:30 AM   #10
oldbillthundercheif

Are you sure he wasn't just going to ask you who won the race today? Maybe his gold medallion had a Jeff Gordon logo on it and you were not astute enough to notice it.

The drugs comment may have been a little out of line, though. I'm sure it got the point across but it strikes me as a little odd. I guess I see enough gold teeth and crazy getups that I don't immediately assume the worst about that person...
Old February 26, 2007, 08:18 AM   #11
cochise

NotAMonte86 ..What part of town?.................

In Apopka, gas station at 441 and 436 there abouts......

I learned in street school at 17 yrs old, back in '65, from an old black gentleman about somebody walking up to you and asking for.................a light?................a cigarrette? ...............directions?

I was a laborer on a all black crew in Chicago and the nice old fellow showed up serverely beaten one morning. He said, "Cochise if someone asks ya...............go for your gun right away, yous wonts get a nudder chance.

I carried a BHP 9mm since I was 14. Gave it to my son a few yrs ago.
I never forgot that lesson. It saved me more than once but I don't want to tell stories, just that I 've been there.
Old February 27, 2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Leafs

Hahaha, maybe he just wanted to warn you about the neighborhood and like obtcheif said wanted to know who won the race.
Old February 28, 2007, 02:18 AM   #13
jrothWA

When I did lant night drives...

from Mi to Chicago, and felt the need to catnap.
I alwayed pull into a rest area, opposite the entrance to the building, under a working light or into a 24 hour grocery store lot and take a snooze, key in the ignition and both hands in my lap covering the piece (.38 Spl., M60 minimum)

Never had a problem.
Old February 28, 2007, 11:04 AM   #14
Beckerich

im glad one guy here said " some of the posts here are far fetched" I read some of them and wonder if the person is living in the US or chechnya.

"I was just walking to my car with my wife when four conscripts burst forth from a hidden APC and began firing but luckily i had my glock so while I shot those damn commies my wife used the kids bazooka to take care of the tank. Then we went to fat burger to get our daily obesity. Those damn commies cant stop us! "

well... that was a bit far fetched too... but you know the kind of stories on here that are just rubbish
Old February 28, 2007, 02:34 PM   #15
HangFire83

Sorry to jump a tad off topic but for more info about trusting your gut you should check out the book "The Gift of Fear" by deBecker. Great information on how your brain works in high stress situations and day to day interactions.

Jeff Cooper.
Old February 28, 2007, 02:45 PM   #16
cochise

well... that was a bit far fetched too... but you know the kind of stories on here that are just rubbish.................................

When you get to my age you'll have some stories of your own to tell.

If your'e lucky enough.
Old February 28, 2007, 05:09 PM   #17
Beckerich

well ya true, but not the ones guys blatantly make up because they're insane and have watched taxi driver too much
Old March 8, 2007, 08:10 PM   #18
Bob F.

Cochise: I'm with you!

Hangfire: Not OT at all.

Beckerich: Just who ya' talking about? Cochise? There are occassionally some "far out" stories here. Some real ones, too.