The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 02:53 AM   #1
Ignition Override

The Polish P-64: nice, but the recoil vs. a Bersa. 380....

Despite many hours of reading about Maks, P-64s, Sig 232s, Bersas, I again tried two friends' P-64s today, and the first time with a Bersa Thunder .380.
Searching for a first handgun but Might not ever decide to "carry", even after a class, other than in the car.

Although I really like the gun, the recoil today was much less pleasant than a friend's Bersa Thunder .380. Shooting my Enfield "Jungle" rifle doesn't bug me, but a handgun is different.
One friend's P-64 also kept 'snapping' me on the shooting index finger. Maybe hotter ammo in the 'snapper'?

Did some of you guys gradually get used to the P-64's recoil, or try it a second/third time and decide to switch?

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 21, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Doyle

Replacing the recoil spring with a heavier version will help. Shooting gloves may help more. Make sure your grip is correct and NO limpwristing. It will never be pleasant to shoot but good technique may make it tolerable.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Replacing the recoil spring with a heavier version will help. Shooting gloves may help more. Make sure your grip is correct and NO limpwristing. It will never be pleasant to shoot but good technique may make it tolerable.
Agreed. It's not just the caliber that makes it snappy; the thin grip directs all that energy into less space on your palm which makes the felt recoil more than other comparable guns (say the CZ82 if you will).
Old January 21, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
GMAN

I had one, cool little gun, but I hated the recoil also, I sold it.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
amd6547

My P64 has the heavier recoil spring...
It still isn't that fun to shoot. In particular, after a few magazines, I feel it in my pinky finger against the mag extension. It actually hurts enough that I begin to anticipate it.
However, in a real SD shooting, I doubt it would be noticed.
The P64 carries very well IWB, is accurate and reliable, and packs a good punch for its size.
I got mine when they first arrived on these shores, were an unknown quantity, and nobody wanted them...I only paid $139.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
dsa1115

Find a CZ-82 or Makarov. Both better guns and a lot more comfortable shooting.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:17 PM   #7
amd6547

I have owned a Makarov, and currently own a CZ82. Both are great pistols.
But, the P64 carries much better than either. It is so thin, smooth, and short in both length and grip.
It really is one of the least burdensome pistols to carry.
My P64 is in my belt right now, loaded with 7 Hornady critical defense JHP's. With my thin Patagonia fleece on, it is undetectable.
It is all high quality steel. I have about 500 to 750rds through it...everything from the old silver bear 115gn hot JHP to all the other steel case imports and Hornady JHP. Never a single jam of any kind, and accuracy is better than you might think.
I always wanted a prewar PPK...this P64 gives me the PPK experience in a great caliber, and I can carry it without worrying about messing up a nice PPK.