The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 14, 2000, 05:45 AM   #1
JimR

Another one for you, Robert.

When are "they" going to ban those assault knives!?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><A HREF="http://www.southcountyjournal.com/sited/retr_story.pl/26581" TARGET=_blank>
Intruder shot to death - Man had broken into ex-girlfriend's house</A>
2000-08-13
by Sean Gillespie
Journal Reporter

KENT -- A man with a history of domestic violence was shot to death after he broke into his ex-girlfriend's home early yesterday.

Kent police say the woman's male companion shot the 37-year-old Kent man after he woke the pair and threatened them with a large butcher knife about 3:15 a.m. The ex-boyfriend broke into the home in the 27300 block of 145th Court Southeast, said Detective Sgt. Mark Gustafson of the Kent Police Department.

A 23-year-old Kent man shot the intruder multiple times with a semi-automatic handgun, which appeared to be legally owned, and then called 911, Gustafson said. The intruder died at the scene. His identity was not released last night pending notification of next of kin.

Neither the shooter nor the woman was injured. Police did not release their names last night.

In the last month, there were four documented police reports of domestic disputes at the home where the shooting occurred. Gustafson said the intruder was kicked out of the home a few weeks ago, and the woman had a restraining order in place against him since then.

``Evidence suggests -- because of the history of domestic violence, the ongoing harassment -- this guy was in a position to harm her and her companion,'' said Gustafson, who stopped short of saying the shooting was justified. ``We haven't evaluated all the evidence yet.''

He said ``all parties have been very cooperative, interviewed, and released.''

The shooter does not have a criminal history, Gustafson said. He apparently had the gun for self-defense.

``There was some concern about ongoing threatening behavior and victim safety issues,'' the investigator said.

Nearby residents said the woman recently moved to the neighborhood, but they were otherwise tight-lipped, declining to comment for privacy reasons.

Sean Gillespie can be reached at [email protected] or 253-872-6688.
[/quote]
Old August 14, 2000, 07:10 AM   #2
dinosaur

Oops! Another tragic story of someone bringing a knife to a gunfight!
Old August 14, 2000, 07:17 AM   #3
David Scott

Oh, how horrible, they should have just whipped the guy with that piece of paper from the judge! That's what it's for, isn't it?

Old August 14, 2000, 07:24 AM   #4
Mike in VA

Gee, there was a 'restraining order' out on the guy and the police will protect you, the tooth fairy told me so. The real lesson here is that anyone worth shooting is worth shooting 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-click-click (reload and repeat as needed) times. M2

We call them "criminals" because they don't obey the law.
Old August 14, 2000, 08:05 AM   #5
Dennis Olson

Darwin would be proud....
Old August 14, 2000, 01:06 PM   #6
mussi

Please, folks, do me one !@&$ favor: Never underestimate knives. I
don't know how many kimonos I have sent to the laundry painted
with red streaks when I was playing 'aggressor' in my Jiu Jitsu club,
but the number must be something between a high three-digit and a low
four-digit count. And I've only been member for three years in that
particular club.

Guess why we place emphasis on defence against stabbing weapons.
They're much more frequently used by criminals (at least in
Switzerland; also applies to syringues or improvised stabbing
weapons)) and they have a rather high kill ratio.

Knife against gun is not a clear winner case. Except for these folks
who rely on Gun-Fu. They might just end up at the morgue, minus the
gun which has been apprehended by the criminal(s).

[This message has been edited by mussi (edited August 14, 2000).]
Old August 14, 2000, 09:01 PM   #7
bestdefense357

Thanks for posting this story. I hadn't heard about it. Robert
Old August 15, 2000, 07:53 PM   #8
MikeK

I hope the defender is not harassed by the authorities.
Old August 16, 2000, 05:02 PM   #9
MikeK

8/16 follow-up. Intruder's sister claims he was the victim.

Kent man won't be charged for killing intruder
2000-08-16
by Heidi J. Stout
Journal Reporter

KENT -- Police don't plan to file charges against the 23-year-old Kent man who shot and killed an intruder in his girlfriend's house at 3:15 a.m. Saturday.

Kent police did not release the shooter's name at his request. The Panther Lake-area resident was licensed to carry a gun and has not been arrested, although a homicide investigation continues.

The intruder, 37-year-old Dennis Raymond Remont, was carrying a butcher knife when he broke into his ex-girlfriend's house in the 27300 block of 145th Court Southeast. Police said Remont had dated the woman for a few months.

Court papers said Remont lived with the woman as recently as mid-July and ran the business she owns.

But the woman, also 37, obtained a protection order against him July 18 after he ``put his hands around my throat and choked and pushed me into the wall'' on June 14 and ``pushed and shook me by my arms and pushed me down the stairs'' July 17, the woman wrote in court papers.

Police incarcerated Remont in the Kent jail July 19 after serving the protection order on him. Kent jail officials did not respond to questions about why and for how long he was in custody.

The protection order was finalized Aug. 1, prohibiting Remont from coming within 500 feet of the woman's home. The woman asked the court to modify the order Aug. 4, because she claimed Remont was ``interfering with the operation of my business'' by shutting off phone lines and changing the locks on a post office box.

Kent police spokesman Paul Petersen said all the evidence police have gathered so far is consistent with the stories of the woman and her boyfriend, who shot Remont.

``Everything indicates that it is true; we have not found a contradiction,'' Petersen said.

The King County Medical Examiner's preliminary autopsy report said Remont died from a gunshot wound to his head. Kent police said medics tried to revive him, but he died at the scene.

Remont's sister, Dana Garza, called the shooting a ``tragic murder.'' In an e-mail to the South County Journal, she said her brother is the victim, not his ex-girlfriend.

Heidi J. Stout covers Kent. She can be reached at [email protected] or 253-872-6627.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
South County Journal
600 South Washington, Kent WA 98032
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 to 17:00
Phone: 253-872-6600
Fax: 253-854-1006

All materials Copyright © 2000 Horvitz Newspapers, Inc.
Any questions? See our contact page.

Old August 16, 2000, 09:36 PM   #10
Jim V

So, according to Remont's sister, if someone breaks into your house, attacks or threatens to attack you with a knife and you protect yourself by shooting a buncha holes in his/her worthless hide, he/she was a victim.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old October 28, 2012, 04:55 PM   #11
swr

I was a victim of his

Dennis tried to attacked me and tried to kill me back in the early 90's. First by hammer then tried to strangle me. A cab driver saved my life that night. He resisted arrest when the cops came. After that, he went to jail for a short time. He plead guilty and they lowered his charge to reckless endangerment /assault 1. They let him out only to violate the restraining order again and again. I was never his girlfriend. I was only a friend. I guess he wanted more. I moved away because I knew he wanted me dead and was relentless with his stalking. It came out in his hearing that he had been arrested for assaulting another girl. In this case, I am relieved that he is gone. The legal system let me down and this woman almost lost her life as a result of this. Sorry for his family but he was a monster. A true sociopath. He would act like the life of the party and make people feel comfortable around him only to stalk them and terrorize them. He changed my life forever in a bad way. Now I can have some peace.
Old October 28, 2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

This is not relevant to our discussions to open such an old thread. If it was found by a search, I understand but please read our rules about threads and appropriate reopenings.

Closed.