The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 26, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1
doubleaes2

Got my gun back from the Sheriff

Finally, today, after well over a year, I finally got my pistol back from the Sheriff's department. I'm not going to go into details why they had it, but I wanted to let everyone know how painless the process actually was.

We've all heard horror stories about getting a weapons back from the police, but this was actually a pleasant transaction. I contacted the detective that handled the case, ans he prepared a property release form. When it was ready, he told me to call the property clerk, who set an appointment for me to come in to the main office. When I arrived, she just asked for my driver's license. The clerk then went into the back somewhere, and in about 10 minutes came back out with my pistol in an evidence box. I signed 1 waiver, and 1 log looking form, and I was good to go.

When I got out to my vehicle, I opened the box back up, crossing my fingers that everything was still in good shape. The gun looked the same as the last day I saw it, and believe it or not, they returned all the ammo that was in the gun when they took possession.

I guess I just wanted to share with you guys, because I was so relieved that everything went so smoothly.
Old April 26, 2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Dave P

"Painless" ?? Waiting a year to get your possessions back?? Sounds painful to me.

Are you going tell us where this was?
Old April 26, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I'm not going to go into details why they had it, but I wanted to let everyone know how painless the process actually was.
Because of the very reasons why some other folks guns have been taken by the police, they seem to have a lot of difficulty in getting them back, or getting them back in a reasonable amount of time.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:33 PM   #4
doubleaes2

Quote:
"Painless" ?? Waiting a year to get your possessions back?? Sounds painful to me.

Are you going tell us where this was?
It was in Citrus County, Florida.
And, due to the circumstances, I'm not upset about the wait.

Quote:
Because of the very reasons why some other folks guns have been taken by the police, they seem to have a lot of difficulty in getting them back, or getting them back in a reasonable amount of time.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Old April 26, 2010, 10:52 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

One reason for the long waits

Is often that the gun is evidence. And they are required to hang on to evidence until the case is dispositioned, and closed. If the case remains open (for example, they catch no one, or the person arrested flees while waiting for arraignment, etc.) the case can remain open for years. And they evidence must be kept (by law).

Now, untimely delays after the case is settled and the gun is no longer evidence, is another matter. That's where you can get screwed by gun haters in the police dept/DA's office.

There have been stories of some places that will not return your gun(s), ever. Even when ordered by a court to do so. They destroy the guns, and cut you a check for their "value".

You got yours back, the system does work, at least where you live. Congrats.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:33 PM   #6
isanchez2008

My friend had a pistol returned by the state patrol. His home had been burglarized and many of his firearms had been stolen. I believe this is the only weapon that has been turned up. Anyway back to the pistol being returned. They gave it to him in an evidence box along with the ammo that was in it when they confiscated it from whoever it was that had it. I thought it was kind of strange that they gave it to him with the ammo. Apparently the clerk remarked on it as well but gave it back to him as it was.