The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Bones507

Large Primer question

Greetings
I have 1000 Win Large rifle primers that i have no use for. Can i use them for loading say 45 Colt rounds so long as i stay away from the max load with them ? Is this safe ? I wasnt sure so i figured better to ask first.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:00 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I would say no (and I'm nuts)

I do not believe they are properly dimensioned for use in pistol primer pockets.

I might be wrong (as I have NO LRP on my shelf).
Old October 30, 2008, 06:56 AM   #3
Sevens

While small rifle and small pistol primers have the same outside physical dimensions, large pistol and large rifle do NOT. Large rifle primers are a little bit taller than large pistol primers and will protrude from the case head if loaded in to .45 Colt brass. The high primer will likely bind up any revolver.

Some of the hardcore heavy magnum handgun rounds (.500 S&W, et all) use large rifle primers because the cup thickness on rifle primers is enhanced, to better contain pressure-- those rounds have deeper pockets.

Even if you could fit those rifle primers in your .45 Colt brass you might have trouble with misfires as the cup is thicker and requires a harder punch from the firing pin.

You should store those primers for the day you start loading some horribly common caliber (let's say, .30-06) or pass them along to another reloader at, say, $20.
Old October 31, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Bones507

Thanks guys. Better to ask and know than to guess and get in trouble.