The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 20, 2006, 02:12 PM   #1
triggerhappy2006

200 yard slug?!?!?!??!?!

I heard about this new slug that reachs 200yards accuratly. I was wonder what you guys heard on the subject? That and anyone have info on the Hevi Shot Dead Coyote?? Should I just use buckshot? If so what size?
Old February 20, 2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

Best I can find out is, you have to have a rifled barrel. Some manufacturers are offering a shotgun slug that is basically a .45 or .50 caliber bullet wrapped in a thicker sabot so it will shoot in a shotgun. Since weight of bullet would be much less than a shotgun slug, they are supposed to be good to 200 yards and carry groups of 4 to 6 inches.
By the time you pay for the slug barrel, or buy a shotgun with a rifled barrel on it already, I would just buy a good muzzleloader. You will be shooting the same bullet, and probably get better accuracy at 200 yards.
I don't shotgun hunt at all, but hunt a lot with Thompson Encore in 50 caliber.
I would not settle for a 6" group with mine.
Old February 20, 2006, 03:22 PM   #3
indybrad

I saw that Hornady was coming out with a slug that was polimer tipped and I think they said something about 200yrds.
Old February 20, 2006, 04:49 PM   #4
kozak6

Color me skeptical.
Old February 20, 2006, 05:14 PM   #5
andyrnokc

I started hunting deer this year with a shotgun after I impulsively sold my 30-30. The shots I take are not going to be in excess of 150 yards on the family farm. So I bought a NIB Remington 1100 on GunsAmerica with the rifled barrel for 400 bucks; I thought this was a great deal. I shoot the Remington Core Lokt Ultras, 385 grains I think and they are fantastic. At the indoor range with a Nikon SG scope 2x7 I can touch a 3 shot group together. At 100 yards we are talking a 1.5 inch group consistently. Fantastic. I don't doubt I could push this slug to 200 yards and be 4 inches. Not so bad for a shotgun.

I also found a NIB retro fit Black Powder barrel from Hastings Barrel for this 1100. This would be my first black powder anything. I called Hastings and they went out of production in 1992, I couldn't believe I had found one NIB from corsonsbarrels.com. This thing shoots like a house on fire.

So now I have a 26 inch barrel I use for birds and turkey, just thread in a new choke. I have one gun, I trust it and will not be parting with it.

I took 2 deer this year with the slugs, one was at 75 yards out of my tree stand and was a nice 8 pointer. I held on his left shoulder on a quartering towards me shot. He crumpled on to his right side. When I got up to him, my entry hole was exactly where I had held.

I love my slug gun and honestly believe I could effectively use it to 200; but that would be an absolute max and I would really consider getting in closer for that shot.

Andy
Old February 20, 2006, 06:09 PM   #6
HangFire83

I guess I'll believe it when I see it!!! I've taken a shot at 100 and it hit home but I don't feel comfortable with much more than that out of my old 11-87 w/ a slug barrel and scoped.
Old February 20, 2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
At 100 yards we are talking a 1.5 inch group consistently.
Welcome to TFL, Andy.

Quick question. Is that from a bench or offhand?
Rich
Old February 20, 2006, 07:37 PM   #8
indybrad

I usually shoot the $2.50 Winchester rifled slugs out of my rifled barrel and they shoot just about the same as the $12 box of sabots. they group about 6" at 150 yrds.
Old February 20, 2006, 10:32 PM   #9
12-34hom

Remington 2 3/4 inch slugger loads - 7/8 once rifled slug at @ 55 yards.

Gun - Stevens 67l series e
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old February 20, 2006, 10:38 PM   #10
12-34hom

Remington 12 guage 2 3/4 inch slugger loads - 7/8 once rifled slug at @ 55 yards.

Gun - Stevens 67l series e - Hornaday is making a a slug load with a polycarbonate tip that is supposed to very good at long ranges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0143_edited.JPG (44.1 KB, 80 views)
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old February 21, 2006, 01:31 PM   #11
FrontSight

Look in Hastings Laser Accurate slugs. When they say Laser Accurate, they mean it! I love them.
Old February 21, 2006, 09:10 PM   #12
andyrnokc

Rich,

My 30 yard groups are at an indoor range and the 100 yard groups are outdoor range and definitely off the bench. Conditions were ideal.

Thanks for the welcome, this is an excellent site that I am really enjoying.

Andy
Old February 22, 2006, 10:28 AM   #13
mikejonestkd

slug guns

We learned a painful lesson with the hotter new loads for 12 ga slug guns.

Sight it in of the the bench, THEN take it and fire it off hand. Your point of impact will be significantly different. All of them tend to change the POI vertically by several inches at 100 yards. make sure that you practice to actually know the POI at any reasonable range that you hunt at, and not from the bench..

My brother loves the winchester 12ga partition load and at 1900 FPS it is a real hot load. He sighted it in 2" high at 100 yards and was consistently getting 2" - 2.5" groups from the bench with a solid hold on it.

Holding it offhand with a post for a rest it will shoot 5" high at 100 yds.
He relaxed his hold and the shotgun changed the POI by 3" at 100 yards.

practice, practice, practice...
Old March 29, 2006, 10:19 PM   #14
riverrat66

Resurrecting an old thread.

Quote:
At 100 yards we are talking a 1.5 inch group consistently.
Quote:
Quick question. Is that from a bench or offhand?
Rich
I realize this is an older thread but I just happened to stumble upon it and was wondering why Rich asked if that was from the bench of offhand.

I shoot a 12ga. Benelli M-1 Super 90 w/24" rifled barrel and a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 scope. I use Lightfield 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz. Hybred Exp Expanding Sabot slugs. With this combination I am able to "keyhole" my shots from the bench consistently from 100 yards.
I wouldn't shoot at a deer any further then 100 yards away with a slug. Contrary to popular belief, in my neck of the woods, most deer killed with a slug are done so within 50 yards.
This past deer season I shot a buck from my treestand at 45 yards and the slug passed completely thru his heart and out the other side and he ran for another 50 yards before dropping. It was a snap shot, if you will. I had but a split second to aim and shoot as he came from behind me and was almost past me when I saw him. My point being is my gun hits exactly where it's aimed regardless of being fired from the bench or offhand.

BTW Rich, I saw the pictures of the black bear you got, nice going. I saw a black bear while deer hunting a few years ago and was so surprised that I didn't even think about taking a shot a it.
Old March 30, 2006, 11:41 AM   #15
tBlake08

I have a question. If you buy a shotgun with a rifled barrel, tecnically didn't you really buy a rifle?

-Clint Eastwood
Old March 30, 2006, 12:28 PM   #16
mikejonestkd

200 yards????

I am sure that there are a few VERY qualified people out there that can do magical things with 12ga slugs , out to 200 yards or so.

For the rest of us it is not likely that we will ever have a decent clear shot in the woods at that range.

Even the hottest loads with the best slugs drop like rocks beyond 150 yards.
Don't even get me started on the amount of drift one of these slugs has in a light wind at that range. In a light breeze you are likely to hit the north end of a south facing buck.

If you have the time and desire to really practice with a slug gun at that range then you could take shots at that range.

Most of the claims to consistently kill game at that range are inaccurate. I have had buddies claim that they have made 150 yd shots, I have paced the shot off and found most of them are in the 80-100 yrd range.

I have small sticks that I set up around my stands that I have laser measured the distances to, like 50 yds, 100 yds and 150yd markers. more than a few times I have had friends in the stands that claimed that they shot at deer by the third marker and claimed 200+ yard shots....it is a source of good laughs.
Old March 30, 2006, 01:25 PM   #17
riverrat66

mikejonestkd,

I agree. Judging distance is probably the biggest error that hunters make. I too use a laser range finder and it's amazing how far one can be off by "guessing" distance. That's why there are so many "claimed" 150 yard shots when in fact they are probably more like 75-100 yards. Personally I wouldn't take a shot over 100 yards because after that a slug hasn't got much left anyway.
Old March 30, 2006, 02:52 PM   #18
bclark1

Quote:
I saw that Hornady was coming out with a slug that was polimer tipped and I think they said something about 200yrds.
wouldn't surprise me. i understand the LEVERevolution ammo showed genuine improvement on the same principle.
Old March 30, 2006, 03:31 PM   #19
riverrat66

Is it the same?

Quote:
I have a question. If you buy a shotgun with a rifled barrel, technically didn't you really buy a rifle?
This question is a little of topic but very interesting just the same. I never really thought about that and really don't know. What does rifling in a barrel really do? Doesn't it make the bullet/slug spin? Thus rifling would be the amount of twist as in 1:7 or 1:10 and so on. Is that correct or am I out in left field here? I don't have any idea if it's the same with a 12 ga. slug barrel as it would be with a .270 or 30.06 rifle barrel.

Does anyone know if it's the same thing? This is a very good question and has really got me wondering.
Old March 30, 2006, 04:16 PM   #20
bclark1

i think it's a question of semantics. the load you're still shooting is still a shotgun load, with a plastic hull, it's just the shot is replaced with a slug or sabot. if a rifle is defined purely as anything that spins its projectile, then yea, but who knows.
Old March 30, 2006, 04:44 PM   #21
riverrat66

Quote:
I saw that Hornady was coming out with a slug that was polymer tipped and I think they said something about 200yrds.
Yep you saw it. This is it here: http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=148 but I'm still a little skeptical.
Old March 30, 2006, 05:06 PM   #22
PSE

the slub WILL make it out to 200 yards.
the slug WIll have killing energy @ 200 yards.
MOST shooters are not going to be able to hit or calculate hold over @ that distance.
Old March 30, 2006, 06:11 PM   #23
Okiewhitetail

Very possible i shoot 3" slugs in 12 gauge and i can get 150+ out of them accuratly so a smaller bullet would easily travel 200+.