Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 26, 2006, 03:52 PM   #26
PSE

cute...
does it come w/ a matching tampon case?
Old February 26, 2006, 05:10 PM   #27
stephen426

Okiewhitetail,

I like the design of the Ken Onion Vapor but it is very prone to rust. I bought one when I was in Arizona and the sweat from my hands made it start rusting. I can't imagine how lone it would last in Miami where I live.

The best damn knife I have ever owned (and that has been quite a few) is the Benchmade 710S. It has the super smoothe Axis lock which enables one handed opening and closing. I usually open mine with a flick of the wrist (much faster and safer than fussing with thumb studs). The G-10 laminate scales provide excellent grip without being abrasive. The knife just feels perfect in my hands. The balance is excellent and the weight is just right. The 154CM steel is very durable but sharpens very easily. It is also pretty rust resistant. Benchmade has a Life Sharp gaurantee where they will resharpen your knife for $5 shipping and handling fee. The stainless steel liners allow the knife to be used as a kubaton for less than lethal responses. The 3.9 inch blade makes it legal to carry in most states and is the perfect length for practical and tactical applications. The shape of the handle keeps the overall profile of the knife compact while affording an excellent grip. Smaller knives are just to awkward to bring into action quickly since there isn't as much handle to grab. I think I am going to have to order about half a dozen more of these knives just in case they ever decide to discontinue them.

By the way, I just wanted to add that the best knife sites I have had the pleasure to do business with is www.knifeworks.com . Their prices are very good and their selection is amazing. You might find it cheaper on Ebay but you never know what you are going to get, if you get it at all. I just wanted to offer a plug for a place that takes good care of me.
Old February 26, 2006, 05:53 PM   #28
shortydog

i like being able to push the liner lock flush with the blade for a more positive blade lock.
some people do not know about that on the Kershaw Ken Onion models.
Old February 26, 2006, 10:00 PM   #29
ethernectar

I EDC a Benchmade Osborn and have a Presidio that's pretty nice that I haven't carried yet. There's another half-dozen Benchmades I want...

As a lefty, the Axis lock is pretty nice.
Old February 27, 2006, 11:26 AM   #30
FirstFreedom

The kershaw Leek is a fantastic l'il knife for everyday carry. That one is in my pocket every single day - the black one with the steel frame - I find it grippier than my other Leek (though not as pretty), which is why I like it. Yeah, the steel needs sharpening every now and then due to it not being the best steel, but it's (1) slim, (2) ergo, (3) takes a great sharp edge, and (4) most importantly, opens incredibly easily, which could help in a self-defense scenario, not to mention save time with everyday carry. I like the leek better than the others in the Onion lineup, because it's the right size, and doesn't open TOO easily (unintentionally in the pocket), like the scallion.

And this'll get me flamed, but I do not trust the Axis lock of the Benchmade (or the Arc-Lock of SOG - very similar) as far as I could throw Michael Moore. Way way too easy to accidentally come unlocked - not enough distance OR enough resistance on the 'sear' if you will, for top-notch safety under hard use. Something like the LAWK system on some of the CRKTs is far far superior in my view. Benchmades do have good steel though. If CRKT would use better steel, or Benchmade would license some CRKT designs & make them, then we'd be 'in bidness'.

Don't get me wrong now - an axis lock knife is acceptable for most people's EDC, and is not much less safe than a standard liner lock such as on my Leek or any other standard liner lock, but for hard use, it's unacceptable when compared to more positive locking designs out there, IMO.
Old February 27, 2006, 11:08 PM   #31
TexiCali Slim

On Sunday I went to a local swap meet and got a Smith&Wesson Homeland Security, with the urban camo on the blade for $15.00 even. I was pretty proud of myself, it's about a 6" blade. Very happy with the sale.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:26 AM   #32
stephen426

First Freedom,

How much experience do you have with Benchmade's Axis Lock? I feel they are even safe than liner locks since there is spring tension keeping the knife closed. Liner locks on the other hand only stay closed due to friction. That is why Benchmade makes all their liner lock knives for knife point down carry. I own several line lock Benchmades including the Stryker and the Emerson Combat Folder. I have never had a problem with them opening by accident but I have closed one by accident. That was on the Emerson Combat which did not have the line lock recessed flush with the handle. I really don't feel that you have much to worry about the Axis locks since the pin is held between stainless steel liners and the end of the blade. Spend a little more time with one and I'm sure you will be convinced.