The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Scottish870

Do you need to grease the trigger group/hammer

Hi folks. New gun owner here-forgive me if its a dumb question. Quick search shows not much. Other results argue either way against greasing, just oil, or nothing at all.

So I got a new 870. In bits at the moment as I give it it's first clean. I saw an instruction video where the guy put a tiny bit of some grease on the contact points of the moving parts inside the trigger group. There is no grease on it right now out of the box. Just oil it seems.

So to grease or not? Any advice welcome, and if do it what grease do you use?
Old February 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

I use grease on points that rotate on each other - like the hinge pin on a SxS or O/U - I use oil on areas that slide back and forth. YMMV

Your owner's manual will tell you exactly what, where, and how much of whatever lubricant to use
Old February 11, 2013, 07:14 PM   #3
dalecooper51

The only grease I ever used on my wingmaster is just a tiny bit on the barrel tang where it meets the receiver. The rest of it gets a blast of remoil and a hit from the air compressor when it gets cleaned. I tend to run them on the dry side.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Scottish870

There no reason why you can't use a little grease in your 870. Grease will usually make a guns action operate a little smoother, and unlike oil, it won't run off, dry out, or evaporate.
In my 870's I applied a little grease on the slide, the front face of the hammer, and the end of the action bar lock lever.
Any where you see wear can use a little grease.

BigDinFl:

You have that one backward.
The old standard was "If it rotates oil it, if it slides, grease it".

I personally don't hold to that and will use grease on any application.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Virginian

You don't grease an 870. Download an owner's manual and read it. They tell you exactly how to do it and what to use. RemOil. Big surprise, but it is pretty good stuff.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Scottish870

Thanks guys. I had read the manual many times and it only mentions using Rem Oil. It's just, like I said, I saw a video where the guy on some grease. Some quick research indicated varying opinions so thought I'd ask here.

I won't bother with grease. At least not yet. Brand new gun and I've cleaned and oiled it as instructed and its looking good.

Now time to practice firing
Old February 11, 2013, 10:13 PM   #7
boattale

I've been shooting 870 for 30+ years. No grease on anything ever on any of mine. Lightest oil or oil/ptfe mix has always worked perfectly for me.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:53 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
BigDinFl:

You have that one backward.
The old standard was "If it rotates oil it, if it slides, grease it".

I personally don't hold to that and will use grease on any application.
Not the way I was instructed way back when I started shooting double guns - it was grease on the hinge pins and knuckles or trunions and oil for the ejectors; been doing that way for 35 years with no issues

Now on semi pistols, I use a little grease on the rails
Old February 12, 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

Greasing the hinge pins on double guns is the correct treatment.

However, the "Rotate-oil and slide-grease" holds for most other type guns.
This is most often stated for the M1 rifle in which sliding parts were greased per the manual.

The only thing I don't like about Rem-Oil is that it's very thin and tends to run off.
However, lubrication is argued to the point of absurdity. There is no "Magic" lubricant. What you lubricate with matters far less then that you DO lubricate.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:25 PM   #10
zippy13

As dalecooper51 mentioned, grease between the barrel tang and the receiver is a wise idea. It is said to provide a "pillow block" to more uniformly distribute the stresses. Also, I grease the sear contact surfaces on all of my guns, it gives a noticeable improvement.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Scottish870

Some good info here. You guys are educating me well and I thank you.