The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
fishluv

Lets talk about the lee rifle charging die

I'd like to know all the tips and tricks to get this thing humming with the lee auto disk powder measure especially those of you loading .223

the only way i can figure to get it operating is to take the spring off and then start screwing the die/measure setup into the press until is is all the way open. Otherwise I end up smashing the case.

Lets here anything and everything about this die and setup!
Old August 22, 2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Don P

Lee's web site has how to video's. Try there and get it straight from the horses mouth.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Jim243

Well I guess they don't have a video on the Rifle Charging Die.(Just checked)

Ok, fishluv, lets see if I can explain this.

A. Your rifle charging die should have a metal sleve inside that will move up and down freely when you rase and lower the ram of your press. If it does not call Lee and get a replacement.

B. The procedure is the same on a single stage press as it is on a Turret press or any other of their presses.

C. Leave the spring alone on your Auto Disk Powder measure. Screw the cap off your Rifle Charging die (put it in a safe place, I will explain later.)
Now screw your Auto Disk Powder measure into the Rifle Charging die.

D. With a case in your case holder on your ram, bring the ram all the way up till it stops. Start screwing in your Rifle Charging die with the Auto Disk Powder measure attached. Stop when the "disk" opening is centered over the powder drop tube on the powder measure. Lock everything down. You are now set at the right settings for the cases you are loading. (When you bring your ram back down the disk will return to the refill position)

Quote:
I will explain later
That 6 sided nob you removed from your Rifle Charging die is for use with a funnel. You will find them on all of Lee's charging dies, rifle or pistol and have to be removed to use the die with the Auto Disk or Pro Auto Disk powder measures.

I hope this help.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; August 22, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:23 PM   #4
CrustyFN

Yep, like Jim said. Your rifle charging die is screwed in too far. When the ram is all the way up you want the cavity in the disk to be over the drop hole and no farther. I did the same as you when I set mine up for the first time.
Old August 22, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
fishluv

thanks guys, loaded up some .223, everything seems to be going well. It took a bit to get 10 rounds done but i was being careful and checking every step.