The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
LDBennett

Clark Match Barrel for S&W Model 41?

Anyone got some feed back on the Clark Match barrel (CLK-570-BO Bullseye Optic Model 5.5") for a 1993 S&W Model 41 (laser etched serial number)?

Is the gun then lighter than the gun with a 7 inch original barrel (without the optic)? The gun with the S&W 7 inch barrel is supposed to weigh 42 ounces.

Is the accuracy better or worse than the 7 inch original barrel?

Is there any problem with dealing with Clark? (honest, responsive deliveries, after purchase service)

Does the barrel drop on without fitting?

Is this a totally Clark manufactured barrel or just a S&W barrel modified to have the rail and look different?

I am considering putting a 5.5 inch barrel with a Red Dot (UltraDot one inch single dot size model) on my S&W Model 41. I am wanting a Red Dot and would like a bit lighter gun in the end than the gun with the 7 inch barrel but I am flexible on that last requirement. The accuracy has to at least match the 7 inch barrel I already have. I have investigated the S&W version of the 5.5 inch barrel and there is no weight savings and it takes an additional rail to mount the Red Dot so I excluded it from consideration (Was that a mistake?)

LDBennett
Old September 25, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
darkgael

Clark

There is no problem dealing with Clark. They (he) has a long and well trusted career. His products are top shelf.
You will get the best answers by calling Clark and asking the questions directly. I suspect that the inherent accuracy of the five inch barrel with a Red Dot mounted is the same as the seven inch barrel. The only advantage that the longer barrel offers is a longer sight radius when using irons; switching to a red dot negates that advantage.
Pete
Old September 26, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Jeff OTMG

I have two of the Clark barrels and I do not believe that they are S&W barrels. One has the extended rail back over the slide, the other does not. They drop on and mine will shoot groups into one ragged hole at 25 yards that you can cover with a dime. I have the long S&W barrel as well and don't even use it anymore.
Old September 26, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
saltydog452

Jeff,

You wouldn't just happen to be willing to sell your OEM 41 barrel would you?

I have a lead on an an OEM 5" with S&W Quick Draw ramp front. Seller wants a longer barrel in trade.

Thanks,

salty