The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 1999, 02:12 AM   #1
MissileCop

A humble request to the members of TFL. Can someone help me in my search for a magazine extension for my Remington 1100? I'm looking for the maximum quality and quantity that can fit on an 1100 Field Special with a 23" barrel. Most of what I've found will either not exceed an 18" barrel, or I need a 26" barrel to mount it. Anyone have any ideas on a happy medium? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 20, 1999, 04:20 AM   #2
oberkommando

I have heard of tac-star? Scattergun Tech also, but to know for sure call Hans Vang or his assistant they should be able to tell you or you could buy something he has, always somehting new.

1-805-964-7956 or
[email protected]
Old November 20, 1999, 06:29 AM   #3
Woody

MissileCop I have a Rem 11-87 with a 20.5" barrel and I went with a Tac-Star 3 round extension. It doesn't stick out past the barrel and it hasn't broke yet. Actually it is rather well made. It give me 8 (7 in the tube 1 in the chamber) in the gun and 6 in a sidesaddle.

Damn my gun gets heavier every time I get a new catalog. My next purchase will be the new Surefire forearm with integeral (sic) flashlight.

Woody
Old November 20, 1999, 12:14 PM   #4
hksigwalther

I had put on a 10 round extension on my Rem 11-87 (26") from Tac-Star. An okay tube except for a few things.

1 : It's blue. The shotgun is matte black. (This can be corrected with a little paint.)
2 : There should ba a spacer for the sling swivel stud to make it stick out farther from the barrel clamps. As it is my QD sling attachment has limited movement due to interference with the clamp.
3 : You have to use the stock mag follower.

They do make a 7, 8, and 9 round extension. The 9 rounder should fit your 1100 (23) okay.

Got it at : http://www.ajaxgrips.com/

Choate also makes mag extensions in 7, 8, 9, and 10 rounds and also has a parkerized option for the 9, and 10. They also come with a high visability extended follower, I think. The extension on the follower is suppose to keep the mag spring from kinking, which I think the Tac-Star is doing in my gun as i can only load 9 rounds comfortably into it. Not sure how well their swivel stud works on the clamp.

They can be bought at :

http://www.bushmaster.com

In any case, if you have bought a newer 11-87 (no sure if this also goes for the 1100), you will have to grind down the magazine cap retaining dimples inside the edge of the mag well. You'l have to grind them down pretty close to flush as the follower would bind on it if you don't.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old November 20, 1999, 07:41 PM   #5
Bennett Richards

The best built Mag extensions I have EVER seen are the ones built by ScatterGun Technologies. They have just been bought by Wilson Combat. At the present they only offer tubes for 870's but if you ask they may decide to widen the product line.
The thing is built to last... much better than most that I have seen.
Wilson even was able to coat mine with their Armor-Tuff coating instead of parkerizing... had it done in 7 days too!

Give John a call at Wilson Combat www.wilsoncombat.com

Ben

( I have no association with WC.. just a VERY satisfied customer.)
Old November 20, 1999, 08:10 PM   #6
MissileCop

Thank you folks, for all your helpful suggestions. I now have something else to add to my "to do" list for Monday morning.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old November 21, 1999, 11:15 AM   #7
RickC

I just bought a Choate mag extension kit for my 870. The kit came complete with the extension, a high-vis follower, new spring and the clamp that holds the tube rigid in line with the barrel. The clamp has a sling swivel integral with it.

The parkerized finish was a perfect match to the gun, but you can also get it in blue.

They make the kits for:

18" - 7 shot
20" - 8 shot
24" - 9 shot and
26" - 10 shot.

Made for many models, including the 1100.

Price for the 7 or 8 is the same at $37.75 (plus S&H) direct from Choate at
http://www.choatemachinetool.com/

the 9 costs $2.75 more.

My only complaint with them is they promised same day service, but took 10 days to get mine out the door. Once I got it though I forgave them when I saw how good the quality was.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Old November 21, 1999, 08:05 PM   #8
B Shipley

Scatterguns also makes 11-87 mag extensions, and these may work on 1100s.