The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 06:39 AM   #26
Jack O'Conner

Taurus builds a few S & W designs under a patent lease arrangement. Nothing wrong with quality or accurasy.

Jack
Old September 14, 2012, 03:00 PM   #27
Jim March

S&W revolvers are only a small step behind Ruger in reliability, and usually ahead on final fit'n'finish and trigger feel, although Ruger is trying to catch up of late.

Ruger has the most modern DA revolver designs of anybody - period, end of discussion. Also the easiest to work on and field-strip - if you dip a Ruger in gunk out in the boonies you can take it completely down with teh smallest Swiss Army Knife made - the only tool you need is a single screwdriver on the grip panels and you can improvise out of damn near anything - grind the back end of a car key on a rock if you have to.

Basic mechanical accuracy between S&W and Ruger is pretty similar.

The only S&Ws that are (in my opinion) NOT reliable enough to trust my life to are the full-size Scandium models in 44Magnum and to a lesser degree, the 357 variants.
Old September 14, 2012, 03:18 PM   #28
Jim March

DDT
Old September 17, 2012, 04:26 AM   #29
stuckinCali

I want a pre-82 S&W, but until I can find one.. Ruger is king
Old September 17, 2012, 06:44 AM   #30
Picher

I've shot and tuned many revolvers over the years, shooting a 6" Colt Python for years, but find the S&W best for DA shooting and can have the best single-action trigger out there. They do require a bit more TLC than Rugers, but are more "refined" and the choice of many competitors.

Ruger DAs are harder to tune well, but very rugged. A novice would be hard pressed to screw one up.

Ruger SA triggers can be tuned and balanced to provide a light pull with no backlash. I've done many for metallic silhouette competitions, etc. We did find that, using a lot of heavy magnum loads, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk cylinders would eventually bulge a bit at the chambers (diameter measured with a micrometer), but everything held together.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Rifleman1776

In this order:
Ruger
Ruger and
Ruger.

All others are wannabes.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:35 AM   #32
brazosdave

I own/owned 3 Taurus revolvers. All have given me zero problems, except the .357 needed a little bit of tune up at the gunsmiths, it wasn't locking up right. 5 yrs later, never had another problem. Cost me a case of Coors light to get my problem fixed.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:14 AM   #33
pete2

The S&W and the Ruger are the best today. Taurus and Rossi are both iffy. Some good some bad. I would buy a Taurus or Rossi if allowed to shoot them before the purchase. S&W or Ruger if you plan to shoot them a lot.
Old September 18, 2012, 01:49 PM   #34
PzGren

Never a glitch with my Korth so far.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:30 PM   #35
TennJed

Quote:
i sent three revolvers in. A ruger, a smith, and a rossi two were still shootable, one was replaced completly. it starts with an r and has five letters in it's name.

ruger?

Rossi?
Old September 18, 2012, 10:40 PM   #36
windshear

I've got seven Ruger revolvers. Only one has gone back to the factory, and that one, only once.

I've got four S&W revolvers. Two have gone back to the factory, the 586 just returned from its second trip.

I've also got a Python that I shot a lot 30 years ago. These days it's a safe queen. Never had a problem beyond keeping it clean.

My money's on Ruger. Security Sixes are by far my favorites; in comparison the GP100 has the balance of a brick. The Redhawks and Blackhawks are tanks. The SP101 is pretty nice once you swap the original front sight for an XS Big Dot.
Old September 19, 2012, 02:28 AM   #37
chrisintexas

I am unable to find ruger revolver models mentioned in the posts in double action
Old September 19, 2012, 05:36 AM   #38
Picher

I was very upset after buying a slightly-used Ruger Stainless Bearcat and it wouldn't group better than 6" at 20 yards from a solid rest. Each chamber would print to a different point, and none in the center. I felt like I was shooting the numbers of a clock instead of a bullseye. After shooting three cylinders, I had six nice groups of three shots each.

It was returned to the store.
Old September 19, 2012, 05:43 AM   #39
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Of all the revolvers I've ever fired, RG's were the most reliable. All were reliably terrible. At least that makes for brand consistency. LOL
If the RG was the best, what were the others?

"all were reliably terrible"

What does that mean?
Old September 19, 2012, 08:35 AM   #40
BoomieMCT

I've owned many many revolvers. The only two I had issues with were a Rossi and a Taurus. The Rossi was a total piece of crap. The Taurus just had a horrible ultra heavy trigger that I couldn't do anything about.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:50 AM   #41
Father Time

There used to be nothing wrong with Smith and Wesson revolvers.... But I have heard of the new production guns haveing problems withe the "Hillary Hole" causeing the gun to lock up when fireing. Maybe S&W dosen't get it but for many the main appeal of a revolver is its elegant simplicity. Why mess that up by putting in a useless safety just to appease the anti's. I mean its not like the anti's are even customers...

Ruger has the lead now in modern production revolvers.
Old September 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #42
Jeff #111

PzGren
Quote:
Yes well I am assuming that the OP doesn't have $4,500 to spend on a revolver. However I have also heard that the Korth revolver is very well made.
Old September 19, 2012, 05:34 PM   #43
skidder

Quote:
I know this is a little off topic, but I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that bad boy.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old September 20, 2012, 01:05 AM   #44
PzGren

It's actually been a good boy, judging by "his" behaviour.

Old September 20, 2012, 01:15 AM   #45
Jeff #111

Where and when did you get it?
Old September 21, 2012, 07:45 AM   #46
Picher

PZGren: What is that lever next to the hammer? The cylinder release? Whatever it is, I'm not crazy about its location.

Otherwise, it seems to be a nice piece.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #47
Budda

Korth! I hate you! what did you pay for it? It is on my bucket list to own........
Old September 22, 2012, 03:42 AM   #48
PzGren

You do not want to know what I paid for it, believe me. The lever is the cylinder release, works ambidextrous but is something you have to get used to.

The trigger is on a roller bearing and incredibly smooth. I have not experienced anything like it and have some other fine revolvers with good reps. There is just no comparison.

]
Old September 23, 2012, 12:07 PM   #49
Jeff #111

I own a French MR-73 that also has the roller-bearing trigger engineering. You're right it's very smooth. Mine has seen much usage over the years (surplus. based on my research I suspect it was one of the ones used by the Austrians - possibly COBRA. The Austrian anti-terrorist unit), but it's still a very good shooter. Parts are a nightmare though.

Last edited by Jeff #111; September 23, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:20 PM   #50
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomieMCT View Post
I've owned many many revolvers. The only two I had issues with were a Rossi and a Taurus. The Rossi was a total piece of crap. The Taurus just had a horrible ultra heavy trigger that I couldn't do anything about.
I agree that Taurus revolvers usually have pretty bad triggers out of the box. I have not owned one in years but I had a few in the past. One of them had a trigger job done and it was as good or better than any other trigger I've pulled. You can make them really nice but is it really worth it?