The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Christian 812

Hand guns coating ?

How would you grade the coating finish of the guns you own (metal parts ... not polymer frames !). This for Sig, H&K, Glock (which I own), others welcome > this regarding holster wear, extensive range use, hostile conditions ... etc.

Tks for answers.
Old April 1, 2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Michigunner

Tripp Research in Texas is very highly regarded. My Sig P239 has their hard chrome plating, and Cobra polymer coat on the frame.

I am very pleased with it.

My only concern was that the MMC sights had lost most of their "glow in the dark" feature when I received them installed by Tripp at the same time. There were no instructions or allen wrenches including.

I would definitely get their coating, but skip the sights next time, although they do look terrific on the pistol.

Bill
Old April 1, 2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The best all-around gun finish is still hard chrome.

It's offers the best balance between corrosion resistance, harness and wear resistance, durability, and ease of cleaning.

Hard chrome is one of the few gun finishes that's a true life-time finish.

Hard chrome is actually harder than a swiss file, is so "slick" that fouling doesn't stick to it, which make cleaning easier, and is so thin that fit of parts is not affected.

The hard "slick" surface improve trigger pull, and the amount of lubrication is reduced.

The finish can range from a flat, dull gray, to a brightly shiny surface.

Unlike many other finishes, hard chrome can be applied to everything but springs, and some providers can also plate the bore for complete rust resistance, BUT most providers will not plate aluminum.
Old April 1, 2006, 01:59 PM   #4
tulsamal

In factory finishes, Tennifer is wonderful stuff. I would love to be able to buy AR-15 upper/lowers, etc. done in Tennifer. Or my deer rifle.

For aftermarket, Dfariswheel is right. Hard chrome is excellent. If I end up with an older S&W that is totally tight internally but all scratched and dented outside, off it goes to Florida to be hard chromed. When they are done with it you end up with a gun that looks like factory stainless steel. My very early S&W M28 is one of my favorite guns ever since I had it done. WELL worth the $170 it cost me.

Gregg
Old April 1, 2006, 02:02 PM   #5
silver-bullet

Actually, I think Christian is asking about the EXISTING finish on production handguns, not aftermarket processes. In my own experience, HK and Glock finish their weapons with some exceptionally durable stuff. I would rank those two in the top-tier. Sig-Sauer is finally getting better, but some of their older finishes were pretty pathetic. The Bruniton finish on the Beretta 92 is above average, as is the finish on most CZ, Browning, and Ruger handguns. The finish on the Springfield XD (not counting the new Melonite on the .45) has a less than stellar reputation; they're a little lower on the list, as is Taurus. Not familiar enough with Walther and S&W to comment.
Old April 1, 2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Christian 812

Silver ...

Correct ... I was asking about "out of factory" coating !
Old April 2, 2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Christian 812

I have to admit that H&K and Glock's coatings are a lot better than Sig !
My P226 is a German made 2001 ... never CC, only range shooting ... it has a Cordura holster (kind od a sleeping bag !) and has holster wears !?

My P2000 ... my everyday CCW is like new.

Sig should buy (or use) the H&K coating ;-) !
Old April 2, 2006, 03:58 PM   #8
joecad

are we talking about

are we talking about durability or looks.......watch out this is a loaded question......put on you fire suits