The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2000, 01:08 PM   #1
Gremlin

I came across a used Remington 1100 in my favorite gunshop over the weekend. The wood was nice, the checkering was up to Remington standards, it's a 20 gauge. And it's only got a 21" barrel on it. It's got a screw in Rem Choke down in it and looks to be in great condition.

I hoisted the gun to my shoulder and the dimensions of the stock were the same as a new 12 gauge 1100 that they had on the shelf.

It's not a youth model.

I was wondering why you'd want a short barrel on the 20 gauge. Am I missing some secret that I was hitherto unaware of? Is it better for skeet? Is it better for maneuvering quick shots at a covey of quail?

I'm trying to figure it out. I liked the quick maneuverability of the gun and it would seem to be a lot easier to carry in thick brush. Being as I don't do much shotgun hunting, I was wondering if there was some great truth out there that I hadn't been made privy too?

------------------
Take the long way home...
Old October 30, 2000, 01:54 PM   #2
Bud1

A buddy of mine had one of these "Upland Specials" a few years back. He liked it because of the light weight, and claimed that it swung faster in the piney woods while woodcock hunting.

I never cared for it myself.
Old October 31, 2000, 07:06 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bet it had a straight grip,Gremlin. The Upland Special was an attempt to make a LW grouse and quail shotgun out of what's not a LW design.BTW,the bbls are not interchangeable with standard ones,I think.

My 12 ga bird 870 was built using a 21" bbl I had shortened and redone for tubes. Wood from the inside of the stock was removed to keep a good balance point. It handles like a quail/grouse gun should, but it's my "Anything Flying" shotgun, and has collected geese to dove to woodcock to ground game,and busted some clays with it also. Mostly I snap shoot, any sport that needs a sustained lead like pass shooting, a longer bbl and sight radius would work better.

Loose rule of thumb.A good quail/grouse/woodcock shotgun will balance roughly 3" in front of the trigger. A good long range pass shooting gun will balance further forward,maybe 4", but exceptions abound.
Pop was sudden death on anything flying with his old Savage O/U, 30" bbls and weighing well in excess of 8 lbs,especially quail. It's what you're used to....

Onr thing with short,light shotguns. They're easy to start swinging, so ergo they're easy to stop. One has to work at keeping the thing swinging. Once past that, I think you'll like that 1100.
Old November 1, 2000, 09:55 PM   #4
Locobob

Gremlin,
I just bought my wife a 20 LT 1100 a couple weeks ago. Used, excellent shape- $500. She loves it! Wouldn't mind picking up another one someday. Cabella's sells 20 inch slug barrels for these, so now she won't have an excuse not to try deer hunting, too!