The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2007, 02:36 AM   #1
my1stk98

K98 Stock

Well I posted this on another one of my threads but I think the questions belongs more in this forum section. I recently purchased a K98 and have shot it a few times at the range. The shots would group decently until the barrel got warm. They would then string to the left. I looked at the front band at it was resting on the side of the barrel. I also looked at the stock and it is warped to the left past where the front band is placed. Is there any way to repair this? I was told about heating it up in the over but unfortunately the oven in my house is not big enough to hold the stock. As a last resort I will purchase a new stock from Boyd's. However I would like to use the stock I have if at all possible.
Old July 12, 2007, 12:43 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the stock is in the original military configuration, I recommend you either correct it or, if you do replace it, keep it in case you want to sell the rifle.

You should have no problem relieving the stock so that it does not contact the barrel; it may take some study to determine the exact work required, but you should be able to make that rifle shoot with the original stock.

(I suggest taking the stock completely off to make sure there is not some other problem, like a "duffel cut" under the middle band.)

Jim