The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 8, 2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Redbones

Stevens model 46 .22

I'm new to the forum. I joined hoping someone might be able to help. I recently inherited a Stevens/Savage bolt action .22 rifle model 46. The problem is this. I have searched high and low to find out how to remove the bolt from this gun for cleaning. It is not removed like other rifle bolts. The only thing I've managed to find so far is several others who've run into the same problem. Is anyone familiar with this gun and can help me out? Redbones
Old April 8, 2014, 05:49 PM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to the forum !

If the bolt can't be removed while the trigger's being held back, the rifle might have to come out of the stock so the trigger group can be dropped down, out of the way.

IIRC, Numrich Arms (google) has a schematic that might help you.

Old April 9, 2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Redbones

Tried it

Being the novice that I am, I've dropped it out of the stock but did not want to "gum up" the trigger mechanism as it wasn't obvious even then how to remove the bolt.
Old April 12, 2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Sierra280

A couple weeks ago I cleaned up an OLD Stevens 22 for my neighbor. I was the most involved tear down I've ever had to do to clean a 22! I basically had to completely tear down the rifle to get the bolt out (unpinned everything, trigger asm, magazine, etc).

Even though I've never been much of a fan of bore snakes, they would make it easier to clean. You can also purchase bore guides that go on the muzzle, thankfully 22lr's don't really need to be cleaned that often.

Edit-with a little google-fu I was able to find good diagrams for tear down.

Last edited by Sierra280; April 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM.