The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2011, 03:24 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

"FC" .223 Once Fired Brass

By luck of the draw I finally received a order of .223 once fired brass and it showed up with the "FC" headstamp which I have read is not advisable to use for upper end loads in a AR platform due to a thinner design near the primer pocket. Is this true and if so does anyone know of a once fired brass seller that has .223 gauranteed not to be "FC" and also with "crimped" primers removed? I have plenty of plinking ammo loaded so I need something I can re-load that is more reliable. Thanks...
Old October 4, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

"FC" is Federal Cartridge, as you probably know. I haven't heard that they are not to be used in AR's with "upper end loads". Think about it, if the factory loads, which are almost always upper end loads, worked fine and didn't cause any catastrophes, why would any reloads using the same cartridges not work just as well?

I can't imagine any modern cartridge not being strong enough at the web for any reasonable load you want to use.

What is the source of the advice you got?
Old October 4, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
mrawesome22

I have tried fc brass in 30-06, 243win, and 22-250rem and had problems with all three.

I consider it junk and not worthy of being reloaded. I dont even pick that stuff off the ground.
Old October 4, 2011, 04:03 PM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=34912.0
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/253106_.html
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...ass-OK-to-load
Old October 4, 2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Tim R

Mal H, I can attest using current once fired federal 223 brass is a bad idea in a AR. I was poping primers at a real bad time. It seems to me like Federal 223 brass is sorta like Blazer ammo. Shoots once just fine.
Old October 4, 2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Interesting! Thanks for the links, UTG19. Looks like the SKS fellow did his homework well. I'm going to go section some FC brass to see if it looks like his.
Old October 4, 2011, 07:17 PM   #7
medalguy

Same experience here. I find that Federal brass tends to expand the base more than LC or others, causing loose primers after just 1-2 loadings. Seems to be softer brass so I also scrap Federal.
Old October 4, 2011, 09:27 PM   #8
William T. Watts

I 've used Federal, R-P, Winchester in all my rifles and not had a problem with any of them, I usually discard/recycle after three firings. I have had minor leakage when I try to stretch it to a fourth firing, I just don't go there any more! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; October 5, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Doodlebugger45

Federal is my least preferred brass, but I still use it. I have had problems with loose primer pockets in my .270 WSM and 7 mm mag after a few firings. After 3-4 firings, I switch to Wolf LRM primers and they are good for a couple more uses. But I have not had any of those type problems with FC brass in .243 or .308 yet.
Old October 6, 2011, 03:22 AM   #10
Jimro

Federal has been known to use softer brass, one of the reasons Fed GMM brass doesn't last as long as Lapua or Winchester brass, but also one of the reasons why it is so consistently accurate.

As long as you are loading a middle of the road 223 pressure spec load I think you should be fine with FC marked brass. I wouldn't go for a full house 5.56 pressure load.

Jimro
Old October 10, 2011, 04:53 AM   #11
OkieCruffler

That's interesting. I use nothing but FC brass in both my 223 loaded pretty hot and reformed into 6tcu loaded very hot. I've never had an issue. Of course that's out of a Contender. Does platform matter do you think?
Old October 10, 2011, 08:19 AM   #12
Jimro

Yes, platform matters very much.

In a semi-auto platform the brass has a greater opportunity to stretch and deform from things like generous chambers and the violent extraction.

In a manual action like a bolt, break, or falling block the brass has more support through the firing process. I know folks who get around seven reloads out of FGMM brass through their bolt guns, but I don't know anyone who gets that number out of gas guns.

Jimro
Old October 10, 2011, 08:25 AM   #13
OkieCruffler

Makes sense I guess. I've never bothered with a self feeder. I have 5 loads on some of my 6tcu.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:33 AM   #14
Jimro

I would jump on a lot of once fired FC marked brass for a bolt gun though, unfortunately my AR is my only rifle in 223. Think I can convince the wife I need another Savage, this time in a varmint caliber?

Jimro
Old October 10, 2011, 05:52 PM   #15
capreppy

I use FC and LC brass for my AR-15 in .223 Remington.

I've never encountered any issues with the FC brass. I've heard (but can't confirm) that the FC may not be able to load as many times as LC brass. I've not run into this issue since I don't have enough reloads on my brass to have encountered the issue.

Some people seem to have issue with them and sell them for a much lower price then LC brass. I will definitely buy it and use it.