The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 13, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
zbones6

Mosin Nagant scope

Hey guys, i have a Mosin Nagant, and im thinking of scoping it. I dont want a scout setup, but a WWII scope/mount, repro of course. My rifle is a 1938 Izhevsk with a round receiver. Im not sure what kind of scope it would have been paired with. A PU would be easier to mount, as im no gunsmith and would be a little nervous about mounting a PE over the chamber, but will mount whatever setup is historically accurate. HELP!
Old March 13, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
WarWolf

as far as i knew i thought the PE and PU mounted the same. I understand in wanting to do this yourself. But screwing it up would not be fun. I don't think it would cost much for a gunsmith to drill those holes for you. on top of that dont forget that if you mount a scope you will also need a bent bolt. or it wont clear the scope. You can get these done pretty well for about 60 bucks. or pay a little more and they will send you a new bolt with it already done.
If you do decide to do it and have the tools. please let us know how it went.
Nate-
Old March 14, 2012, 10:10 AM   #3
zbones6

War Wolf

No, the PE and PU scopes and mounts are very different, the PE is older and mounts over the receivwer, the PU is newer and mounts on the side. Theres also the PEM which mounts on the side, but repros are difficult to find (I think)
Old March 14, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
benogil

There is a great resource, and you can see what others have done, and how they have proceeded.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=185
Old March 14, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
boostedtt91

I am in the same situation. There are a bunch of companies out there selling the scope mounts that just replace the rear sight which i never was really a fan of, as they just don't seem to be sturdy enough for my liking. After doing much searching and research, i have decided on the rock solid industries mount. This does require the receiver to be drilled and tapped which im going to have a gunsmith do, but i belive this is the best mount out there for the mosin's i have found that will not move or come loose with the recoil from the gun. Check them out and see if that might be something you'd want to get

Rock Solid Industries
Old March 15, 2012, 09:41 PM   #6
MagnumWill

Ack- where did I get mine... Ah yes- I bought it a few years ago from a company called Accumount or Accumounts? It looks fantastic, and I think it's actually an Izzy mount, but a newer production. Can't help you on the scope, I have an odd repro scope that *looks* very close to the original scope, but with newer features . Check around Gunbroker for the scope.

Again, you don't need to be a gunsmith to install the PU scope. A PE on a round or hex will prove to be a tad more challenging. The PU scope mount almost locks into place under the interrupter so it's hard to misplace. Drill press and a careful hand while tapping threads will get you a decent rifle. And I won't lie to you, I'm a machinist and an engineer so I feel pretty comfortable "winging" it in fab land. I'm confident that anyone with a little time an patience can install it.

**EDIT*** and yes, after ten or so rounds I would have to keep tightening the thumb screw. A little loctite solved that.
Old March 16, 2012, 06:16 AM   #7
MJN77

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumo...an/Russian.htm
Old March 16, 2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Don P

This sight has what you want, www.tickbitesupply.com
www.classicarms.us did have some for a while
www.jgsales.com www.the-armory.com

Most these sights had nothing listed so here is what I found on e-bay and here is the link,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...nt+scope+mount

There 2 listed just like the original sniper scopes used in WW II,
one is the mount only at $129 and the other is the mount and scope at $274.99
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; March 16, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old March 17, 2012, 11:17 AM   #9
emcon5

Frankly, I wouldn't bother.

Between the cost of the scope, base, and bent bolt, you may as well just get a repro sniper with the work already done. SOG southernohiogun.com still has them listed for $379.

ATI has real 91/30 snipers for under $700.
http://www.americantactical.us/9/catalog.html
Old March 20, 2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Hapich

I put a repo PU on my 43'

It wasn't that hard except the bolt handle would be tough for someone who cant weld. Check out my youtube vid. It's accumounts off of ebay.

http://youtu.be/fPWYmOkclSQ
Old March 30, 2012, 06:43 PM   #11
MagnumWill

Yes, I got my bolt from Buymilsurp because I didn't feel like messing with it, and it looks fantastic.

Can't believe we've gone this far without pictures. THIS is why I don't settle fir the cheap rear sight replacement.

Old March 31, 2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Don P

Is the scope and mount originals or repops? Looks good regardless and how does it shoot whith the scope on it.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.