The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 28, 2011, 02:28 PM   #51
Albacore

Quote:
The REAL problem you'll have with your Mosin isn't the fact that you'll want more (which is true)- it's what's known as a "gateway" rifle. Once you get really involved with it, your pursuit of other firearms has the potential to get completely out of control
I think it already is, just judging by the fact that wifey has me on gun purchase restriction for a while. Geez, all I bought is a Mosin Nagant, a Ruger 10/22, a Ruger Mark III, and a Sig Sauer Mosquito in the last month and a half.......Oh, I get it. Never mind. I guess she's right. In all fairness, the Mosquito was a gift for her. Anyways, I have been eying a nice Ruger GP100 .357 magnum. Just one more, I promise. Then I will be done. I think.......
Old September 29, 2011, 08:02 AM   #52
ducote32

Yes, I can say it's addictive. Purchased a 1937 91/30 (Tula) a few weeks ago and was able to get to the range yesterday morning with my son. Heck, we shot my 30-30 and his 270 as well. We wen thru 40 rounds of PPU 150gr SP between the both of us yesterday. Son (13)was like, "Dad this thing doesn't kick as much as my 270, can I you get me one? He was able to get 1 1/2" groups of 3 from 50 yards with it after I put the electric insulation trick on the front sight. Next time we are going to hit the 100 yard range.

needless to say, I'll probably be ordering another one next week. The good thing is that he hates scopes and loves the old fashion iron sights. Good timing for his November birthday.

I also found that the kick was lighter that the 270 and was comparable with my 30-30 and that was with the metal butt plate. These are inexpensive and fun to use.
Old September 29, 2011, 12:10 PM   #53
Albacore

Inexpensive for sure, especially with all the surplus ammo available for these things. Bulk, 880 rounds, 2 cans in a crate for $165 delivered isn't bad. I just hope the supply doesn't dry up too fast. Use to be alot of surplus for the SMLE's too, back in the day. Now that's all gone, and ammo for those is close to a buck a round.
Old October 2, 2011, 03:52 PM   #54
shrewd

awesome dude, my second centerfire rifle was a '43 91/30, and it sure is a fun shooter.

im still working on a can of surplus ammo myself, problem is i keep buying other rifles i can barely afford and don't get much time with the mosin.

i see alot of you guys have scoped your nagants, and im curious about doing such myself (now that the garand is my primary iron sight rifle) and i'm wondering which is the best scope set up i can get that i can do myself (ie no trip to the gun smith)

didnt wanna make a new thread :/
Old October 3, 2011, 12:36 PM   #55
txguitarslinger

I recently got a '43 Laminate and love it. Only serial that doesn't match is the bayonet.
Old October 4, 2011, 04:49 PM   #56
Albacore

I think that's considered all-matching. If it is, it's rare. A real find. There are four spots for original serial numbers: the barrel (not the receiver), the bolt, floorplate, and buttplate. I haven't heard of original bayonets being marked with serial numbers. Some rifles are original matching, and some have been "force matched." You can look it up on 7.62x54r.net. Anyways, sounds like a good find.
Old October 4, 2011, 06:56 PM   #57
SIGSHR

Though I own several the only one I have fired is my Type 54-Chinese copy of the M1944. My bringback.
Old October 4, 2011, 07:37 PM   #58
AKfan

Pulled the trigger on a Mosin 91/30... Reply to Thread

I went shooting this last Sat. Me and my shooting buddies take our grown-up(some not so grown-up) kids for an all day shoot. So two of these buddies of mine show up with newly bought Moisin-Nagant's. Both weapons were made in 1943. They let me try them out. WOW! impressively accurate. Lot's of kick, but shooting 100 yds was child's play, but where we were shooting, that was max range. I'm going to get one real soon - ammo's cheap and plentiful. Can't wait!
Old October 4, 2011, 11:09 PM   #59
MSMLS

UPS man brought me a Mosin Nagant and some ammo today. This is my first CR purchase, first Mosin. Gotta clean it, but here is the unpacking:

Old October 6, 2011, 12:28 AM   #60
kilimanjaro

There's some Romanian 7.62x54R practice ammo available from SGAmmo, said to have about a third of the recoil, and is good for 200 yards. It's designed to introduce city recruits to learn to shoot without developing flinches, jerking, and hesitation due to fear of recoil. Should be pretty good stuff to learn with, or let the girlfriend try out.
Old October 6, 2011, 01:37 AM   #61
Cheapshooter

MSMLS, Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations. that is going to be a very nice hex receiver Tula M/N when you get her cleaned up. Please post more pics after you get it cleaned. Also a range report to let us know what you think of it.
C&R Milsurps are great fun. this is only the beginning!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 6, 2011, 11:38 AM   #62
Albacore

MSMLS, I am jealous. That is indeed, a nice Tula Hex. Hmmmm....Maybe I need to consider another purchase......
Old October 12, 2011, 12:05 PM   #63
Chuckusaret

I am still having a problem controlling that darn Russian disease I caught 5 or 6 years ago called Mosinitis. I found that the only way to keep it in remission is to buy a Mosin Nagant at least one or two yearly.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:09 PM   #64
Albacore

Quote:
I am still having a problem controlling that darn Russian disease I caught 5 or 6 years ago called Mosinitis. I found that the only way to keep it in remission is to buy a Mosin Nagant at least one or two yearly.
Well, I hope "mosinitis" kills me quickly, or I'll have my wife to deal with. One or two each year? Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have bought her that Sig for her birthday last month. As for Mosins, maybe I can just be happy with one.......
Old October 14, 2011, 07:45 PM   #65
HALL,AUSTIN

I had a mosin and mine shot just fine. Its a big step up from a .22 so hold it firm to your shoulder. Enjoy
Old October 15, 2011, 09:17 PM   #66
Albacore

Quote:
I think it already is, just judging by the fact that wifey has me on gun purchase restriction for a while. Geez, all I bought is a Mosin Nagant, a Ruger 10/22, a Ruger Mark III, and a Sig Sauer Mosquito in the last month and a half.......Oh, I get it. Never mind. I guess she's right. In all fairness, the Mosquito was a gift for her. Anyways, I have been eying a nice Ruger GP100 .357 magnum. Just one more, I promise. Then I will be done. I think.......
Well, you know that GP100 I was lookin' so hard at? Heh, heh, I talked the wife into getting it for Christmas. Just ordered it yesterday. She made me agree to wait till Christmas to open it though. Doh! Talk about a waiting period.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:44 PM   #67
Albacore

Finally shot it!

Well, I finally got to shoot my Mosin this last weekend. WOW! This thing rocks. Powerful yes, but the kick was very manageable. Nothing like a 12 gauge. I will say, it's a great shooter. Something very manly about working that bolt to eject the spent casings and reload. Oh, yeah- any target you hit that isn't attached goes flying. Maybe it's just me, as this is my first .30 cal high powered rifle. Anyways, lots of fun.
Old November 7, 2011, 11:20 PM   #68
MagnumWill

Nah, don't discredit yourself, it's a pretty hard-kicking rifle. I bought my 91/30 and an M44 simultaneously, and fired the M44 first as my first rifle round. Death grip on it, very bad that thing hurt like h*ll! Now, I can turn out about 100 rounds out of it before I call it quits due to bodily injury.

...and congrats on the GP100, you'll love it to death as well. Mine (6" blued) has never hiccuped, nor do I expect it to ever. You've got good taste in firearms so far
Old November 8, 2011, 12:58 PM   #69
Albacore

Yes, I just brought my 6" stainless GP100 home yesterday. I did stop off at a local indoor range and fired off a box of .357 magnums. You know- just to make sure it works right. After 50 rounds I will say this is definitely a big boy gun. Heavy, and powerful. 2-3 inch groups pretty much right where I aimed at about 50 feet. Good no? I dry fired it, and admired it for a few hours last night, let my 13 year old son see it, then reluctantly handed it over to my wife to wrap for Christmas. It's gonna be a long month and a half wait........
Old November 8, 2011, 01:12 PM   #70
Don P

Albacore I have a 1940 M-N from the Tula arsenal hex receiver and all the numbers match as well as the bayonet. Bolt, receiver, butt plate and magazine. From your description about the bolt its called the sticking bolt syndrome. The way to cure it is to remove all ammo, remove the bolt and on a rod place a shotgun brush for a 12 gage and some mineral spirits mixed with some hoppes and run the brush in and out of the chamber on a drill to clean all the gunk out of the chamber. It may happen and need to be done regularly if the ammo you are shooting is coated with shellac
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:15 PM   #71
Don P

MSMLS, nice looking Mosin. For all of the newer owners of the Mosins I have an ample supply of ammo pouches for sale at $3 each or 2 for $5. Spread the word
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:08 PM   #72
Albacore

Don P- I'm not sure what you mean about the bolt thing. Mine works great. All I have to do is angle the gun downward and the bolt slides in all by itself. I just enjoy the idea of workin' that bolt to load and expell the spent casings (hence the description "manly").
Old November 13, 2011, 02:36 PM   #73
Rick W.

A couple of months ago, I bought a 1929 MN 91/30, Tula, hex receiver, ex-dragoon(refurbished). By the way MSMLS, my serial number is only 16064 higher than what yours is. It also looks like you have a nice looking rifle there too! It also appears that they made a lot of rifles that year! After spending 2 or 3 days of cleaning the cosmoline off mine(most of this time spent on the barrel), my barrel was still in bad shape. I had build up inside my barrel, even after spending this much time on it that it went from my grooves to the lands(filled it up). A friend suggested that it might be cosmoline from someone else firing it and not cleaning it first. He suggested taking it to the range to fire it, heat up the barrel and clean it immediately afterward. Needless to say, the 147 grain bullets were all over the page at 50 yards, but I was able to get quite a bit of that crud out of the rifleing. I'm still trying to get the rest of it out and got most of it, but not all. The last time I went to the range, I shot 203 grain and it was quite a bit more accurate and actually got a bullet pattern instead of being all over the page. I also measured the total length of these bullets and there was as much as an 1/8th of an inch difference in length with this Brown Bear ammo, which would also affect accuracy. So far, I've used Hopppe's no. 9, Shooters Choice, brake fluid, Nitro Solvent and I'm slowly winning the battle with getting my bore clean. At least I can distinguish my lands now and the crud is down below them!! I've also had to use .35 caliber brass bore brushes to get down into the grooves as tight as possible to get this crud out. Maybe, I'm just being too picky from the Army teaching me to keep my barrel clean enough to use it as a drinking straw(so to speak), but I also have a 1944 Enfield, No4, Mk 1* Long Branch(sporterized when I bought it)that was almost the same way. The bore finally came clean after I fired it enough and kept cleaning it afterwards. Anyone know of any shortcuts to get this crud out once and for all? I do know that a lot of the accuracy depends on how clean the bore is and I got this .303 British within a 1 inch pattern from the bulls eye at 200 yards with iron sights!! Maybe I should have bought stock in the bore brush company before I bought this Nagant! LOL
Old November 22, 2011, 02:09 PM   #74
Garm

Mosins are great. I ended up buying more than one soon after buying the first one.
Old November 22, 2011, 03:13 PM   #75
ducote32

it's a bad habit. I also picked up a second one recently. 1942 Izhevsk. I can tell the difference between my 1937 Tula. The 42 reciever was made a little bit rougher but it shoots well. one good thing about the 42 is that the rear sight isn't soldered on and the stock is mint. 2 pins and a hit takes the rear sight off. had the idea about packaging 1 up to save, but they are just too much fun to shoot. May buy a 3rd one, maybe a hex. I got both from Aimsurplus and the rifling is great on both. Been using the Privi 150gr SP and they are accurate and reloadable.