The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Field

that hornady bullet deal ..hmm

uhh so is there a way that i can send for my bullets WITHOUT printing a stupid paper and physically sending it in the mail? can i do this online...aka no paper involved? i mean this would be a non issue if i had a printer but in my case it is a pain in the

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldBoy111
Old November 21, 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Nomo4me

You have to fill out and send the paper, which was included with my LNL AP press. You also have to include payment for shipping the bullets.

Selection is very limited - there wasn't really anything I felt I wanted so I just ordered 1000 7mm 140gr. I've always wanted a 7mm-08 so figured that would provide the impetus for me to finally get off the stick and buy a rifle.

It's been two months and my bullets still haven't arrived. I got the "order confirmation email from Hdy so I know they are in process but don't expect them to arrive soon after you send your request and payment.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Field

hmmm sounds like its not worth it. thanks

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldBoy111
Old November 22, 2009, 02:26 AM   #4
David Wile

Hey Field,

Are you saying that you purchased a Hornady LNL AP press, that you are therefore entitled to 1,000 free bullets, and that you don't think the 1,000 free bullets is worth it? I cannot help wondering exactly what the free bullet deal is not worth. Is it not worth your time to send in a form? Is it not worth paying for shipping? Is it not worth waiting for the bullets to arrive?

Ever since Hornady came out with their free bullet offer, I have always recommended that folks should not buy the Hornady LNL AP because of the free bullets. I have always recommended that folks do their homework to find what progressive press they like the best and get that particular press. If it happens that the Hornady press is the one they like the best, they should then, and only then, consider the free bullet offer as icing on the cake. If you actually bought a Hornady press and qualify for the free bullet offer, I cannot imagine why you would say it was not worth it.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old November 22, 2009, 02:50 AM   #5
CraigC

Not worth 1000 free bullets? Surely you have a PC or print shop nearby.
Old November 23, 2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Hyde

Print it at family / friends place or possibly at work. It only takes a minute to print. It was worth it for me a set of dies and 100 bullets for 30 plus shipping.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I take your 1000 free bullets. It's worth it to me. Mail me the form with everything except your name, address and bullet selection filled out. I'll take care of the rest.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:30 PM   #8
shooter_from_show-me

Quote:
I take your 1000 free bullets. It's worth it to me. Mail me the form with everything except your name, address and bullet selection filled out. I'll take care of the rest.
Shoot yeah, I like that idea. Isn't that like $250 value.

NRA Life Member
Old November 23, 2009, 07:53 PM   #9
langenc

The one claiming thebullets must have the ORIGINAL reciept. No
ebays allowed.

For 1000 bullets go to your library and get the stupid form printed.
Old November 23, 2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Nomo4me

The OP never said whether it was 100 or 1000 bullets he might be entitled to.
I did hear from Hdy today. My 140gr 7mm bullets are backordered with no ship date established as of yet.
There are no v-max or other highly desireable bullets offered in this deal, and if you don't correctly fill out EVERY single one of the requirements on the form they advise your application will be trashed without them contacting you.
I really like the Hdy brand name and my LNL AP press and would have bought it regardless of the bullet deal. But the deal ain't quite as sweet as the adverts would have you believe.
Old November 23, 2009, 11:09 PM   #11
jpsshack

going on a year and no bullets yet. I was very careful, too–bar codes. check for shipping, orig. invoices. When I contacted them they said something about the bullet shortage. Funny, I've seen the same bullets available at Midway. Contacted them a second time–no reply.
Old November 23, 2009, 11:37 PM   #12
Nomo4me

I'd guess it's like frequent flier allotment seats where there are only 4 or so FF seats available and once those are gone you can't book your flight using FF miles even if the plane is half unsold.
IE, I'm guessing that Hdy allots a certain small % of production for freebie bullets so as not to crash cash flow and is only using that % to erode the backorder for freebies.
Old November 24, 2009, 10:59 AM   #13
floydster

I bought my LNL several months ago and sent in the bullet offer, within 3 weeks I had my bullets.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:25 PM   #14
David Wile

Hey folks,

I don't understand why so many folks manage to get their free Hornady bullets without any trouble, yet there appears to also be a number of folks who have long wait times. A whole year? I don't understand what Hornady is doing.

I bought my LNL AP press when they first came out, and there was no free bullet offer. My press works perfectly, and the only part that has been replaced is the shell plate spring - just one time, mind you. Hornady makes a very good product for a fairly reasonable price. Why they would make the bullet offer and allow some of their customers to fall through the cracks on the free bullet offer is beyond me.

I have wondered if the folks who have trouble getting their bullets did not do what was required of them? That is probably true in some of the cases, but I have trouble believing that all the folks who have had trouble are all at fault. Maybe Hornady's requirements are more stringent than they should be?

I don't know what is going on with the problems some folks have in getting their free bullets, but I do know that Hornady is a good company that makes good products. I also know that if I were the original poster and was entitled to the free bullets, I would be sending for them. It just does not make sense to give up on 1,000 free bullets just because some folks have had problems getting their free bullets. Besides, the vast majority of folks who have purchased presses during the offer have received their bullets and have been quite pleased.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old November 24, 2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Nomo4me

I'd guess some bullets have been ordered via the promo more than others - with those having a longer wait time. If you complete the requirements of the promo Hdy will send you an emailed order acknowledgement as confirmation - which I received.
Old November 24, 2009, 01:45 PM   #16
David Wile

Hey NoMo,

I hear what you are saying, but I just cannot imagine Hornady having a promotion that seems so arbitrarily shipshod. That is not their normal way of doing business. If they are going to entice folks to buy their press with the free bullet offer, then I think the free bullet promotion should also be run with the same quality as the obviously use with their products. The promotion is part and parcel with their products. I think my LNL AP press is first class all the way, but some of what I hear on their promotion is disappointing. Hope you get yours soon.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old November 24, 2009, 07:03 PM   #17
Nomo4me

I received an email today from Hdy with tracking number advising the 7mm 139gr BTSP have shipped.
All in all I have to give them credit for their communication on this order:

-order confirmation email received 1-2 weeks after I mailed in the request with shipping $
- answer to my "where's my bullets" inquiry within a few days of my sending it
- Email with tracking number when they shipped them out

If you mailed in your form and payment and never received any communication from them I'd be concerned.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:52 PM   #18
Inspector3711

I have a friend that's been waiting for 1,000 bullets for 7 months now.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:57 PM   #19
jpsshack

I got results when I made a little noise...

I contacted Hornady and mentioned, firmly, that I expected them to follow through on their promotion. It had been almost a year and I was careful with the paperwork. I received a personal e-mail response and had my bullets within two weeks.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:05 PM   #20
DiscoRacing

What caliber JP??? I sent in for six or seven boxes...each separate.... got the 40s in about a month,,,7mm in about six months,,,,and .357 actually took lil over 9 months....yeha... I still figure it was worth the wait for what they retail for.... $6.95 was pretty cheap for 100 rds.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:48 AM   #21
jpsshack

DR,
They were .357s and .44s. It was getting on toward a year-I think it may have been coincidence that I got the bullets soon after I bugged them, but who knows. Anyway, it worked out. The 40s and 7mm are probably less back-ordered.
-jp
Old January 19, 2010, 12:38 PM   #22
Dodge DeBoulet

I sent in the paperwork for my 1,100 .40/10mm bullets on December 17th and received them January 15th.

Can't complain . . .