The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 20, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
FyredUp

Mini-14? Why not?

Okay, I have decided to add a 5.56mm rifle to my collection. I have resisted since I haven't really found a need for one. Well now the bug has bit me and I am thinking I need one. Primarily the uses would be for plinking and home defense. I own some acreage and a nice light rifle to carry with me would be great.

I have been looking at AR-15 clones and spending $1000-$2000 for one seems, well, ridiculous to me. There is a really nice looking Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with a flash hider and 2-20 round magazines for just under $900 at a local gun store. Yes, I know the mini-14 magazines cost more than AR-15 mags. But I think for the cost difference I can afford to buy a few more mini-14 mags.

So, I guess I am asking for pros and cons on my idea. I have owned a Ruger 10/22 for 32 years and have had not one problem with it. Will the mini-14 be as reliable? Will it serve me as well as the 10/22?

Thanks.
Old October 20, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
GONIF

you can buy a new AR for $800.00,and it will out shoot the mini all day long .
Old October 20, 2009, 03:29 PM   #3
FyredUp

What brand and more importantly WHERE? I was in Gander Mountain and my local gun store the other day and neither had a clone at under $1100 with most in the $1300 range.
Old October 20, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Edward429451

I got my Bushmaster XM15E2s for 800 dollars. It does outshoot my 3 Mini-14's

My Mini-14's are stone cold reliable though and accurate enough for general purpose use. So you wont win a match with one, so what? You can sure keep him off of you though.
Old October 20, 2009, 03:45 PM   #5
sholling

I have and like Minis but I understand their limitations. The main one being accuracy. Minis are maybe 2-4 MOA for 3 rounds and then the groups open up as the barrel heats up. Plenty good enough for the intended use - 2 & 4 legged predator control.

For not a lot more you can pick up a nice AR15. They come in quality grades ranging from okay plinker to all out battle worthy. A good happy medium is S&W M&P15's which start around $950 and go up from there depending on options. The S&Ws are getting very popular with law enforcement agencies.

Last edited by sholling; October 20, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old October 20, 2009, 03:45 PM   #6
olyinaz

I can usually find an AR carbine for around $800 or perhaps $900 in one of the shops in Tucson. Mini-14s can be had for around $775 but sometimes they go on sale for $699.

I'd suggest one of the new Mini-14s. The new barrel is much heavier than the old pencil tube (the weight difference tells the truth to that quite readily) and the accuracy is reportedly just fine at 1.5-2.5" at 100 yards.

I don't mind AR-15s at all (and I've got one) but I understand that not everyone wants to look like a spec ops wannabe so that's why God made Mini-14s.

The best looking Mini right now (in my mind) is the Davidson's-only special that has the 16" barrel and the wood stock. Hubba hubba - that's one nice little Mini-14.

If you want an AR shop around a bit - you'll find one for around $800.

Best,
Oly
Old October 20, 2009, 04:21 PM   #7
bedlamite

Mini-14? Why not?

2 reasons:

1)
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...shop=1&cat=161

2)
Old October 20, 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
NSO_w/_SIG

I agree with the above poster, bargin bin deal at CMMG is not going to be beat at $600, there is alot of good feedback on those rifles.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Latex Ducky

haha bedlamite, nice picture

I'll put in a third vote for the bargain bin.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:01 PM   #10
22_Shooter

Quote:
What brand and more importantly WHERE? I was in Gander Mountain and my local gun store the other day and neither had a clone at under $1100 with most in the $1300 range.
Gander Mountain is the absolute LAST place to look for an affordable AR (or most any gun, for that matter).
Old October 20, 2009, 05:09 PM   #11
FyredUp

Seriously, you would buy a rifle from a bargain bin not knowing the brand, whether it is a 'trade-in, demo, scratched, dented, discolored, over-run, special buy, ugly, etc"? Wow! I guess I am just a hair more cynical and suspicious than that. I want to know exactly what I am getting when I buy something.

If accuracy down to sniper quality is the only beef against the mini-14 I guess I am missing the point. I have a bolt gun that is more than capable of long range accuracy. What I want is an inexpensive (relatively speaking), reliable, light weight, rifle that is going to shoot all day without FTF and FTE. If there is an AR-15 that meets that then I can be more open to that. If not and the mini-14 is not the choice...what is?
Old October 20, 2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Squidward

Given your stated purpose for the rifle, get the mini. The whole MOA debate is probably academic for most poeple looking for a plinker/HD rifle..

Full disclosure; I own a mini 14

Also check out PerfectUnion, if you want more mini info.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:29 PM   #13
rickyjames

walmarts near me usually have mini 14's in stock i would check the prices there. btw the mini 14 was one of the first guns i bought when i moved to az. still have it, still a great gun. my ar is more accurate tho but not enuff to make me want to sell my mini
Old October 20, 2009, 05:36 PM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

The "Ranch Rifle" moniker is a pretty apt one for the Mini-14. It is a handy, little reliable rifle that is good for carrying in the back of the truck and using around the ranch.

The problem is price - at $900, you are paying the same price as budget-end AR15s and the AR15s will be about equal in durability, close in reliability, much more accurate, no problems with heat, better iron sights and better ability to mount optics. Not to mention that you can fix and repair the rifle yourself if necessary without having to send it back to the factory.

If you step up to the $1,200-$1,300 range, you can get hard use AR15s that will be extremely reliable (Pat Rogers reports that they finally broke down and cleaned the Colt 6940 at around 15,000+ rounds when it would no longer function reliably). The same rifle without the fancy handguard (6920) can be had at $1,250. The Bravo Company rifles (in the $1,000 range) had similar performance.

If you just plain do not like the AR, then either the Saiga .223 or the KelTec SU-16 will do the same things the Mini-14 will at a much lower price point.

The Ruger isn't a bad rifle by any means; but Ruger places a much higher value on it than I do. It has expensive accessories. It is more difficult to mount optics on. It strings shots when it heats up (and it heats up fast) and accuracy is mediocre, though acceptable. On the plus side, it is light and handy and generally seems to run pretty well; though when they do break, you are hosed until Ruger can fix it as it isn't a DIY type of rifle.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:46 PM   #15
FishEngineer

Why not both? Each have their purpose and niche.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:54 PM   #16
FyredUp

I am not opposed to an AR-15 at all. I just want the most bang for my buck and frankly paying $1200 for an AR-15 is just insane in my mind.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:04 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
Given your stated purpose for the rifle, get the mini. The whole MOA debate is probably academic for most poeple looking for a plinker/HD rifle..
Well said. I've got both (AR-15 and a Mini) and, if I didn't shoot High Power/Service Rifle competition, and I had to pick one of the two, I'd opt for the Mini. It makes for a superior self-defense carbine in terms of reliability and handling. It should be noted that I'm probably in the minority with this opinion but I only have my personal experience to rely on.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:06 PM   #18
Average Joe

The mini is a great gun for what it is. It will not be as accurate as a AR. If you can be satisfied with 5 inch groups at 100 yards, then the Mini is for you.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:13 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
If you can be satisfied with 5 inch groups at 100 yards, then the Mini is for you.
My Mini with the factory peep sight will get 3" groups @ 100 yards with factory ammunition all day long-so long as you let the barrel cool a little between volleys.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:14 PM   #20
jgcoastie

I bought my Del-Ton AR15 for $850 out-the-door... $50 less than the Mini-14's they had, and the Del-Ton consistently out-shoots my buddy's Mini-14... Not just by a half-inch here or there, I'm talking 5-6" @ 100yds...

YMMV, but Del-Ton is worth a look if your budgeted for $800-$900
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:26 PM   #21
5whiskey

If you don't like the look, feel, or purpose of an AR, then by all means get a mini. If you honestly want an assault rifle, you will never be satisfied by the mini. The magazines are expensive and it is not friendly to firing more than one full magazine accurately without cool down time.

I'm not bashing minis, they're cool rifles. Just trust me. I traded my buddy (temporary swap) my AR for his mini for a couple of months. He didn't want to give my rifle up. I was more than ready to give him his rifle and get mine back. He bought an AR shortly after that. I will probably buy a mini one day. It's not very high on my priority list though, so it will probably be awhile.

Oh, and you can find plenty of ARs for less than 1200 dollars. Bushys can be had for 750 new if you shop for deals. I wouldn't pay 900 for a mini, BTW.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:31 PM   #22
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Your can build a near tier 1 AR for that kind of money---and yes, I have a Mini that I like very much--but didn't pay near $900 for it.
-------Metallica
Old October 20, 2009, 06:34 PM   #23
Sarge

Mini 14 580-Series Ranch/20 Round ProMags: Review here.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:37 PM   #24
5whiskey

Adding one last thing. I AM an accuracy snob. I get mad at ARs that don't hold 1.5 moa. Minis can start close to 2.5 or 3 moa if you shoot REAL slow. Minis are cool rifles but I will never be fully satisfied with them. Still a nice platform but not for me.

It's the same with an AK. I have a saiga .223 right now. It's good for about 3 or 4 moa with the right ammo. I'm not satisfied with that. Will it take care of some business? Heck yeah. Am I fully happy with it? No, I'm not. I'm probably one of the few here that would rather perform a misfire drill once every 1 or 2k rounds and have an accurate rifle, than to have a rifle that would never misfire but hold a 4 or 5" group @ 100 yards. This post is my disclaimer. I will never be a tried and true mini fan.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:06 PM   #25
FyredUp

It depends on the intended usage of the rifle.

If I want a SHTF rifle, I care more about the fact that it will fire EVERY TIME I pull the trigger and it shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards, versus it MAYBE firing every time I pull the trigger and shooting 1 inch groups at 300 yards. My AK clone fires every time I pull the trigger and with minimal maintenace. Nope, it isn't atack driver, but I guarantee I can hit a man sized silhouette at 100 yards with it.

If I want a target rifle then a few FTF or FTE's aren't a big deal. I can always stop, figure out what went wrong and move on. Then hitting the center of a target t 300 yards is a priority and the accuracy is needed.

Usage is the key to what to buy.

I guess I am more comcerned right now about the barrel heating up on the mini and even 100 yard accuracy dropping off to unacceptable levels. Many have mentinioned this for rapid fire. Is it really that much of an issue?