The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2006, 01:13 AM   #1
JoeK

7mm Rem Mag Cartridge for Elk...

I just picked up a T/C Prohunter frame and 7mm Rem Mag 28" barrel and am looking for premium elk cartridges. I might cruise out to Eastern Colorado this weekend to zero it, so I'm compiling a list of ammo to use. There is a veritable smorgasbord of choices, so let's hear your favorites!

Hunting Area Info:
I have briefly recon'd next years hunting location. I'm anticipating most shots in the 100 - 200yd range. As in most areas of this state, there are many draws, valleys, and other terrain features that could increase the shot range to 300yds.

BTW - I don't anticipate any increases in ballistic performance with a 28" barrel, but I'm curious if I will gain or lose muzzle velocity and energy with this length. If anyone can shed any light on this, muchas gracias!

Joe
Old November 26, 2006, 01:37 AM   #2
jhgreasemonkey

Heres the ammo I would use. Remington core lokt 180 grain psp. There is more exciting and expensive ammo but you wont need more than this. Also I cant give you any numbers on this but I read an article a while back on the 7mm rem mag and it stated that this cartrige will gain velocity with barrel length up to 28". So sounds like you got a screamer. Not to mention accuracy potential.
Old November 26, 2006, 08:24 AM   #3
HSMITH

I like the Federal Premium with Sierra GameKing 165 grain bullets. Accurate and hits hard. The bullet will not take a lot of bone on a close shot, if you are a shoulder shooter try the Trophy Bonded or Partition loads as you never know when a shot of less than 30 yards will present itself. If you shoot your elk in the heart and lungs you will look long and hard for a bullet that works better than the GameKing.
Old November 26, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4
rem33

150 grain core-lokts have put several elk in the freezer for me.
Old November 26, 2006, 11:04 AM   #5
WSM MAGNUM

I reload Winchester brass with 63.6 gr. of H4831 SC topped with Sierra`s 160 gr. SBT Gameking. Excellent round for medium to long range.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 26, 2006, 02:10 PM   #6
JoeK

Quote:
I reload Winchester brass with 63.6 gr. of H4831 SC topped with Sierra`s 160 gr. SBT Gameking. Excellent round for medium to long range.
Another reason to reload! Unfortunately, I don't reload yet. Thinking about it...

Thanks!
Joe
Old November 26, 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
JoeK

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm likely going to try some Hornady's, a Winchester Accubond, and some of the ammo you suggested. I'm hoping to find a winner that shoots well out of my current set up.

Thanks again!
Joe