The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 31, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1
cajundefender

Do new springs make a magazine last forever?

Instead of buying a new magazine when the springs of the old one wears out, couldn't one just purchase additional springs? Would a simple spring replacement mean that you can make the same magazines last forever or should you still replace the magazine every now and again? I don't see why that wouldn't be the case, but given that I lack the experience of most on here, I thought I'd ask. So, when your old magazines wear out, do you just replace the springs and keep shooting or do you buy an entire new magazine because a $1 spring wore out?
Old August 31, 2014, 09:41 PM   #2
marine6680

Last forever?

No

Increase life?

Yes

You can damage the magazine body, feed lips may bend or get weak, but barring abuse, the mag body will outlast several springs.
Old August 31, 2014, 09:42 PM   #3
TRaGiK

Followers can wear, feed lips can crack/bend/spread, and I suppose the body could wear out eventually (though i've never seen that).

Mag's are disposable items. Eventually, you'll have to throw some away.
Old August 31, 2014, 10:13 PM   #4
cajundefender

Okay, that's what I figured. I was mainly just wondering if it would be worth it to replace springs when they get worn out or if I should just buy new ones. Thanks.
Old September 1, 2014, 08:00 AM   #5
wogpotter

I've yet to wear out a spring. Some are 60~70 years old at this point so I'm not really concerned.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 1, 2014, 12:19 PM   #6
snolden

I buy surplus mags (some are easily 40 years old) and I do have to replace a spring every now and again. So I bought 20. get some followers and some floorplates too. I also recommend getting as many mags as possible if they are bigger than 10 rounds. Too many laws are passed that make those mags hard to get sometimes. (I recommend 25-50 mags per type of rifle)
Old September 1, 2014, 08:53 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
Would a simple spring replacement mean that you can make the same magazines last forever or should you still replace the magazine every now and again? I don't see why that wouldn't be the case, but given that I lack the experience of most on here, I thought I'd ask. So, when your old magazines wear out, do you just replace the springs and keep shooting or do you buy an entire new magazine because a $1 spring wore out?
Feed lips will wear out eventually. Yeah, it will take a lot of rounds.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 2, 2014, 01:48 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good springs should last a long time, even compressed. I have seen posts saying that recoil springs should be replaced every 100 rounds and magazine springs every month.

Nonsense, unless you are in the business of selling springs, in which case it is great advice.

Replace springs when they weaken and no longer work.

Jim
Old September 2, 2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Skans

I have more problems with feed lips than I do with magazine springs.
Old September 4, 2014, 12:28 AM   #10
Brotherbadger

Feed lips will eventually be the downfall of most magazines. However, new springs will extend the life of the mag for a very long time.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old September 4, 2014, 07:02 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't see how a mag spring can "wear out" unless it's really low-quality junk to start with.

You can't hurt a spring by compressing it, or there are millions of cars that wouldn't run worth a hoot.

A decent-quality spring should last through thousands of cycles, if not millions.

Tags
ar-15 , replacement , spring