The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 15, 2009, 01:47 PM   #1
M4Sherman

K98 Id help needed

My father bought this K98 last year at an estate sale For $100 and when he got it home he called me to look at it an 5 more various items to see if he did alright and I noticed it had some odd markings for it manufacture date of 1938

Old February 15, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Darren007

Not a K98. What you have there is a Turkish Mauser, though Im not sure what the designation the Turks gave their Mauser rebuilds.

There are others here who know way more about Turkish Mausers than I, so Im sure theyll chime in.
Old February 15, 2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Wulfmann

Model 1891 Turk originally a 7.65 caliber rebarreled to 8MM Mauser in 1939.
Accurate or likely so, both of mine were.

This is not strong enough for the full 8MM ammo if you intend to shoot it much. It could become dangerous.

I loaded old ammo down by pulling the bullet (had to neck size with decapper to re-seat bullet) and reducing the Turk ammo down to 37.5gr of powder and then set the rear site at 500 meters to shoot at 100.
Shot great.
I could put 25 round in a 4 inch circle with the better one but I would be concerned for my safety using full charged ammo.

Wulfmann
Old February 15, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good reply, Wulfmann. I will just add that the magazine was altered from the original, which was a single column magazine that dropped below the stock. The notch in the receiver ring is to allow stripper clip loading of the 8x57, which is longer than the original 7.65x54.

Technically, it is a Turkish Model 38, but that is a sort of catchall term for all the older rifles that the Turks worked over in the 1930s to resemble the Czech VZ-24, the goal being to provide uniformity in appearance and training for their army.

An interesting rifle, but not a K.98k.

Jim
Old February 16, 2009, 11:06 AM   #5
M4Sherman

Thanks for the info on the rifle! especially the part on the type of ammo that it uses but it hasnt been fired since we got it and I doubt it will be fired much since it just sits in the close with the rest of the "Older ones"