The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 17, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

sight adjustment

I recently played with an AR where I was able to adjust the sights for my needs. I ended up with the rear sight all the way down right and I was still high 2" and left 1" at 88 yds.
All my rifles seem to sight this way. Does anyone know if my stance, stature, etc is contributing to this? Off a bench, prone, off hand, all the same with a few rifles.
Old April 17, 2010, 11:34 PM   #2
hoghunting

An easy way to tell is let a few other people shoot your guns. If they hit in the same spots as you, then it's a sight alignment problem. If the others' groups are about the same, but in a different location than yours, then you have narrowed the problem down to you.
Old April 18, 2010, 12:59 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Others shoot way left and high of my groups.

The groups are not bad for myself or others.
Old April 18, 2010, 02:29 AM   #4
LaserSpot

I think it has to either be the way you pull the trigger, or the way you align the sights. Do you notice this difference with peep sight and open sights? How about rifles with scopes?

You could try pulling the trigger very slowly so it surprises you every time and see if it changes the POI.

Are you holding the top of the front sight in the middle of the bullseye, or at the bottom of it?

You could use candle soot to blacken the front sight and see if it makes a different.

If you want to experiment some more, another thing to try is prick a tiny hole in a piece of black paper or aluminum foil, then tape it to your shooting glasses in the right spot. This will give you the "pinhole camera" effect; you will see a very sharp sight picture. These do the same thing: http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html