The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 1999, 03:56 PM   #1
CAK

When Federal tactical buckshot hit the scene a few years ago, I heard that it didn't always function 100% in gas guns, especially with the Benelli. Has this problem been worked out? Was it ever a problem?

------------------
El Cid '89

Old November 20, 1999, 05:40 PM   #2
Rosco P. Coltrain

Yes, it has been worked out. The Benelli will cycle a wide range of loads. But the best solution is to use real buckshot loads instead of the reduced "tactical" loads. Tactical buckshot is a design trade-off, you trade some terminal balistics for a reduction in recoil. In theory this would increase the effectiveness of some shotgun users. Gas opperated shotguns do not have as much recoil as other actions, so the trade-off of a reduced load might not be worth as much.

I am not against "tactical" loads per say, but they are an equipment solution to what is a training problem. I think proper weapon fit and training are better solutions than using less effective ammo.
Old November 20, 1999, 08:38 PM   #3
Douglas in CT

My $.02
I have a M1 Super 90 and have shot both the S&B "00" and the Federal Tactical "00" - all in 2 3/4 inch shells.

Observations:
* I am consistently amazed at the recoil difference between the two.

* The S&B, although more aggressive punching through the paper target, is more aggressive on my shoulder (leaving wonderful blood vessel grid marks from the butt plate) when compared with shooting the Federal Tactical round (no marks).
No need for tattooing with the S&B round.

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT

Old November 20, 1999, 11:16 PM   #4
Dorcas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When Federal tactical buckshot hit the scene a few years ago, I heard that it didn't always function 100% in gas guns, especially with the Benelli.[/quote]

The Benelli M1S90 is recoil operated not gas operated. BTW, mine functions just fine with Federal low recoil 00 and #4 buck. However if it didn't Wolf ( www.gunsprings.com } sells a reduced power recoil spring, which is supposed to improve functioning with reduced loads.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...
Old November 21, 1999, 01:52 AM   #5
Cat

My Remington 1100's both fire the tactical buck from Federal without a problem. These guns are standard 2 3/4" chambered firearms.
Neil Casper
Old November 22, 1999, 09:40 PM   #6
Edmund Rowe

I took a 3 day tactical shotgun class last February with my M1 Super 90 Benelli.

Most everyone was using Federal Tactical buckshot when the drill called for buckshot. The Benelli people were starting to have malfunctions a day or two into class except mine. I believe this happened because at the end of each day on the range I scrupulously cleaned and oiled mine. Another student said one could eat off of my shotgun.

Regarding semi-auto shotgun reliabilty, I was present during a conversation between 2 professional firearms instructors where one said at Gunsite the Brand X started malfing first and Brand Y started malfing last during a long class. (5 days?) The other instructor said he's seen the exact opposite. That told me reliability isn't governed by the brand name (usually). At the very least, maintenance and cleaning is something we have some control over so I guess my advice is to keep your social shotgun clean as a whistle. That goes for pumps as well as semi-autos.

Edmund