The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2015, 09:39 AM   #1
mjm

Mold Casting twoo different weights

I made my first cast bullets (linotype) yesterday for a .41 magnum. I weighed each bullet and found a bunch in the 204-205 gr range and an equal number in the 201-202 range. 202 and 205 were dominant. I let the last two cast cool in the mold and then weighed them. It appears that one cavity produces 202 and the other 205.

Is different weights out of the same mold common? Find another mold?
Old March 16, 2015, 09:51 AM   #2
mehavey

You will find that once sized, the weight difference has absolutely minimal effect on shooting -- especially in a handgun.
Old March 16, 2015, 02:45 PM   #3
chris in va

Agreed, especially with a thumper handgun cartridge. Sort them if it bothers you.
Old March 16, 2015, 03:19 PM   #4
454PB

Your weight variance is not unusual, and not a problem. I have to ask, why are you using straight linotype? If you diluted it some, it would go further and still be hard enough for .41 magnum loads.

Maybe you have a lot of cheap or free linotype, I'm in that position and straight linotype does make beautiful boolits, but they are way harder than needed for any handgun boolit. Even with the large stash I have, if I do need a very hard boolit, I mix 75% wheel weights and 25% linotype, then water drop them.
Old March 16, 2015, 06:09 PM   #5
mjm

Thank you for all replies. I will will give both weights a try. I suspect I won't be able to tell the difference...at least with my shooting skills.

454PB, I wish I had a free source of linotype. I am just taking baby steps right now and following a known recipe passed down in the family.
Old March 16, 2015, 06:36 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Thank you for all replies. I will will give both weights a try. I suspect I won't be able to tell the difference...at least with my shooting skills.

454PB, I wish I had a free source of linotype. I am just taking baby steps right now and following a known recipe passed down in the family.
If your concerned about having issues with leading in that caliber, you should be more worried about the alloy being overly hard rather than too soft.

Not trying to be condescending about things, just telling you what I have learned with my 41, and believe me I am shooting WAY softer than lino or even water dropped WW. Granted I have fouled up my barrel a time or two but it was due to being to hard the first time and the wrong lube the second time.

I'll hopefully be posting a report on some I tested out this past weekend, but here is a teaser, the alloy runs around a 10-12 at the hardest. Half were powder coated, half plain, sized and lubed with Carnuba Red. My loads ranged from top end 296, to top end 2400, with some AA-7 rolled in for good measure, and all bullets are plain based, (well other than the PC). No leading what so ever and trust me some of these really rocked....
Old March 19, 2015, 09:18 PM   #7
GP100man

First off I weigh 10% of my cast bullets if weight is within 3-4% I shoot em .

Yes that`s almost 8gr. difference on a 255gr bullet for the 44mag & I`ve benched em thru my Redhawk with a scope at 75yds ,NO difference in POI.

I`d be amazing to us all if we knew how much alloy I wasted trying to shoot hard bullets .
Handguns rarely need a hi bhn ,rifles on the other hand .
Old March 21, 2015, 02:44 AM   #8
trapper9260

I do not weight my boolits only when I will do long range shots.Other wise I do not worry about the weight.As for BHN most of the PB I have the BHN around 11 for small cal like 32cal hand gun and small boolits for 9mm ,38spl and 357 and light 44mag. On GC I go with the same or just a little harder around 12 to 14. Lino is I think BHN 22 and I water it down with soft lead to what I want for BHN.
I do not have any leading.