The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2014, 08:38 PM   #1
ajshep

pre 64 model 94 won't fire

I have a winchester model 94 made in 1898. I inherited from my grandfather. I shot a couple boxes of factory ammo through it with no problems, I got some hand loads from a very reputable loader. However they don't seem to want to fire. If I pull the hammer back and shoot again 2-3 times they eventually fire. After the first try I have checked the primer and there is a dimple from the firing pin. I been to broke to buy more factory ammo to try. Could it be the ammo or is it the gun? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 4, 2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Could be as simple as a weak mainspring.

Sounds like hard primers too. Any clue what he's using?
Old November 4, 2014, 10:18 PM   #3
ajshep

According to the reloader's label the primers are cci 200. my first thought was hard primers as well I wanna run some more factory ammo through it to see if it's just the reloads. I've been to broke to buy any though. Figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had any other ideas. Thanks
Old November 4, 2014, 10:24 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd clean the firing pin and firing pin channel. Build up of grease and dirt can impede the forward momentum of the firing pin.
Old November 4, 2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

CCI primers are definitely hard primers. Did it dent the factory ammo's primers as deep as any other gun? If it did, then you can rule out the nose of the firing pin being worn down.

First, clean it well, the firing pin, (I think your's has a two-piece, with a short piece, known as the striker, in the locking bolt), and the hole in the breech and locking bolt for it, along with cleaning the action, hammer, its pin, and oil well. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd try a new hammer spring.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; November 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM.