The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Qtiphky

What do you do?

I was reloading 223 recently and I was questioning one of my steps. I don't remember when or why I started doing this but does it make sense? I am loading for an autoloader Bushmaster.

I full length re-size, trim and full length size again. Is the second sizing necessary and does anyone else do it? I think I picked up on it on this forum as I don't recall doing it before I started reading here every day. I do it for both previously fired and new brass.
Old July 6, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
rocket12

I do not size again, never had any problems
Old July 6, 2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nope. You're throwing in an unnecessary step.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 6, 2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Big Ugly Tall Texan

For a semi, you need to full length resize...

But just once.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 6, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
gandog56

The only time I resize, trim, and resize again is if I am converting one caliber to another. (e.g. 30.06 to 8mm Mauser).
Old July 6, 2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Sevens

It's worse than throwing in an unnecessary step.

It's also adding to the stress on your brass (shortening it's life) and it's also goofing up your COAL after trimming.

I'd recommend this order:
--bring it home from the range and stick it in the tumbler
--lube, resize, deprime
--trim, chamfer
--load
--shoot
Repeat as necessary!
Old July 6, 2009, 03:32 PM   #7
gendoc

as long as you use it in the same gun, its not nessesary.
i've seen people pickup brass at the range and reload them...
and wonder why they fte or get stuck in the chamber:barf:
once its fire formed to a chamber, then thats what it needs to be used in..
or you can FLS.....thats from my experiance because
i shoot one-holers, i can't tell ya bout semi's.. cept fer scatter guns
Old July 6, 2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Tim R

I reload a lot of 223 for service rifle, aka High Power. For shooting this I have a couple of match tuned AR's. Both have Wylde chambers. I size once with a Hornaday match bushing die with the bushing size set for SMK's. If I need to trim I trim right after sizing. The single one thing to remember with 233, is to run the size die down to the shell holder (ram up of course) and then turn the die another 1/4 +/- turn down and lock the lock ring. This will make sure your rounds will chamber and eject, bumping the shoulders back far enough as well.

Range brass can be good or bad. I don't leave brass on the range I would plan on using again.

As a side note:

When I start a new run of 223, I always make sure a sized case will chamber and eject from the service rifle I'm loading for with out any problems before I add primer, powder and bullets. In fact I pick 5 cases at random out of the batch and check each of them. If the 5 cases chamber and eject ok, it's time to move on.

I don't get too rapped up on cartridge length as long as the timed and rapid fire rounds fit the mags with out binding. I check this too by loading one mag of 8 loaded rounds and cycle them through the rifle. (finger off trigger and safety on)

The long yard ammo where I use 80 gr SMK's my OAL depends on seating the bullet .015 off the lands. The 600 yard ammo is loaded one at a time anyways and doesn't need to fit the mag.

Last edited by Tim R; July 6, 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old July 6, 2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Qtiphky,

You may have seen one of my posts? In the past I have posted that running a case into the sizer twice and counting to five while it rests in there each time will set the shoulder back another couple of thousandths. It is close to the effect of having a small base die for one normal pass. It is normally only needed the first time you resize brass that was last fired in another gun with a bigger chamber. Personally, I will do this three times, just to be sure, but I remove the decapper/expander for the first two passes to avoid over-working the case neck and having to anneal sooner.

Once you've fired the cases in your own chamber, normal single-pass sizing should be all you require.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 7, 2009, 07:30 AM   #10
Qtiphky

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Again, I don't remember where I read to do that, but for some reason it sounded good at the time. I have my own range and all the ammo has been shot through my guns. I have only been reloading for two years now and still have a lot of brass sitting around and would like to get it loaded up for shooting this fall. This should speed up the process.