The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 26, 2005, 01:53 PM   #1
stainless shooter

.45 loads for old army

New to forum. thanks for any Info. For years Ive shot a stainless old army using a Lee #90347 mold, .452-190 swc over a full cylinder of pyrodex P. For what I figure is about 950 fps, accuracy is outstanding a little trigger polishing and a one hole group at 25 yards is the result. I recently purchased a Taylor conversion cylinder in .45LC Iwould like to duplicate this load in a smokeless powder, maybee a little hotter, but cant find any loads for .45 that list such a light bullet. Any one have Info on a simular load, I would also use this in my s+w 25-7. great to see a place where American can seek such freedom.
Old December 26, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Hafoc

Check out _Modern Reloading_ by Richard Lee. It contains loads for 160 and 180 grain lead bullets and 185 grain jacketed, and moves up from there.

I have NO IDEA IF IT IS SAFE and can't take any responsibility if you try it-- but I personally have loaded some .45s using a bullet too light for the data I used. THEORETICALLY this shouldn't be too dangerous, since by using a lighter bullet with the same powder charge I THEORETICALLY should be reducing the pressure. It's important not to get that backward! In any case, I never did this for a bullet more than a few grains lighter.
Old December 27, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Nortonics

If you don't get an answer here try checking in to the Handloads.com forum as well. I'd bet you'll get lots of good answers there...

http://forums.handloads.com/