The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 08:22 AM   #51
Sharpsdressed Man

Of course, you don't have to move. Speaking personally, it would boil down to this: why would I want to live among those that DON'T value my kind of freedom? Freedom to defend myself, if necessary. Freedom to own the kind of guns I want to. Freedom to go shooting when I want. Freedom to have as much ammo in my house, or on me, that I desire. Freedom to be around other like minded people who don't encroach on MY freedoms. New Yorkers can stay and fight for their rights. I won't be joining them, but I won't be turning them away if they move to Ohio.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:05 AM   #52
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Sad to see so many buying into the fight-amongst-yourself mentality, rather than gathering forces against the real threat. I think the Obama plan is going to be a real wakeup call to the rest of the country that good, gun owning people are, for the most part, outnumbered nationally as well. We just got an early taste of what's to come in NY.
You don't like the idea that someone suggests there's a problem in NY, yet you're perfectly willing to suggest that the problem is nation wide?

I don't think the "sky is falling" line of thinking is productive in the least. NY has a very serious problem, right now, on the books, laws passed. Doesn't really matter if individual residents are "offended" by others suggesting there's a problem there. Doesn't matter if anyone from NY suggests "It's an early taste of what's to come in YOUR state". What matters is that come about April of this year, YOU and a few thousand or million other NY'ers will be criminals because of your gun/magazine/whatever ownership. Doesn't really matter whose fault that is. But passing that off as "It's just an early taste of what you're going to get as well" is NOT going to get you out of jail in April.

How about let's FIX the nonsense in NY and other places where the emperors are clueless, rather than cave in and say "I'm offended, you'll get yours". There must be a reason why you want to stay in a state which has enacted laws that will make YOU a criminal in a few months. If it were me, I'd be seriously weighing those reasons against the fines/jail time, whatever ramifications that could manifest themselves out of this stupid, but very very real set of laws that YOUR legislators have enacted.

My legislators have not enacted those kinds of laws.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 23, 2013, 10:31 AM   #53
bird_dog

Quote:
You don't like the idea that someone suggests there's a problem in NY, yet you're perfectly willing to suggest that the problem is nation wide?
I'm the FIRST to admit there's a huge problem in NY. It wasn't caused by people like me. You should really read my post before commenting with something that far off base. I absolutely stand by what I said. The problem that IS in NY, is also the problem we face nationwide.

Check out who just got inaugurated yesterday...YES, the problem is nationwide. Again, as I just said in the last post, we here in NY got a taste of what's to come, most likely, for the rest of the US.

Quote:
rather than cave in and say "I'm offended, you'll get yours".
I'm offended at the NY bashing. I don't want you to "get yours". I suspect that we are all going to "get ours". I don't wish this on anyone.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:23 AM   #54
Glenn E. Meyer

Way off topic - get back to the technical nature of revolvers.

General NYS commentary - move, stay and fight, run around and flap your arms - can be in one of the threads in General or L and CR.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:57 AM   #55
Digger686

"Yesterday, 11:03 PM #48, WIN1886, Senior Member

So if you had a S&W 627 Pro 8 shot revolver and went to the range to target practice or to hunt some where in NY.....you could only legally load 7 rounds in the revolver ? Doesn't this seem a bit childish...like being told your not responsible enough to have one more round in the revolver ?"

As a Brit who knows a thing or two about ill-informed, over-the-top, knee-jerk legislation, this strikes me as utterly pointless.

If someone has a revolver capable of holding 8 rounds or more and is of a mind to misuse it, for example by committing multiple homicide, they're hardly going to be put off loading the cylinder to capacity just cos they're not allowed to load more than 7 rounds.

Or is there something obvious that I've missed?
Old January 23, 2013, 01:52 PM   #56
carguychris

Quote:
So if you had a S&W 627 Pro 8 shot revolver and went to the range to target practice or to hunt some where in NY.....you could only legally load 7 rounds in the revolver ?
There is a narrow exception for a sanctioned competition being held at a shooting range, but otherwise, you are correct.
Quote:
As a Brit who knows a thing or two about ill-informed, over-the-top, knee-jerk legislation, this strikes me as utterly pointless... If someone has a revolver capable of holding 8 rounds or more and is of a mind to misuse it... they're hardly going to be put off loading the cylinder to capacity just cos they're not allowed to load more than 7 rounds... Or is there something obvious that I've missed?
Yes, it's pointless - heartily agreed - no, you haven't missed anything.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:43 PM   #57
chewie146

FYI: From NY

A: Most handguns are not assault weapons and are not affected by this law. A traditionally designed handgun is not an assault weapon. For example a single shot pistol or a revolver cannot be an assault weapon. To confirm that your handgun is not an assault weapon and to see common models and characteristics click here.

This is from the state guide, and is not the letter of the law. The link to the page is as follows.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-...ine=true#rifle

You're safe with a 500-round revolver. Single shots and revolvers don't count. The moon clips don't count as "magazines" apparently. I don't know that for sure, though. All it says is that revolvers don't count.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:21 PM   #58
bird_dog

Quote:
Most handguns are not assault weapons and are not affected by this law. A traditionally designed handgun is not an assault weapon. For example a single shot pistol or a revolver cannot be an assault weapon.
Unfortunately guns that are not considered 'assault weapons' under the new law are also included in the legislation. Handgun capacity is a huge issue. Many people who have called the NY hotline have gotten affirmative answers, including me, that this may indeed affect revolvers, and absolutely DOES effect traditional semi-auto handguns.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:46 PM   #59
wnycollector

I'm waiting to see what the chapter amendments look like when the NYS legislature goes to polish this **** of a law. With any luck, they will clarify the status of revolvers, but with how things work in this state I'm not hopeful.