The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 13, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
jakeLC

Planning a hog hunt

Planning a hog hunt this summer but not sure which rifle to bring. I was hoping either my 45 colt lever action or my savage .223 would work but i just dont know if either could take down a full grown hog. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions.
Old January 13, 2012, 04:32 PM   #2
rickyrick

Either would work in the right circumstances.

Where are you planning to hunt?
Old January 13, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
ammo.crafter

oink!

Geographically speaking, where will you be huntimg?
What is the average size hog usually taken?
What is the average distance for your first shot?
Will you be in open areas or more or less wooded areas?
Old January 13, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4
jakeLC

its a ranch in texas close to the border of louisiana. the owner says there everywhere down there. He said most of the hogs appear to be around 200-250 pounds and the shot will be from about 40-50 yds more than likely
Old January 13, 2012, 04:38 PM   #5
1tfl

I've been hunting hogs for many years and I have yet to see a hog that would not go down with a good hit from 223/5.56. On the other hand, I have never seen a hog go down with a bad hit from a 375 H&H. You just gotta hit the right spot. I have put down plenty of hogs using handguns in 45ACP and 357 Mag. caliber.

If you have never hunted hogs before I suggest you do some homework and study the hog anatomy as it is different from deers. A lot of people say hogs are tough to put down but IMHO it is no more difficult than a deer of similar size. I believe hog's reputation came from people shooting them in the wrong parts of the body. Hogs heart and lungs sit much lower and forward than on a deer. That perfect deer shot behind the front leg when taken on a hog is too high and too far back. With hogs you want to shoot lower and further forward in the chest. I personally shoot them in the neck as it is large target and very effective in dropping them quickly... it also minimize meat loss.

To answer your question, yes you can drop good size hogs with rifles in 45LC or 223 if you hit them in the right spot.
Old January 13, 2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Lee McNelly

sugg

visit texasboars
Old January 13, 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
rickyrick

Old January 13, 2012, 04:51 PM   #8
rickyrick

Grr! I'll type it later!
Old January 13, 2012, 08:50 PM   #9
ammo.crafter

oink

Like 1tfl said, if you never hog hunted before, use something substaintial. Me, I use a .444 Marlin at 290gr. They go down and stay down.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:41 PM   #10
BigBadPigg

If you take a head shot either gun will work wonderfully!
Old January 14, 2012, 10:26 AM   #11
JACK308

IMO I think the best gun to kill hogs with is the Marlin 1895 45/70 you just know when the bullet leaves the barrel the hog will be dead when the bullet arrives. Why take a chance with a smaller cal?.
Old January 14, 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
theyallhurt

Quote:
IMO I think the best gun to kill hogs with is the Marlin 1895 45/70 you just know when the bullet leaves the barrel the hog will be dead when the bullet arrives. Why take a chance with a smaller cal?.
I'm going on my first boar hunt this year as well. Pretty much every seasoned boar guide/hunter told me the 45-70 will definitely drop 'em; that's their preferred caliber it seems. They do stress that, like 1tfl said, its all in knowing the game and good shot placement...basic hunting 101.
Old January 14, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Deja vu

Of the guns you listed I would go with the 45. But I believe either will work.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 15, 2012, 12:24 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I recommend you do some homework and study the hog anatomy as it is dissimilar from deers as well.
If you aren't trying to clip the rear edge of the lungs with your shot and instead are trying to put a round through the middle of the lungs or the heart, you will be fine.

Skull anatomy is very different and volumetrically the brain is smaller on a pig than a deer given the size of the animal and size of the head. So a lot of folks aim for the base of the ear, about an inch below, inch below and slighty forward, or slighty backward. Those are all fine shots. People like neck shots as well.

Quote:
IMO I think the best gun to kill hogs with is the Marlin 1895 45/70 you just know when the bullet leaves the barrel the hog will be dead when the bullet arrives.
I love my .45-70 but have taken more hogs with .223/5.56. Most of the hogs taken with the smaller caliber have be via CNS damage. The nice thing about such shots is that the hog does not run and the meat usually isn't damaged.

If you are shooting at 50 yards or so, there should be no reason you can't make good head shots on the hogs with the .223 or the .45.
Old January 15, 2012, 04:15 PM   #15
rickyrick

Shootem like this.

This youngish boar was moved into the light for photo, but it is a good example for instant incapacitation by a .223.

The side shown is also the exit wound, the other side the pig was slightly quartered away, so the shot was slightly higher and further back...maybe 45 deg from the ear. I show this picture because it shows a wound better than most pictures that I have taken.

50 yards, 55gr jhp, I don't recall the brand. I haven't used it again because it made an exit.

As you can see the neck is a pretty large target. If the animal is positioned correctly, it is an easy shot to make.

I believe the pigs fall so quickly due to hydrostatic effects, not necessarily wound diameter.

Last edited by rickyrick; January 15, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Tags
.223 , 45 colt , hog hunting