The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2001, 05:02 AM   #1
Chief47

Reloading magazines?

Are there any good handgun reloading magazines on the market? If so what do you subscribe to? I haven't seen any at the news stands.
Old December 13, 2001, 08:28 AM   #2
MADISON

Reloading magazines on the News Stand?

I seems like none of our magazine publishers want to take the responsibility of giving you loads. They must fear blowing up your firearm and being sued for it or, being sued because some "mugger" was shot by their published load.
Old December 13, 2001, 10:33 AM   #3
WIL TERRY

HANDLOADER MAGAZINE

PUBLISHED BY WOLFE PUBLISHING [ IN PRESCOTT ARIZONA ] SINCE 1966. I HAVE 'EM ALL IN BINDERS.
Old December 13, 2001, 01:47 PM   #4
KP95DAO

They are scared. Even Handloader hasn't been the same for a long time. I used to be a subcriber. What ever happened to personal responsibility?
Old December 13, 2001, 02:25 PM   #5
griz

Put me down as another fan of Handloader magazine.

And in today’s litigious society, everybody is cautious. Would YOU post a load on this board that was over the max in all the books and give no disclaimer at all? I wouldn't.
Old December 15, 2001, 08:31 AM   #6
Redneck2

Another vote for "Handloader"

Seems like every month there's something I'm interested in. I was trying to decide on the .44 Mag/45LC. That month they had the write-up on the LC and that's the way I went.

I am getting a lever gun to match it. Wondered how high I could safely load it (could I use my Ruger loads???). They had it.

One thing I like is that, if something is crap, they pretty much spell it out. When's the last time you saw a bad review in any handgun or rifle rag???

Oh, Precision Shooting has a website. I don't subscribe but some of the BR guys here like it.
Old December 16, 2001, 02:40 AM   #7
Clark

This month "Handloader" published 4 levels of 32-20 loads. They also tested factory ammo. The factory ammo was as low as the lowest level.

I recently bought a stack of 15 year old "Handloader"s. The magazine is better than it used to be.
Old December 19, 2001, 06:24 AM   #8
Dogjaw

I read Shooting Times Magazine. It isn't dedicated strictly to reloading, but they give some good data each month. One writer deals only with reloading issues and data. They simply put in a disclaimer saying basically, "it works in mine, it might not be so good in yours". They also seem to be a little more straight up on their reviews.
Old December 19, 2001, 09:23 AM   #9
sricciardelli

Not only are there no good reloading magazines left on the market, there are no good magazines at all on the market!

Be it cameras, guns, cars, audio/video equipment, they all suck anymore! Seems that the best reviews go to the company who has the most full-page ads, or the company who gives the largest perks!

I have seen reviews of firearms with portions reading, "...the wood to metal fit was acceptable, but there were large gaps that could be seen by the naked eye...", or "...accuracy was an acceptable 5-inch group at 25 yards from a rest...", and then at the end of the review the "reviewer" stated that this particular gun was one of the best in it's class and a real steal at only $2,000! (All followed naturally by a two-page, full-page ad from the importer!)

Reloading is the same...they push whatever is offering the most, not to the reader, but to the writer.
Old December 21, 2001, 05:59 AM   #10
Dogjaw

sricciardelli,

You and I are on the same wave length. Most writers push "premium" bullets that cost $20 for 50, where "inferior standard" bullets are more than enough at $13/100 count. The same goes for guns. I guess the marketing works, as there are people out there that are totally convinced that off the shelf Remington, Winchester and Federal ammo aren't good enough to kill big game.
The most honest article I came across was on so called premium (price that is) vs. standard bullets. Came down to if your shooting under 2900 fps, or at a long range, any bullet will do. Shooting in close with a magnum, use a tougher bullet.
Old December 21, 2001, 01:07 PM   #11
pbash

Handloader is excellent. I disagree that they are particularly worried about being sued. While they don't publish suicidal loads, they did publish some hot, "Ruger only", .45Colt loads a couple of issues ago.