The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 19, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Woodencardboard

40x's

A couple of days ago a friend of mine told me about a shootin comp he called 40x's (Idk if that's what it is really refered to) but it is where you shoot the center out of a small X with a .22, this has me interested. I was wondering what all the competition entails and what gear you recomended? Thanks in advance for all feedback!
Old August 19, 2010, 09:37 AM   #2
kraigwy

I don't know about the "40X" competition, but similar is the "English Match"
which is a small bore prone match. Competition usually consist of 40 or 60 shots per match, so I guess you could call the 40 shot English match a 40X match, since you dern near have to do that to win.

To be competitive you pretty much have to clean the targets. The winner is determined by X count. It sounds a lot harder then it is. With a good rifle and ammo, its not hard to clean 50 Ft Small Bore NRA, even ISU targets in the prone position. A little harder when you go outside and shoot 50 Meter ISU targets.

If interested, go to the CMP bookstore and order the International Rifle Marksmanship Guide put out by the Army Marksmanship Unit ($6.95), it will cover just about all you need to get you started in Small Bore Shooting.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 19, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

I also haven't heard of a match called 40Xs. But using kraigwys analogy one could also call the smallbore "Dewar Match" a 40Xs thing. This match is 20 shots at 50 yds and 20 shots at 100 yds from the prone position. Here also the winner usually is determined by the number of X's across the course. This is a fun challenge with just about any .22 rifle but of course a quality target grade rifle with good ammo is the norm. Wind and light conditions come also into play.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old August 19, 2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Jim Watson

No, you don't "shoot the center out of a small X." That used to be a carnival shooting galery game.

You are shooting at a bullseye target with scoring rings 10,9,8,7,6,5.
Inside the 10 ring is the X ring. It is the tiebreaker. It counts 10 points on your total score but the number of Xs you shoot goes to break a tie. Shooters, guns, and ammunition is so good that there can be multiple perfect number scores. So a 100-8X beats a 100-5X. But a 99-9X loses to a 100-5X, the point total comes first.
If 40 shots are fired, then a perfect score is 400-40X.
Remington makes a target rifle called the 40X because they want you to think it will get you a perfect score.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:07 PM   #5
langenc

When the Remington 40xwas named it was because the course of fire was:

10 rounds each at 50 FEET-prone, sitting, standing and kneeling.
Max possible 400-40x. When I was in college there were a couple shooters that would do 392 to 395 pretty consistantly. I dont recall the X counts..

They let me shoot so as to make a 5 man team. If you couldnt field a 5 man team the individual scores were not counted and their 394s were all in vain. I should have collected from them, at least lunch.