The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 27, 2011, 05:31 PM   #101
Uncle Buck

I want to tag this thread because I find the whole thing interesting.

I wish you could start manufacturing them again. I would save my nickles and dimes to be able to purchase one.
Old April 27, 2011, 06:08 PM   #102
mesinge2

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Buck:

I wish you could start manufacturing them again. I would save my nickles and dimes to be able to purchase one.
+1

I would buy one as well. Might even sell a few I own to do it!
Old April 28, 2011, 10:33 AM   #103
curt.45

me three!

I mean I'd by one.

can't afford three.

a 4 or 5 inch in stainless?
Old April 28, 2011, 11:16 AM   #104
dukeintexas

Anything with a money order involved these days is a scam, learned this one the hard way sadly.

It was fun for a bit. Thanks JW for clearing the air, and mucking up German parliament.

So now that we can't have a medusa (most likely), JW any recommendations for the next best thing? One of the multi-cylindar ruger blackhawks? Find the guy from the davinci code and challenge him to a life or death battle for his?

How did that show up in the movie, by the way? Did you have any input on that, or just random?
Old May 2, 2011, 11:09 AM   #105
Apocalus

FN Herstal

Sorry Guys, I was off camping for a few days.

Reply from FN;

"The Medusa was made by a US company Philips and Rogers.
FN marketed an Astra (Spain) pistol called the Barracuda that could use ..38spl, .357 mag and 9mm parabellum.
This has not been produced since the 1980's.
Best regards,
Shane Healey

FN HERSTAL, S.A.
http://www.fnherstal.com"
Old May 2, 2011, 02:02 PM   #106
jwphillips2

Thanks for sharing your response from FN! I found no patent search information at the time, either foreign or domestic, for a license for a multi-caliber weapon during the 80s or 90s. I was it.

I found this a curious response for FN until I read it more carefully.

"FN marketed an Astra (Spain) pistol called the Barracuda that could USE ..38spl, .357 mag and 9mm parabellum."

I remember this as a largish "cylinder swap" revolver ala Korth, Ruger, etc. Wow, old memories...

Have patience and I'll eventually get the DaVinci Code story, bolt action Explorer, and pics of the Blackhawk drop-in cylinder.
Old May 3, 2011, 08:53 AM   #107
jwphillips2

6 Shot Colt - 5 Shot P&R

These two BUGs never made it to market.

By the way, the FN Barracuda revolver required half-moon clips even with the 9mm cylinder installed. I don't get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1.jpg (64.9 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg C2.jpg (59.9 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by jwphillips2; May 3, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old August 19, 2011, 09:22 PM   #108
zucchi

Ruger Blackhawk cylinder instructions?

I just came into possession of a Phillips & Rodgers 38/357.9MM cylinder-BH-357 for the Ruger New Model Blackhawk, used but still in the box. On the box it reads, "WARNING: READ INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS", but there were no instructions. Do one of you fine folks have instructions you could share with me? It's not necessary that I have an original instruction sheet but I would like to get the text. Also, does anyone know if anything else was included? I ask because in the box, there was a small manilla envelope with, what looks like, some thin, narrow washers/shims, a set screw, and a firing pin. Are these pieces that go with the cylinder?

I see that Mr. Phillips reads and contributes to this forum; perhaps he would be so generous as to help me out?

NOTE to the admin: If you feel this should be the start of a new thread, please make it so, thank you.
Old November 21, 2011, 02:50 PM   #109
serbear4u

Medusa magic

Plus one (+1) on buying any new Medusa Mr. Phillips would care to produce!

And a curious thought that just crept into my brain... Have you seen the new-ish Rhino revolver? What if said Rhino were built to accept multiple calibers? Talk about having your cake, ice cream, pie, danish, cookie, tarts and eating them all at the same time, too!

Last edited by serbear4u; November 23, 2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: i want to eat food, not litigation...
Old November 22, 2011, 12:31 PM   #110
jwphillips2

Update

I'm working on setting up an informational server site to post some pics and videos. I don't think The Firing Line would appreciate me dumping a few gigabytes of files on them, so I'll continue to cuss and discuss on here and then post any "new" pics or history on the server. I'll let you know how it goes...

A few very late responses (READ PREVIOUS):

The Rhino would be a good platform for the multi if frame and materials were upgraded. I like it.

No millionaires have contacted me about re-booting the Medusa.

The Astra Barracuda (aka: Police Model) uses a half-moon clip AND an extra 9mm cylinder to become a multi-caliber. I saw one recently at a gun shop - 3 inch barrel only, still head spaces from the front of the round. Do I really need to comment on this? What is a half-moon clip?

The instructions that were included with the BH-357 concerned installation clearances for proper fit and function. I still haven't uncovered one of these in my junk, but will post it as soon as I do. Too many mods were required for the conversion of a .44 Mag Ruger Redhawk to a 5-shot .50 Action Express for gunsmith instructions. Stay tuned.

That's all I have for now. Be safe and healthy for the Holidays!
Old November 25, 2011, 09:55 AM   #111
jwphillips2

Hero Gun

"Always wanted one, could never find/afford one. One character in an adventure serial carried one, can't remember the name of the book."

from armoredman

It was used by the hero in Tom Clancy's Net Force series. The author actually owns a 4 inch.

~Jonathan
Old November 30, 2011, 10:30 AM   #112
jwphillips2

Take down of the cylinder assembly

I know I promised this before.

Make sure to secure the cylinder tightly, either by holding it firmly or wrapping it in a cloth and putting it in a bench vise. The cloth is to prevent scarring or scratching. Use the picture posted here as a guide. The extractor rod screws into the ratchet assembly with a reverse thread. (Screwing it in loosens it, unscrewing it tightens it.) Use a small amount of WD40 to dribble down the inside and exterior of the extractor rod. Gently turn the extractor rod clockwise until it releases and unscrews from the ratchet assembly. The ratchet assembly is physically pinned to the extractor/latch. Do not try to take them apart. Clean, then lightly oil the parts before re-assembly. You're done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medusa47.jpg (12.9 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by jwphillips2; November 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:23 AM   #113
FrankenMauser

If you have some money to blow, there's a Medusa up for sale in Northern Utah:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...85&s_cid=E0003

Take the ad with a grain of salt... The guy is asking $2,500, but can't even post a photo of the thing. All he has up, is a stock photo.
Old January 23, 2012, 08:01 PM   #114
TxFlyFish

I know this is an old thread but this is absolutely cool! It just cost as much as a mateba hmmm
Old January 24, 2012, 11:06 PM   #115
yenningcomity

As someone who owns a unica 6 it costs more than a mateba except maybe a mtr8. I would love to get one, but cannot justify 2500. For that coin I would rather get a browning superposed 3 barrel set.
Old April 8, 2012, 03:05 AM   #116
Medusa

Can't believe I got this username, WooHoo!!! No, I don't own one, I have 3! ROFL
Anyways, If somebody wants one, gunbroker has 3 auctions going on right now with the model 47 on the block! Two auctions have a 4"bbl and one has a 6"bbl, they are sitting right now at 4K, 4500 and 5500 respectfully. Serious coin for these pieces of art! I betting the raise in prices on all firearms and ammo are going to get worse till NOV and maybe even after that depends on the outcome! Talk about hoarders and it doesn't help hearing the doomdayers talking.
I'll get some pics posted Sunday night so you can drool a little, I drool a lot everytime I handle them.
I followed this tread for awhile, still never seen an answer of how many total were made. I also heard 5 were made to test for military uses, is this true? Also heard that some "seals" use them. I heard they can be shot underwater, is that true? If the military had some made is that in the total count also?
Old August 28, 2013, 01:14 AM   #117
mrt949

The rhino is being produced in 357.& 9mm .
Old August 31, 2013, 03:12 PM   #118
curt.45

could you please give us a link to the article or tell us how you know this?
Old February 20, 2015, 01:12 PM   #119
Idlon1

Medusa Rear sight ?

Hi everybody,
This is my first post here, after I have already gathered quite some good info, it's time for a question:
What rear sights fit the Medusa Revolver?
I have a 4" version that has a rear sight that looks similar to a colt Python/Accro rear sight.
Do the replacement sights for Pythons also fit the Medusa or is there a difference?
On my Medusa, the sight elevation screw broke while shooting, and the top of the screw popped out. I found the spring and one of the small balls but the screw is broken.
Any ideas how I can replace this?
Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Idlon1 from Europe

Last edited by Idlon1; February 20, 2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Title
Old February 20, 2015, 06:29 PM   #120
barnbwt

You should probably put up some pics/measurements, since nothing standard will likely fit, nor will hardly anyone have firsthand knowledge for you. I'd open a new thread in Gunsmithing, too

TCB