The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Nils

Marlin Model 39A

I have a 1969 39A in primo shape. It started to malfunction over the weekend by not feeding correctly and then the lever would not close completely. I believe I need to disassemble it and replace parts. I have contacted marlin and they are sending me the owner's manual and a pictorial of the parts. I'm thinking the manual will be for basic cleaning, but not show or have disassembly instructions.

Does anyone have the documentation I need to get this baby back on the firing line?

Many thanks!!!
Old February 1, 2006, 11:03 PM   #2
joab

Early model schematics
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...0EARLY%20MODEL

Late model
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...20LATE%20MODEL

Owners Manual
http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_39a39m.pdf
Old February 1, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3
joab

Better schematic
http://www.again.net/~steve/ipb-marlin-39a.html
Old February 3, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Nils

Thank You!!!

Joab,
Just what I was looking for, thank you!

I got the parts ordered and got a couple extra ones just to replace for GP. I figured as long as I'm ordering parts, I might as well get a new firing pin, and a new lever spring. I also got a sling swivel stud to replace the the stock swivels. But I'll hold on to them for the original value.

Again, thank you, and I like Ben Cartwright too!

NH
Old February 4, 2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Bobshouse

When I was a kid, I was out shooting my dads 39a when the ejector spring broke. I went runnin back into the house and he took the gun, halfway inserted the spring, cleaned it and put it back into the closet. Seemed a little upset at me for something I had no power over.

He passed away a few years ago and I inhereted his guns. Took apart the 39a for a good cleaning and found that the spring, still in place, was broken, and had not been replaced. I smiled, realizing that I was probably the last to shoot that gun, all those years ago. So I made it right by purchasing a new spring and installing it....sorry for breaking it dad, but its finally fixed!

Hopefully, you will find the same, a small but important piece. Please let us know what broke so we can look for it in our own guns!

Bob
Old February 4, 2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Nils

Cartridge Guide Spring Broke

When I opened the gun the guide spring was lodged down in the lever and receiver wall. It's no wonder the thing wouldn't cycle rounds very well. I think it just stripped away from the screw that was holding it. The screw went bye-bye soon after.

Also. the Finger Lever spring was not engaging the lever. Operationally, I don't this is significant, but for the lever flopping loosely. So I took the spring off and bent it open a bit by tapping it with a finishing hammer. It seems to be working fine now, but I still ordered a new one just for fun.

This is a slick little gun. I didn't relize how super easy it is to work on. I own a Marlin 1895G also, that is truly an amazing rifle! If you ever get a chance to shoot a 45/70 Marlin, do it. It has real cool rolling affect like the 45 acp. I really enjoy shooting it. I got my first deer with that gun so it is very special to me in that way too.

I am wondering now, how I am going to replace that forepiece swivel with just the stud. Anybody's insight on that would be great!
Old February 4, 2006, 03:16 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

The standard swivel is staked on from inside.

Gently tap out the cross pin on the magazine band, and slide the magazine tube out.

CAREFULLY remove the fore end cap screws and slide the cap forward and off.

You'll have to break the staking on the swivel without distorting or damaging the cap.
You may or may not have to drill the hole larger to fit a stud, but take into account the limited room available inside the cap.

When replacing the cap, take GREAT care not to cross thread the cap screws. On the Marlin this is EASY to do.

Slide the magazine tube back into place taking care to be sure it properly seats in the front of the receiver, then replace the cross pin, being SURE to get it back into the tiny cut in the magazine tube.
Old March 4, 2006, 12:23 AM   #8
Nils

Thanks dfariswheel

I did just what you said and it came out great. Marlin sold me a new end cap with the stud swivel installed. The points you made about carefully starting those screws as to not cross thread them was right on the money. It was a little tricky.

Thanks again, very good advise!!!