The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 29, 2002, 11:16 AM   #1
Brian Newbill

Winchester Model 12 AMAZING

I just wanted to pass this interesting thing I found out this weeked. I was in a gun shop and I saw an old Win M12. It had all the finish worn off to the white in alot of places. The wood was almost black where it had been handled. I picked it up figuring that it would be pretty shaky. I have never picked up a shotgun as tight as this one was. It is un believable that a shotgun that old and that worn was so tight. It literally could not be moved. When you pushed the action release it would slide right down on its own weight but when the action was closed you could not even wiggle the forearm. You can't say that for any of the modern guns Remington, Mossy, Ithaca.

Man they sure don't make them like they used to.
Old April 29, 2002, 04:03 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

They can't afford to make them like they used to,
Brian.

All that machine work requires skilled labor.

A Model 12 is an eye opener all right.
Old April 29, 2002, 06:37 PM   #3
wm1300defender

Winchester is the Best.

Gotta Winchester model 1200 riotgun, like the type the military and police used in the '70's.
Wouldn't trade it for anything, works flawlessly, like all of my Winchester Defenders.
A lot of 1200's are still in service, both in the military, and the police, and on the homefront, why replace somethings that works just fine?
Old April 29, 2002, 11:24 PM   #4
kehrby

I started out shooting shotgun with a 20 ga Wingmaster which I know is Dave's personal favorite and I still love that gun but I have recently recieved several OLD Model 12s and a Model 42 .410 from a little old lady who happens to like me! Aren't I lucky. Anyway the 12ga "12" was made in 1937 and let me tell you it is as tight as the day it was made and is as worn looking as the one you saw. My "older" friend said that her husband used it to hunt for years. I used it for shooting trap this past summer and what a joy to shoot. Its just too bad they don't still make that gun but I know it would be at least a $2000 pump and it wouldn't sell. By the way, I will never part with these guns, too much life left in them! Also my wife thinks they just show their history
Old May 3, 2002, 12:43 AM   #5
makarov

I just got a Model 12 too! It belonged to my step-dad's father. I think it was made in the early 50's. It is well worn, but man is it solid. It really reminds me of the model 61 .22 pump that Winchester made. It is heavy, but well balanced and has a nice swing to it. I will never sell it, it is on sort of a permanent loan to me.