The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 1, 2011, 12:00 AM   #26
WyMark

Quote:
CCI Mini-Mags are cheaper than that at Walmart (plastic 100 ct boxes).
I think I pay about 7 for those at Wallyworld, and it's what my Mosquito likes best. Couple thousand rounds now and not a single FTE or FTF. Tried a box of Aguila and gave most of it away on the range, the Sig didn't like them at all.
Old December 1, 2011, 12:55 AM   #27
SIGSHR

Accuracy is the prime consideration for me, and since you can't reload you have find out what the gun likes.
Old December 1, 2011, 04:14 PM   #28
lawnboy

I've never seen or owned a .22 semi auto that wouldn't reliably cycle CCI Mini Mags (unless the gun was actually broken). I have guns that will cycle nothing but CCI Mini Mags reliably (Walther P22) as well as guns that will work with almost anything but work best with Mini Mags (Marlin Model 70).

Spend $6.50/100rds at Walmart for CCI MiniMag 36gr HP (that's 6.5 cents a shot)

The cheap Federal or Winchester bulk pack runs about 4 cents a round.

Spend the 2 and a half extra cents. It works better.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old December 1, 2011, 05:52 PM   #29
webbee

I agree with the other posters that CCI MiniMags are generally the most problem free in most .22 auto's for plinking/hunting. however there are some .22's that don't like them. The only sure way to find out what your .22 shoots best with is to try shooting as many differant brands as you can find. After all it's an excuse to go to the range and spend some time shooting.

The problem with some bulk products is the powder isn't uniform which leads to misfires. Some the quality control is poor.

Here's John O's test of .22 ammo that is interesting.
Old December 1, 2011, 06:46 PM   #30
MrGreen

CCI seems to be what most would go with, though I shot Remington out of my BuckMark and have had no problems.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:51 PM   #31
jimjakosh

22 autoloader ammunition jamming

I have a Remington 550-1 (1949 model) and it used to shoot any 22 as fast as I could pull the trigger. Recently I used it at the range in Az and had 500 rounds of Winchester Dynapoint ammo and my gun jammed all the time. The bolt would not close. I thought is was just dirty and so I cleaned it thoroughly and oiled it and they still jam all the time. I started measuring the ammo. The lead on the Winchester ammo runs from .226 to .230. The average was about .2294.
I tried some Federal shells and they ran through just fine. They measured .225"-.226". Remington ammo worked well and it was around .226.
I think Winchester has a real quality problem with their 22 ammo and I have over 2000 rounds in storage. I'm calling them tomorrow to see what they say about the sizing of their ammo and to remedy my problem! I found a number for them at 618 258 2000 if anyone else experiences this problem.
.............Jim
Old March 31, 2013, 05:11 PM   #32
22-rimfire

Jimjakosh: Winchester is generally my last choice for plinking ammo. I am not interested enough to measure them like some.

Welcome to the forum. Try to start a new thread rather than resurecting a 1 year+ old thread. But then, today is Easter and what happened today?
Old March 31, 2013, 05:14 PM   #33
swfan

cci mini mag best for the beretta neos the green tag is too long and hangs up
Old March 31, 2013, 06:26 PM   #34
skimbell

I've got a couple of 10-22's and to be honest with you, I shoot whatever I happen to buy. I can't recall ever having a FTF in either of the rifles.
I just looked in my cabinet and I've got 4 boxs of Federal and 3 boxes of Remington sitting back and I'm working on another box of Federal right now.
I seem to remember last fall opening a box of Agulia and I know that I didn't have any problems with that either.
Might just be the guns, but I've never had a problem that I can remember with anything I bought.
Old April 1, 2013, 03:19 PM   #35
erob3

Seeing that this thread is 1 1/2 years old I would like to wish the OP good luck in finding alot of any type .22 ammo right now at all. Things have been more available lately but it's still been tough. I think we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old April 1, 2013, 05:28 PM   #36
9mmsnoopy

I like CCI mini mags and Winchester super x, but i will buy any of them as long as its American made.
Bushmaster AR15

Tags
.22lr , 22lr , cci , semi auto , semi-auto