The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 8, 2012, 09:00 AM   #26
FJ4ZROX

+1 for it has to be what YOU like to shoot and enjoy owning (as a shooter or collectible piece). Your interests and tastes may change over the years as well.

For "notable weapons", I think most have been mentioned.

I have mainly focused on 9mm semi autos and 1911's with my sole interest in revolvers being Colt "snake guns". Then just recently, I have been looking more at heavy barreled/target rifles and bigger caliber revolvers. Others may prefer 40S&W as "caliber of choice" or say they won't own a Glock as part of a "collection." To me, my Glocks are another fine example of a reliable/accurate 9mm - not the best (IMHO), but certainly worthy of a place in a accumulation/collection.

I couldn't care less what others thought about my accumulation or collection of weapons (I also like knives) - they are what I like and can appreciate the work involved in searching, finding, saving, purchasing, and USING them.
Old August 8, 2012, 05:31 PM   #27
BigJimP

( and you have a model 19 S&W ( .357 mag) / and a model 29 ( .44 mag) ...and a Beretta M9 ....).....Colt 1911 ....sure if that is what you want..

I'm a shooter / I collect nice guns - and I shoot them all....regardless if they're $ 500 guns or $ 5,000 guns...

But for your consideration:
To finish up your revolvers:
a. S&W model 17 or 18 revolver in .22 ...they're the classic K-22 Masterpiece or Combat Masterpiece. Personally, I like the model 18 in a 4". Its a K frame ...but it is iconic and affordable.

b. S&W model 27 or 28 ...N frames / .357 mag...the mod 28 is the "Highway Patrolman" satin blued finish / the dressed up version is the model 27 in bright blue or Nickel. Add a 4" or 6" version of either...I'd go with the mod 27. I'd keep the model 19 as well ...a good K frame .357 mag is a nice gun too. The mod 29 is an N frame too ...but you need one in .357 mag as well.

c. Colt revolvers - if you like them ...add a Python when you can.../you'll have to stretch that budget a little / in my mind the mod 27 S&W and the Python are equivalent in terms of quality - but I'm a S&W revolver guy.

d. single action revolver ...Colt is a nice gun so put one on your short list. If you want to look at a modern version of the Colt ...look at Freedom Arms out of Wyoming. Again not in your budget under $1,000 ...but iconic none the less. There are other options out there....but the triggers on a Freedom Arms will make you cry little tears of joy ...and a Colt trigger can be improved...if you want the Colt name. But a single action revolver ..in any caliber is a nice addition / and you can find them in .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 Colt ...or even .454 Casull if you go to Freedom Arms.

1911's ....
a. sure add a Colt if that's what you want..../ personally I'd add a curent mfg like Ed Brown or Wilson Combat to your Xmas list instead of a Colt - but its your list - not mine / Wilson Combat is not in your budget if its under $1,000....but down the road. I'd get a 5" gun ...in .45 acp and one in 9mm ...as a set / and if you want a Colt ...there were some 9mm's made..hard to find but they're out there. But a 1911 in 9mm and in .45 acp is a cornerstone of a good collection.

Sig 226's ....carried by a lot of law enforcement departments now ...some units in Navy, US Treasury, Homeland security, FBI, etc...

that'll keep you busy ...and easily eat up about $ 12,000 or so ..../ but its a start..../ and no matter what - make sure you have fun in the process !
Old August 8, 2012, 06:32 PM   #28
Chris37

Quote:
But for your consideration:
To finish up your revolvers:
a. S&W model 17 or 18 revolver in .22 ...they're the classic K-22 Masterpiece or Combat Masterpiece. Personally, I like the model 18 in a 4". Its a K frame ...but it is iconic and affordable.

b. S&W model 27 or 28 ...N frames / .357 mag...the mod 28 is the "Highway Patrolman" satin blued finish / the dressed up version is the model 27 in bright blue or Nickel. Add a 4" or 6" version of either...I'd go with the mod 27. I'd keep the model 19 as well ...a good K frame .357 mag is a nice gun too. The mod 29 is an N frame too ...but you need one in .357 mag as well.

c. Colt revolvers - if you like them ...add a Python when you can.../you'll have to stretch that budget a little / in my mind the mod 27 S&W and the Python are equivalent in terms of quality - but I'm a S&W revolver guy.

d. single action revolver ...Colt is a nice gun so put one on your short list. If you want to look at a modern version of the Colt ...look at Freedom Arms out of Wyoming. Again not in your budget under $1,000 ...but iconic none the less. There are other options out there....but the triggers on a Freedom Arms will make you cry little tears of joy ...and a Colt trigger can be improved...if you want the Colt name. But a single action revolver ..in any caliber is a nice addition / and you can find them in .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 Colt ...or even .454 Casull if you go to Freedom Arms.

1911's ....
a. sure add a Colt if that's what you want..../ personally I'd add a curent mfg like Ed Brown or Wilson Combat to your Xmas list instead of a Colt - but its your list - not mine / Wilson Combat is not in your budget if its under $1,000....but down the road. I'd get a 5" gun ...in .45 acp and one in 9mm ...as a set / and if you want a Colt ...there were some 9mm's made..hard to find but they're out there. But a 1911 in 9mm and in .45 acp is a cornerstone of a good collection.

Sig 226's ....carried by a lot of law enforcement departments now ...some units in Navy, US Treasury, Homeland security, FBI, etc...

that'll keep you busy ...and easily eat up about $ 12,000 or so ..../ but its a start..../ and no matter what - make sure you have fun in the process !
Now THIS sounds like a great list! You're thinking along the same lines as I do!

I really do prefer Colt as a brand for 1911's but would consider others. Maybe a nice set of revolvers in different calibers as well. Need a SAA Colt as well as a Luger P08.

Right now I think I'm going to concentrate on my third acquisition of a Model 29-2 Smith and Wesson and go from there.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:52 PM   #29
BigJimP

Great minds - just think alike.......( a man cannot have too many S&W revolvers or 1911's )...its just not possible / although I am quickly reaching the point where I no longer want anything....

Here are some of mine...

a. a model 29 8 3/8" in nickel / and a pair of 629's

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1340222605

b. some of my 1911's ....
Attachment 83033

c. a Freedom Arms 4 3/4" octagon barrel in .357 mag / a nickel mod 27-2 4" .357 mag ...and a Henry Big Boy rifle in .357 mag...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1340222605

I like .357 mag and .44 mag a lot ...!

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old August 8, 2012, 07:01 PM   #30
OsOk-308

I would suggest some of these handguns:

1911a1
Smith and wesson 29 (I personally prefer the 629, but that's just my preference)
Colt Python
Browning Hi-Power
Walther p38
if getting a .40 maybe one polymer pistol (though not collectible, fun to shoot)
One Sig pistol
MAC 10 hahaha
Old August 8, 2012, 10:26 PM   #31
Willie Sutton

Or just start with the history of the US Martial Handgun from early revolver to today and then build on the theme later.

Nice selection:

Colt 1860 Army (Uberti copy).

Colt 1872 Peacemaker (Uberti Copy).

Colt M1911A1

Colt or S&W .45 ACP revolver, Model of 1917

Colt or Smith & Wesson .38 service revolver (pick the opposite manufacturer as from the 1917 above).

Beretta 92 nee M-9

That's a nice representation of from a number of different viewpoints: Martial, revolver v/s auto, and the general history of the repeating handgun from cap and ball to today.

After that you can branch out into filling-in different Colt and S&W revolvers, and see what else you end up being interested in. Think about adding samples from the adversaries: Walther P-38, Luger, Nambu, etc. Think about adding arms of the Allies: Webly, etc. Then perhaps rifles, then... well then let your mind and budget dictate. It's a lifetime of education to enjoy. The study of the arms leads to a study of history, and that's the beginning of an entire holistic education.

Enjoy!

Willie

Old August 9, 2012, 03:15 PM   #32
Pianoguy

I like to collect interesting guns that fill some kind of niche. But at the same time I like to shoot them (and so justify buying them) as well as having some kind of practical application if possible for CC. So I have my 1911, a Colt SAA (replica), a snub-nose revolver (2 actually), a couple of 22LR target pistols, a pocket pistol or 2, some compact 380's and some compact 9mms. Only 4 or 5 see much use these days. I still want to buy some more but want to have some kind of point to it. I know I need a full-size revolver (a niche gun) but after that itbecomes an issue as to where to go next and hopefully get the most for my money one way or another. I make lots of lists based on types of guns, either by manufaturer (like all the Berettas I can buy), caliber (say a bunch of 22LR plinkers, etc) or use (like a bunch of compact 9mms for CC) and what I want seems to change every day. Or maybe just buy the best gun available thinking that it might be my last and let the future worry about itself (but if the tehre is a future I end up with a bunch of guns I might not have any need for). At the moment I'm going to stick to Berettas and Walthers, just alternate between the 2 for each purchase and just have a collection of each. Since I bought a Beretta last next up will be a Walther, probably a PPQ, or maybe one of each like a P22 and a Nano. But tomorrow I might be thinking about something else. But it's fun!
Old August 9, 2012, 03:56 PM   #33
Chris37

I actually went online today and really started making a list of what I truly would want in my collection...at least to start. I'd like to start buying attainable guns that aren't in the thousands of dollars yet and then work my way up to the high-dollar pieces.

For starters in the revolvers I'd really like to have:

1960's Colt Python .357 Magnum with 6" Barrel
1960's Colt Detective Special .38 Special with 2" Barrel
1960's Smith and Wesson Model 36 .38 Special with 2" Barrel
1960's Smith and Wesson Model 29-2 .44 Magnum with 6 1/2" Barrel
1960's Smith and Wesson Model 27-2 .357 Magnum with 6" Barrel
1973 Smith and Wesson Model 19-3 .357 Magnum with 6" Barrel (Owned)
1873-1900 Colt Single Action Army .45 Long Colt with 7 1/2" Barrel

Semi-Auto's:

Beretta M9 9mm (owned)
1940's Colt M1911 .45 ACP
1940's Luger P08 9mm
Sig Sauer P226 9mm
IMI Desert Eagle .50 AE
Glock 19 9mm
CZ-75B 9mm
1960's Walther PPK 9mm

Anything I'm forgetting? This could be a very long, long process. Maybe 2 or 3 firearms per year for many, many years. But it should be fun!
Old August 9, 2012, 05:16 PM   #34
BigJimP

Let it evolve over time ....

After you've fired 10,000 rds thru one kind of platform ...maybe you won't like some of the other platforms....things do change !

Even though many of us have lots of handguns in our collections....we often use 4 or 5 of them as our "primary guns" ...that we train with all the time. The rest of them kind of fill in - fun days ( a .44 mag revolver day / a S&W K frame day ( .22, .38 spl,.357 mag) ...a Sig Sauer day or whatever ).... shaking it up, makes it a little more fun.

I might be able to run a drill ( drawing, double tapping a target under 4 sec all day long with one of my primary 5" 1911's ..) ....but what can I do with a K frame revoler in 4" in .38 spl or shooting full power .357 mag loads ...or with a Sig 226 ( way different trigger and width and feel than a 1911 )....
Old August 9, 2012, 06:08 PM   #35
cookie5

Going along with your purchases,,Don't buy a whole bunch of low end trash, buy a small collection of high quality reliable guns that have parts availability are easy to fix and shoot common easy to get ammo. And I would add a thought as to instead of getting tons of guns take the $$$$ and stock up on ammo or get into reloading with a progressive press as reloading is a fun part of shooting.

Last edited by cookie5; August 9, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:02 AM   #36
kilimanjaro

Buying firearms is like furnishing your house. Make do with the Goodwill stuff while you buy one nice piece of furniture each year for as many years as it takes to furnish your house. Buy quality, it will last a lifetime.

Iconic handguns, to me:

Luger, Colt 1911, Mauser Broomhandle, S&W Model 29, the K-22, Colt 1873, Nagant and Webley revolvers.

Long guns : Martini-Henry, US Krag, Sprinfield 1903 and 1903A3, Garand, M1 carbine, M14, K98, Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk. III, No. 4, and No. 5 Jungle carbine, Winchester 1873, Winchester 94, Ruger No. 1, and any quality reproduction of the Sharps or Rolling Blocks, and the new Stgw 44 in .22LR, it's going to be quite popular.
Old February 18, 2013, 04:23 AM   #37
Darto

Walker Colt
Colt 1873 SAA
Colt M1911 auto
S&W 29
P08 Parabellum
Browning HiPower
Ruger Blackhawk
Glock
Old February 18, 2013, 04:28 AM   #38
Darto

Walker Colt
Colt 1873 SAA
Colt M1911 auto
S&W 29
P08 Parabellum
Browning HiPower
Ruger Blackhawk
Glock
Old February 18, 2013, 10:27 PM   #39
Winchester_73

My collection doesn't really have a central theme. So am I an accumulator?
Old February 18, 2013, 11:01 PM   #40
TxFlyFish

avoid clones and avoid junk (except glock ) quality over quantity. No imitation just the real deal

$50 Vegas buffet not $7 Sesame chicken buffet
Old February 18, 2013, 11:35 PM   #41
*NOVA*

Whatever gun you buy, I think it does not have to be expensive, but it should be well made. Stick to that rule and try not to trade any of them away unless its for a better gun. First gun I owned was a modest little SW Model 10. I traded it at a LGS, so as you can guess I did not get much for it. I sure miss that Model 10. Doesn't matter how many people will turn their nose up at it, it was a nice looking piece of metal art, fired every time and had a nice weight and feel to it. Maybe one day, If I have a few bucks to spare and run across another one, I'll buy it and hold on to it for good.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:55 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

I have both, an accumulation, and a collection....

Over the last few decades I have aquired a number of handguns, some have moved on, most have stayed. You can group them into collections several different ways.

You could do it by caliber, grouping all the same calibers as a collection.
You could group them by general type, semis, DA Revolvers, SA revolvers, etc.
You could group them by historical grouping, such as WW II service handguns, or whatever...

If you are looking for iconic handguns, you have a large field of choice.

Many guns will fit in more than one group, iconic and historic are often together in the same guns. For example, my 9mm collection has historic and iconic handguns. Not all of them, but several.
My 9mms are a Tec 9, a Contender barrel, A C96 Broomhandle Mauser, Bolo, in 9mm, a 1936 P08 Luger, a 42 Walther P.38, and a stainless steel made in the USA new in the box Luger.

Now, my milsurp collection, would be a WW I Webley Mk VI in .455, a Mauser HSc in .32ACP (nazi marked), GI 1911A1 Remington Rand slide, and the Luger and P.38 9mms

I have a few Ruger SAs I guess you could call it a collection, Blackhawks in .45 Colt, .44 mag (superBlkhk), .357 Mag, Vaqueros in .45 Colt (2 SS 4.5"), and a 5.5" Vaquero and Vaquero Bisley. Also a 5.5" New Vaquero, also .45 Colt. And a Super Single Six .22. Also in the SA group would be my .45 Colt Uberti Schoefield.

My DA revolvers are S&Ws M29-2, M28-2 M66, M17, and a Colt Agent. Oh, and the Webley...

I have a couple of Contender frames, and around a dozen barrels. Nobody mentioned them yet, but that single shot handgun is certainly iconic in my book.

My .22 sport pistols are Ruger Mk I target, a Browning Challenger, and a pair of Stoeger .22 Lugers. And a Contender barrel...

So, you can see that there are lots of different ways to go...

I do have one collection I think is unique, and one I don't think you could easily duplicate, as it took me quite some time to get all of them. And that is a collection of all the "first generation" magnum autopistols from the 70s on.
Auto Mag, Desert Eagle, Wildey,LAR Grizzly, and Coonan. Now that sirs, I consider a collection!
What do you think?
Old February 19, 2013, 01:13 PM   #43
TrueTexan

All need a S&W. Model 10 38 spl
Old February 19, 2013, 03:46 PM   #44
P5 Guy

Collections

Collecting firearms is like collecting planes (the woodworking kind) I don't see it. That's just me firearms are tools I've got a few and I have some that I'd never part with.
S&W 17 no dash from 1957
My three M1s I had to have three to use the stacking swivel.
Other than those I'm not into collecting.

Firearms I think are Icons; Mauser C96 that was the first viable semi-auto pistol, Browning's HiPower, Springfield Trapdoor the gun that really won the west, The M1 rifle, the greatest battle implement known to man.
For more modern ones I'd say the S&W model 39, I know Glock 17 wasn't the first but is the best known polymer framed handgun, to leave out the Armalite model 15 would be a crime.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #45
lockedcj7

I don't pretend that my 'collection' has any special value or significance for a true collector. It's more than just a random accumulation though.

Most of my guns fill a niche for me or they're just guns that I've always wanted. I've had my share of Stars, Rugers, Glocks, later model Smiths and I still have some of them.

As time, money and opportunity have allowed, I've sold and traded most to replace them with Sigs, Colts, and earlier Smiths. I can see myself continuing to refine my 'collection' and add to it with the gems that I find along the way.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:58 PM   #46
Cheapshooter

Quote:
My collection doesn't really have a central theme. So am I an accumulator?
Same here, but with a signature line like mine I could be more of a hoarder.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 19, 2013, 10:24 PM   #47
9mm

Quote:
Starting a gun collection
What ever you want, personally I think its up to you, and your money.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:51 PM   #48
shouldazagged

Iconic, with some historical interest? How about a Smith 36 or 60? One of the Centennial snubbies--mine is a 640, but there are a few 40's around. Maybe a Colt Detective Special, Agent or Cobra.

The snub revolvers have taken a very prominent place in handgun culture over the last sixty years.

I'm prejudiced. I love Smith J-frames. But a good older Model 15 would be a great addition, as would a Model 10.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:32 AM   #49
FairWarning

You've gotten off to a good start, Chris. Nice choices.

I don't consider any Glock a "collector" piece, however. More like a tool or appliance.

To have a great collection, you'll need some iconic WWII and Cold War guns:

WWII:

Browning Hi Power
P38
P08
MP40 (ok, at least it shoots 9mm!)

Cold War:

HK P7 PSP or M8
CZ75
HK P9S
Sig Sauer P226

Classics:

Ruger Super Blackhawk .45 Colt or .44 Mag
S&W Mod 27
Old February 20, 2013, 07:21 AM   #50
shafter

Quote:
What, no Colt SAA?
My sentiments exactly. That should be at the top of the list with the Colt 1911 and M1 Garand!