The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 2010, 11:47 AM   #1
McPhee

Shooting only caps

I saw in one thread that sometimes bp shooters run some CCI caps alone without a bp load or ball.

I have need to make a small bang now and then to shut up my dogs (they stop barking at the cats and head for the dog house) or to chase off a stray animal without actually shooting them.

If I shoot caps now and then in my bp, does it cause enough corrosive residue that I would have wash down and clean like I was shooting regular loads? Or is it minimal?

I guess I could buy a starter pistol and blanks, but that costs money I could use on bp guns.
Old December 18, 2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Pahoo

You have stumbled onto a weakness that dogs have toward loud popping noises. I first found out that this works, when I would pop a paper bag. Some really have a time of it during the 4th. of July. Yes, they will respond to your caps but better than this, try popping a pellet gun without inserting a pellet. I have a Rotweiler for as a neighbor and they love to bark. I wait and when the barking goes on for too long, I just pop my pellet gun. He charges into his garage and sometimes will not come out for a couple of hours. I like the dog but sometimes it gets to be too much as he really can't help this barking.

I would think that just about any loud pop will give you the results you want and you can save you caps as well as eliminating any of souce of corrosion. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old December 18, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
I saw in one thread that sometimes bp shooters run some CCI caps alone without a bp load or ball.
Where they popping caps to make noise or to clear the nipples of crud and oil? Some folks recommend at least two caps per nipple before first loading.
Old December 18, 2010, 12:26 PM   #4
mykeal

Pahoo's right on target. Try something else first, like a paper bag, balloon or a pellet gun. Dog's ears are very sensitive to loud pops and a percussion cap could damage them if too close.

However, if that's what it takes, yes, the residue from caps can be corrosive. It should only require rinsing out the nipple, the chamber and the nipple recess in the cylinder, however. A bit of a good bp solvent will work fine.
Old December 18, 2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Popping an occasional cap to chase off critters or silence a barking dog will not cause your nipples or pistol to disolve into a pile of rust and corrosion for a long time. As long as you clean the gun a couple times a year you should be ok. Back in the day when I was shooting muzzleloaders regularly, the nipple and flash cup only got cleaned after three or four matches, not every time I shot it. - One rifle is 20+ years old and has the original nipple that is still serviceable and in excellent shape.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 18, 2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Noz

Fingers, there you go again trying to induce sanity into a black powder conversation.

I use #11 caps for timer stoppers on my BP revolvers. Start timer, pick up shotgun and load two dummies, click click and shuck them, pick up rifle with a dummy round in mag, lever click, draw first pistol bang, reholster, draw second pistol, bang reholster. check time. Damn that was slow. Never worry about corrosion.
Old December 18, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Hellgate

I believe it says right on the cap package "noncorrosive" but I don't have one in front of me to prove it.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 18, 2010, 07:38 PM   #8
junkman_01

I just checked my supplies and CCI caps do say 'non-corrosive' on the top of the tin. My Winchester and CVA cap containers do not say one way or the other.
Old December 18, 2010, 08:17 PM   #9
mykeal

The reference to 'non-corrosive' is to differentiate modern caps from previous designs that used very corrosive mercury fulminate. While the new caps won't cause the gun to dissolve into a pile of rust (why say something like that? did you really think I even remotely implied such a thing?) they do produce hygroscopic combustion by-products. In the right environment that can be damaging, even if only cosmetic. I personally prefer to keep my nipple environment clean. 'nuff said.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Hardy

McKeal is right. Clean your nipples out w/ a nichol wrapped guitar string though if you do pop um.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:56 PM   #11
HisSoldier

Quote:
Some folks recommend at least two caps per nipple before first loading.
Those folks have stock in the primer manufacturers.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old January 4, 2011, 04:57 AM   #12
kadima

^^^^^ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!^^^^^^

At my firing range all the targets are activated by compressed air, therefore there is a compressed air pistol for cleaning. A spray of compressed air in the nipples before firing is all I do. I don't waste RWS primers @ 5 Euro-cent each!

K.