The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old November 23, 2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Shoes

Bartering hunting/fishing experiences

I recently found a web site where one person might trade a hog hunt in the south for a deer hunt in the north. One guy said he would trade a trophy bass fishing trip in Florida for a mule deer hunt in the Rockies.

I wonder if we should start something like that between members here? I'd love to shoot hogs and would trade a Lake Michigan salmon/trout fishing trip out of Chicago's lake front on a 33' charter boat.

I thought the idea was genius.... What do you think?

Shoes
Old November 23, 2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Are you talking about "real" trips or Joe Bubba lets you use his leaky row boat to fish his favorite public lake and you let Joe Bubba use your leaky deer camp to hunt your 11 acres?

Trading "real" trips would seem pointless, since the cost would not likely off-set and, if it did, why wouldn't you just pay for the one you wanted? If it's just you and Joe Bubba, pretty much anybody can go to pretty much any state and find public land, or accessible private land, to hunt or fish.

You know what I mean? You could promise, and deliver, an awesome fishing trip in your fancy boat and then Joe Bubba takes you to Alabama and points at the swamp and says "Pigs in there."

Either way, seems pointless. I could be wrong.
Old November 23, 2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Deerhunter

I don't think it is that bad of an idea. If you know of some good hunting spots that you would be willing to take someone too for say deer in your state and you can hook up with someone that will take you out on a hog hunt in their state that is cool. I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it cause I am hurting on hunting spots though.
Old November 23, 2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Shoes

Peetzakiller has a point.

I, however, would be a terror of someone calling me out, on this forum at a like to be a member of, if I failed to provide an experience that I would expect someone to provide for me. I guess it would be up to each of us to contact each other and to set the expecations on both sides.

My vision might be, somone from Texas offers to pick me up from the airport and take me to the local motel. The next morning he'd pick me up and off to the hog grounds. Repete for day two. Next morning back to the airport.

In exchange, I'd do the same for him when I took him out, on the boat, for salmon/trout fishing.

Of course, if my host really put me on the pigs, I'd feel obligated to treat him and his wife for a steak dinner and drinks before I left town.

On the other hand, there is always a d-bag that will take advantage of others kindness.

I just have no idea what it takes to hunt hogs on public land or private, hence the thought of a barter system....
Old November 24, 2010, 04:06 AM   #5
shortwave

A friend of mine here in Ohio barters for a deep sea fishing trip in exchange for a deer hunting every year. He owns a small local gun / bait store and met some guys in Fla. through one of his suppliers. They've been bartering these trips for the last ten years and have become very close friends.

Quote:
...there will always be some d-bag that will take advantage of someones kindness
Very sad but true.

Still, all in all I believe it's not a bad idea.
Old November 24, 2010, 09:35 AM   #6

Peet is sort of our resident Devil's Advocate here.

Just ribb'in ya Peetza... a bit of devil's advocate is not such a bad thing. That being said, I agree that the idea of a fair trade is a genuine concern. I could take a potential trade partner to the Saginaw Bay this winter for a 3 day Walleye ice fishing trip. Now this is some of the best water in the US for Walleye......not uncommon to hang a stringer of 5 with a total weight of 40+ lbs. and potential for a 11+ lb. mounter. However, it's fishing, we could go bonanza for three days or bust....it's fishing. Let's say we have the best three days of fishing I've ever experienced and my partner can't deliver on his end. What then? Does he keep having me back for whatever until he delivers?
I agree this is a pretty good idea but, there would have to be a good amount of communication and planning to pull off an equal value trade. I think Peet has hit both ends of the extreme with paid trips and Joe Bubba examples. I think some where in the middle is the most likely scenario. If a guy could put me on an elk hunt on public land I see it as an opportunity to go with a guy who knows the area. He would have knowledge of what equipment I would need. He could help with setting up lodging and transportation and in general make sure I'm not going in blind. I think there would be a huge financial savings over "just paying for the trip you want". JMO.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 24, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by .284
Just ribb'in ya Peetza... a bit of devil's advocate is not such a bad thing.
I prefer to think of it as pointing out reality!

I agree, it could be a good, even great, thing. Managing expectations would be the trick.

There's no reason that it couldn't work, people even swap homes with each other to make for low cost vacations.

I don't see why the OP couldn't start a thread for just such a purpose. It would be a good idea to inquire with a moderator first but I don't see how it violates the forum rules. I would suspect that some sort of disclaimer would be in order, that TFL is not affiliated with the project and makes no warranties, expressed or implied....
Old November 24, 2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Deerhunter

I look at like this....Hunting is hunting and fishing is fishing. It isn't shooting/killing and it isn't catching. A friend of mine just went to Ohio deer hunting. Paid $2700, drove out there paid like $150 for his tags and came home with NOTHING.

So I want to go to somewhere and hunt. You have some property or access to pretty good public land. I drive to what ever state it is and you give me info on lodging and what not. We go out and hunt for 3, 4 or 5 days. Maybe I get something maybe not.

Years ago I had a boat...So you want to go catch flounder, weakfish and blue fish. You come to where I am at and I set you up the same way. We go out fishing for 3, 4 or 5 days.

My thing is either side of the deal your on, you would be out hunting or fishing anyway so what is the big deal to have someone else along with you. Even with a lot of the expensive hunts there are no guarantees.

Maybe I am looking at this too simply.
Old November 24, 2010, 11:46 PM   #9
LSnSC

It can work but you have to darned sure the other side can reciprocate. Ive done it and got the stinky end of the stick a couple of times. I put hogs in guys laps. Had stands and feeders ready and all the had to do was climb up and wait for the shot. Their hotspots turned out to be not so hot, really halfassed at best.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:08 AM   #10
hooligan1

Hey I'm with shoes, Let's see, uh let me try this one, Taylorce1 if you pick me up at the airport and take me Elk, Muledeer, and Pronghorn hunting, I'll pick you up at KCI and take you crappie fishing!!! Unless you want to go Bass-fishing instead. And by the way My 2003 19 ft. Champion< doesn't leak a drop!!
Old November 25, 2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnSC
...It can work but you have to darned sure the other side can reciprocate.....Ive done it and got the stinky end of the stick a couple of times.....Their hotspots turned out to be not so hot, really halfassed at best.
I agree.....the only up side with a swap is you're not out any hard cash.

Hard to put a value on a hunt that doesn't produce expected results....as much as we know there are no guarantees in this sport, someone is going to feel cheated.

I provided an Iowa Whitetail bow hunt once to a couple of fellas from Pennsylvania, got them some nice wall hanger bucks to take home. Came time for my trip, they backed out of the deal citing work schedule conflicts....learned my lesson, never again.
Old November 25, 2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Shoes

I see this may have been a bad idea..... Forget it. Let the thread die.